1974 AFC Championship Steelers 24 at Raiders 13
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-10-2017, 01:52 PM

1974 AFC Championship Steelers 24 at Raiders 13

The Steel Curtain bankrupts the hated Raiders in perhaps the most pivotal game in team history, limiting the NFL's #1 offense to paltry 29 rushing yards in 21 attempts (a puny 1.4 avg) and forcing Stabler into 3 INTs in spite of a career game by Cliff Branch. The Steelers physically dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball from the outset, but in spite of driving inside the Raider 10 repeatedly, they have only 3 points to show for it after 3 quarters due to poor kicking and mental errors. Harris finally punches it in on the first play of the 4th quarter to tie the game 10 apiece as the Steelers begin a 21-point scoring explosion in the final period. Pittsburgh continues to pile it on following a brilliant Jack Ham INT (his 2nd of the day) which he returns to the Raider 9-yard line to set up Bradshaw's go-ahead 6-yard TD pass to Swann. Franco Harris (29 carries, 111 yds, 2 TD) and Rocky Bleier (18 carries, 98 yds) are superb, punishing the Raiders for over 200 yards on the ground and finally sealing a trip to the Super Bowl on Franco's 21-yd TD scamper in the final minute of the game. Missing a few minutes just before the half; includes lots of old commercials. 
Unregistered

04-15-2017, 08:12 PM

(04-10-2017, 01:52 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: 1974 AFC Championship Steelers 24 at Raiders 13

The Steel Curtain bankrupts the hated Raiders in perhaps the most pivotal game in team history, limiting the NFL's #1 offense to paltry 29 rushing yards in 21 attempts (a puny 1.4 avg) and forcing Stabler into 3 INTs in spite of a career game by Cliff Branch. The Steelers physically dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball from the outset, but in spite of driving inside the Raider 10 repeatedly, they have only 3 points to show for it after 3 quarters due to poor kicking and mental errors. Harris finally punches it in on the first play of the 4th quarter to tie the game 10 apiece as the Steelers begin a 21-point scoring explosion in the final period. Pittsburgh continues to pile it on following a brilliant Jack Ham INT (his 2nd of the day) which he returns to the Raider 9-yard line to set up Bradshaw's go-ahead 6-yard TD pass to Swann. Franco Harris (29 carries, 111 yds, 2 TD) and Rocky Bleier (18 carries, 98 yds) are superb, punishing the Raiders for over 200 yards on the ground and finally sealing a trip to the Super Bowl on Franco's 21-yd TD scamper in the final minute of the game. Missing a few minutes just before the half; includes lots of old commercials. 

I wonder where did you find these classic games did you record them from a VCR or had them given to you by a relative
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-16-2017, 06:50 AM

I started searching for them in '97 when I originally started this site. I was fortunate enough to connect with someone who had original Beta recordings of the '78 and '79 post-season games he generously shared with me and I built on it from there. I've collected the other games from various sources over the years and I have my own recordings from the early 90's on (which I haven't begun to transfer to digital yet). I got out of collecting a good 12-15 years ago and then just recently decided I wanted to convert my old VHS tapes to digital so I could share them with other people before Father Time destroys them. In the old days, there wasn't a practical way to share the video content; now there is. 

Enjoy the games!
Unregistered

06-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Officially, the Steeler dynasty kicked off 2 weeks later in Tulane Stadium.

Unofficially, the Steeler dynasty started here in the 4th quarter at Oakland IMHO (though I could also make a case for the Immaculate Reception)

From a 7-point deficit to an 11-point victory.

The legend of the Steelers began with 15 flawless minutes, 21 points, and only a FG allowed.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-08-2017, 03:17 PM

(06-08-2017, 11:50 AM)Guest Wrote: Officially, the Steeler dynasty kicked off 2 weeks later in Tulane Stadium.

Unofficially, the Steeler dynasty started here in the 4th quarter at Oakland IMHO (though I could also make a case for the Immaculate Reception)

From a 7-point deficit to an 11-point victory.

The legend of the Steelers began with 15 flawless minutes, 21 points, and only a FG allowed.

Well said. That 4th quarter was as good a 15 minutes of football as you will ever see. There's a cool moment in the 1974 "America's Game" where Joe Greene talks about being in "the zone" one time in his life, and it was in the '74 AFC Championship game. 

Joe Greene: In the Zone
Unregistered

07-11-2017, 01:38 AM

One thing about this game, Tim -- I've never seen footage of the play right before halftime where Lambert blocked a field goal. Any idea where that can be found?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-11-2017, 03:03 AM

(07-11-2017, 01:38 AM)Guest Wrote: One thing about this game, Tim -- I've never seen footage of the play right before halftime where Lambert blocked a field goal.  Any idea where that can be found?

Good eye. Sadly, that footage is missing and not available from any source I know of.
Unregistered

07-11-2017, 03:13 AM

cool,

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)