Super Bowl X Steelers 21 vs Cowboys 17
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-10-2017, 06:49 AM

Super Bowl X Steelers 21 vs Cowboys 17

Lynn Swann soars in the greatest big-game performance by any receiver ever in one of the greatest Super Bowls ever played! Dallas turns a botched Steelers punt into a quick 7 points and in spite of Pittsburgh's statistical dominance, the Cowboys actually lead 10-7 after 3 quarters. But the 4th quarter is all Pittsburgh as the Steel Curtain and a rabid Jack Lambert shine in one of the most exciting Super Bowls of all time. Swann is clearly the star, hauling in 4 miraculous catches for 161 yards and the game-winning TD. But Lambert is a close 2nd for MVP in this one. I'm telling you, he just EXPLODES on people in a complete frenzy, screaming & yelling, flailing his arms, getting in people's faces. His body-slam of Cliff Harris gets a lot of press, but what Lambert did while the clock was running is much more impressive. There are a couple of solo tackles Lambert makes that sound like gunshots. This was in Jan. of '75, folks... there were no fancy-schmancy, high-tech mics to enhance the sound of the hits back then. He's just HAMMERING people. The tide turns in Pittsburgh's favor for good when Reggie Harrison blocks a punt for a safety early in the final period. A Gerela FG a shortly thereafter gives Pittsburgh a 12-10 lead and a brilliant Mike Wagner INT deep in Dallas territory sets up another Gerela FG a few plays later. The nail in the coffin is Lynn Swann's final catch of the afternoon, a picture-perfect 64-yard deep post from Bradshaw (voted "the Greatest Pass of All Time" by NFL Films) to give Pittsburgh an insurmountable 21-10 lead. Give Dallas credit... they fight until the bitter end, but Glen Edwards picks off Staubach's final desperation pass in the end zone as time expires. One of my absolute favorite games! Includes complete halftime show, plus lots of pregame & extensive postgame stuff and even all of the old commercials. 
Unregistered

04-25-2017, 04:04 AM

This is my favourite Super Bowl and I say this as neither a Steelers or Cowboys fan but a UK based Niners supporter. From the actual kick off with the Pearson to Henderson reverse, to the final desperate throw into the end zone and Glen Edwards interception. Its a magnificent but most unusual game with so many twists and turns. Two things stand out most for me....the relentless Steelers defence that in the latter part of the 3rd and most of the 4th quarter just destroys Dallas offence....many claim that Landry played it too conservatively but just look at the Steelers front four and linerbackers. Their dominance overwhelms the Cowboys and its like a dam that can no longer hold back the onrushing water. The Steelers then take control and gain a seemingly decisive lead. Which leads me to my second stand out moment....the unknown Percy Howard. A basketball player this is his only ever touchdown in the NFL. It comes in a super bowl against the greatest defence ever and then with three seconds left he is so close to catching a hail mary pass and becoming a legend in Dallas. If you watch the play on NFL films then the ball actually hits his helmet as he jumps and evaded two Steelers. It is a remarkable moment and does not get the publicity it deserves because Lynn Swanns brilliance ultimately wins the game in terms of offence. But this is an incredible super bowl and Im not even mentioning Chuck Knolls decision not to punt on 4th down near the end. Your site is pure genius. Thank you so much. Matt
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-25-2017, 11:45 PM

I couldn't agree more regarding Pittsburgh's defensive dominance during the second half of the game, Matt. You're right on the money. It wasn't a case of Landry being conservative; the Steel Curtain just completely shut Dallas down. Completely. The announcers mention multiple times late in the game that "Dallas is in trouble," even while the Cowboys are still clinging to a lead on the scoreboard. 

Thanks for the kudos on the site! Very glad you're enjoying it.
Unregistered

05-01-2017, 10:35 PM

(04-25-2017, 11:45 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: I couldn't agree more regarding Pittsburgh's defensive dominance during the second half of the game, Matt. You're right on the money. It wasn't a case of Landry being conservative; the Steel Curtain just completely shut Dallas down. Completely. The announcers mention multiple times late in the game that "Dallas is in trouble," even while the Cowboys are still clinging to a lead on the scoreboard. 

Thanks for the kudos on the site! Very glad you're enjoying it.

More than a pleasure. It is a wonderful site so thanks to YOU and without question this is the greatest defence ever to take the field.  It is a bank holiday Monday here in the UK and so I am off work and about to sample another classic game...the previous years Superbowl against the Vikings.  I cannot do justice to how good this website is and I am sure many thousands of Steelers and non Stelers fans will feel the same.  Very best wishes. Matt
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-02-2017, 07:32 AM

Again, thank you, Matt. Thumbsup  If you don't mind my asking, how did you find your way to the site?
Unregistered

05-29-2017, 07:10 PM

(05-02-2017, 07:32 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Again, thank you, Matt. Thumbsup  If you don't mind my asking, how did you find your way to the site?

Hi mate

It was through youtube....although American football only came to the UK in 82 I was quickly aware of the legendary Steelers from the seventies.  I love the Niners but I am appreciative off all great football and especially love defensive struggles which is why I am not a huge fan of modern day football.  I bought the Steelers history dvd some years ago and was simply in awe of how good the defence was.  On youtube I suddenly found plenty of old games and a treasure trove of great Steelers matches thanks to yourself Tim.  I know all about the frustrations of having your videos blocked.  I am a Liverpool fc fan and did compilation season reviews of Liverpool from 76-83 but two have been blocked so I can appreciate your decision to bypass youtube and the idiocy of the NFL.  Your website  is amazing for fans like me who love nfl action from the seventies.  Cheers pal and keep up the good work.  Matt
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-30-2017, 07:44 AM

That hit LC laid on Robert Newhouse after Cliff Harris taunted Gerala. Wow!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-30-2017, 09:18 AM

(05-30-2017, 07:44 AM)Crash Wrote: That hit LC laid on Robert Newhouse after Cliff Harris taunted Gerala. Wow!

Totally BAD ASS! Even Lambert was goin' crazy after that hit!  Rockon   For anyone who wants to enjoy that hit, it's at the 110:27 mark and you can REALLY see L.C.'s hit in the replay.

The "Oh, so close" award goes to Franco Harris at the 126:20 mark. Franco was a pinky toe away from an 82-yard TD reception. He just ever so slightly touched the white of the sideline, which is too bad, because he was GONE.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-30-2017, 01:40 PM

Pay attention to the sound, you can actually hear how violent that hit by L.C. was.
Unregistered

06-07-2017, 09:36 AM

The bigger the game the bigger Lynn Swann played.

You absolutely could count on a guy like Swann in money games.

And he was never better than on this Super Sunday
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-12-2017, 05:11 AM

I can't believe Tom Brookshire picked the Chief's pocket for that stogie!
Unregistered

06-24-2017, 09:17 PM

I totally agree with all the comments above. There aren't many times in Roger Staubach's legendary career where you see Captain America frustrated. Yet, in the fourth quarter, following yet another sack, and Pat Summerall saying, "Dallas is in trouble!" you see Staubach's face is just a blanket of frustration. He's like, "What am I supposed to do? I've got like 3, 4, 5 guys in my face, and absolutely nothing to throw to downfield! Mel Blount just sent my receiver into the concession stand, my other receiver is beat up, and my lineman is limping off the field with a separated shoulder. Help! Help!" Pittsburgh, starting from the moment Lambert threw Cliff Harris to the ground, just got turned on and really beat America's team to a pulp.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-24-2017, 10:00 PM

(06-24-2017, 09:17 PM)Guest Wrote: I totally agree with all the comments above. There aren't many times in Roger Staubach's legendary career where you see Captain America frustrated. Yet, in the fourth quarter, following yet another sack, and Pat Summerall saying, "Dallas is in trouble!" you see Staubach's face is just a blanket of frustration. He's like, "What am I supposed to do? I've got like 3, 4, 5 guys in my face, and absolutely nothing to throw to downfield! Mel Blount just sent my receiver into the concession stand, my other receiver is beat up, and my lineman is limping off the field with a separated shoulder. Help! Help!" Pittsburgh, starting from the moment Lambert threw Cliff Harris to the ground, just got turned on and really beat America's team to a pulp.

Thumbsup 

The refs refs really kept their hands off in this game, too. Maybe too much in at least one instance. The Steelers dodged a bullet when, on 3rd and forever, Glen Edwards retaliates against Golden Richards, who dives at Edwards' knees with a dirty block well after the whistle. It happens at 147.22. After it happens, Edwards takes both his knees, puts them on Richards' neck, and grinds him into the ground. Richards is down on the field for the next 5 minutes and doesn't return to the game. The ref is standing right there, watching, and has words with Edwards about it (and Edwards goes nuts, complaining that Richard dove at his knees). 

No flag. Laugh  The official saw the cheap shot by Richards, so perhaps he figured they were offsetting penalties, so why bother? But in today's NFL, Edwards probably would've been ejected and definitely would've been fined.

In any case, it was a HUGE non-call because had the refs called Edwards for a personal foul, it would've given Dallas a first down. Instead, Dallas was forced to punt and Bradshaw hit Swann for the 64-yard TD bomb 3 plays later.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-19-2017, 11:08 PM

Before the game, we have a Jack Whitaker commentary, the national anthem courtesy of Up With People, a hilariously uncoordinated introduction of both teams, and Pat and Tommy showing off the official coin used in the coin toss (which we DON'T see), plus an injury update and some general remarks.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-21-2017, 03:11 AM

After the game, we have the trophy presentation (to the future Ambassador this time), Tommy Brookshier and Sonny Jurgensen interviewing the Steelers, Gary Bender in the Cowboys locker room, some highlights, an update from Vin Scully on the final round of the Phoenix Open golf tournament (which was coming up next on CBS), a cameo appearance from noted Cowboys fan Walter Cronkite (who was at the game), and a closing music video set to Frank Sinatra's "Here's To The Winners".

By the way, it's rare that a network personality ever divulges a rooting interest, but Phyllis George cops to being a Dallas fan at the very end.

At halftime, in addition to highlights, we have the halftime show starring Up With People. I might be the only one on the planet who feels this way, considering that they're an object of almost universal ridicule these days, but I enjoyed their show a hell of a lot more than I have most of the more recent Super Bowl halftime shows. There's also a music video comparing the then-current Green Bay Packers to the legendary Lombardi teams of the sixties set to Barbra Streisand's "The Way We Were".
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2017, 03:03 AM by Garrett Garlits.)