Bell
sandfan
Hall of Famer

08-09-2017, 06:59 AM

I'm curious.  What happens if Bell does not sign the offer?  What happens if the team drops the offer?  Does Bell become a free agent?  

Will the team be awarded draft choices if he signs with another team?  Would the draft choices reflect the contract value he signs or how he performs?  

What if the lad signs with another team and again fails a drug test, do the Steelers still get the choices?  

What happens if the fool fails another drug test before he signs the offer on the table? 

Can he be traded during the impasse?  

I realize all these questions may soon be moot but would appreciate any insight the board would provide.  It's boring until the season starts.  Hope you all understand.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-09-2017, 08:20 AM

(08-09-2017, 06:59 AM)sandfan Wrote: I'm curious.  What happens if Bell does not sign the offer?  What happens if the team drops the offer?  Does Bell become a free agent?  

Will the team be awarded draft choices if he signs with another team?  Would the draft choices reflect the contract value he signs or how he performs?  

What if the lad signs with another team and again fails a drug test, do the Steelers still get the choices?  

What happens if the fool fails another drug test before he signs the offer on the table? 

Can he be traded during the impasse?  

I realize all these questions may soon be moot but would appreciate any insight the board would provide.  It's boring until the season starts.  Hope you all understand.

I can "almost" picture you sitting there wringing your hands in worried anguish as you ask these questions... except that I know you're not really doing that.  Laugh

Bell has an exclusive franchise tag on him, so he can't negotiate with any other team. If he doesn't sign and holds out, then he doesn't play or get paid... and we could conceivably just franchise him again next year, whether he plays or not. 

My understanding is that we could also just drop the tag, and then he's free to do whatever. But I can't see that happening in my wildest dreams unless he somehow gets a serious injury while training before he signs, or in the more likely scenario you just described... another failed drug test. 

Not 100% sure, but I think he COULD be traded, but I think that is far-fetched as well. 

Like you, I think he'll ultimately sign the deal and then hopefully they'll work out a reasonable long-term deal by the time next season rolls around. Or they'll decide to let him go after this year. Or... they could franchise him again as long as they give him a 20% raise.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

08-10-2017, 04:14 AM

Correct and there are also other factors Bell can't control:

1) How well Knile Davis and James Connor perform during his hold-out.
2.) How the team is preforming, are they winning or losing? Are they in a play-off run? Certainly a losing record hurts his chances and lessens the urgency of signing him.
3.) Looking long term does Ben retire after this year? Two tranes of thought here: Ben retires and any thought of a serious SB run are out the window. Bell is not as valuable, team is rebuilding, they let Bell walk and get the draft choice. Probably at lease a 2nd rounder, if not higher. Ben doesn't retire, the window is almost shut, Bell is more valuable and has more bargaining power.
4.) Drug suspension - I could be wrong on this but I think a player suspended for drugs salary does not count against the cap, you get a waiver so to say, almost a little more cap space.

I think cooler heads will prevail and he signs the contract after the 3rd preseason game.

No Risk it - No Biscuit - Bruce Arians 
Crash
All Pro Veteran

08-10-2017, 05:41 AM

I would tag Bell twice and let him go.  Too many miles on him.  If he misses any regular season games in 2017?  Trade him ASAP. F him then.    

You can trade him during his unsigned offer.  Because we still own his rights and that tagged number is also on our cap right now.  

IMO if we win the SB Ben retires.  If not? He'll play at least one more year because he always said that he wanted to play at least 15 years.  But if we win number seven?  He'll go out a champion like his birth mothers favorite player John Elway did.  

If he's not planning on missing any regular season games IMO Bell will sign after the players break from Latrobe.  One thing to Bell's credit is that he is training and working on football during his time away.    

Your tag line now has me craving biscuits and gravy.  Thanks!    Roll
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

08-10-2017, 08:54 AM

Bell is already gone... The Steelers wont pay him more then 12 and rightfully so. 2 more seasons to ride the horse. The guy cares more about himself. Worst case scenario > Ben retires after another AFC Beatdown by the cheaters and Tomlins > Gameplan for dummys.

The Steelers Stupidly pick up Jay Cutler after he has a good season with the dolphins (as a last ditch effort) and he starts sucking badly as normal with the Steelers. Total nightmare!
Crash
All Pro Veteran

08-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Haley and Cutler in the same building.

That would be epic. Two douche canoe's in the city of three rivers.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

08-11-2017, 05:18 AM

Freeman of Atlanta is getting $8 million a year average with $22 million guaranteed. This could confirm that Bell, even though he's a better back, is not worth 50% more than Freeman. Some of Bell's success is due to Munchak and the high quality OL. Some is due to his individual talent. I doubt Bell's style would work with a below average OL or a sub hof qb.

He's had his issues with drugs and injuries. He's not been there for several key games. I don't feel he's an asset that can be relied upon. If I ran the deal I'd seriously look to move him for draft picks in 2018. He's may be worth $12 million this year only because the team has a shot at #7 and if he plays with an attitude and consistency that offers only a positive for the team.

When I ran my organization in the private sector I found it was always best to move on from an employee who made unreasonable demands, presented some personal risk issues or could be a negative in our team culture. It mattered not that the employee was a good or even a top performer. We won or lost as a team. The individual always came second. Bell should realize that before his career is compromised.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-13-2017, 04:56 AM

(08-10-2017, 08:54 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: ...pick up Jay Cutler...

Laugh

Nooooooooo!!!
Marklovessteelers
Rookie

08-15-2017, 04:37 AM

(08-10-2017, 05:41 AM)I don\t think Big Ben will retire early but will play till his current contract expires in 2020. I also believe Bell will be in camp before to preseason ends. Wrote: I would tag Bell twice and let him go.  Too many miles on him.  If he misses any regular season games in 2017?  Trade him ASAP. F him then.    

You can trade him during his unsigned offer.  Because we still own his rights and that tagged number is also on our cap right now.  

IMO if we win the SB Ben retires.  If not? He'll play at least one more year because he always said that he wanted to play at least 15 years.  But if we win number seven?  He'll go out a champion like his birth mothers favorite player John Elway did.  

If he's not planning on missing any regular season games IMO Bell will sign after the players break from Latrobe.  One thing to Bell's credit is that he is training and working on football during his time away.    

Your tag line now has me craving biscuits and gravy.  Thanks!    Roll
Marklovessteelers
Rookie

08-15-2017, 04:45 AM

(08-13-2017, 04:56 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

Laugh

Nooooooooo!!!

There is NO WAY the Steeles would ever sign a old used up QB like Cuttler. IMO he was never very good to begin with. When it is time to replace Big Ben it will be thru thru the draft. (He is probably a Jr on college right now).
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-15-2017, 05:09 AM

(08-15-2017, 04:45 AM)Marklovessteelers Wrote: There is NO WAY the Steeles would ever sign a old used up QB like Cuttler. IMO he was never very good to begin with. When it is time to replace Big Ben it will be thru thru the draft. (He is probably a Jr on college right now).

The Cutler thing was a joke, although he actually did sign with Miami.  Laugh

I agree that Ben's replacement will come through the draft. In the meantime, however, I do wish we could find a quality veteran backup like we did with Batch. Dobbs and Landry Jones are not legitimate backups, but the pickin's are slim to none right now. I have no interest in the likes of Kaepernick, RGIII or Manziel.  Sick
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

08-17-2017, 11:59 AM

(08-13-2017, 04:56 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

Laugh

Nooooooooo!!!

KENT GRAHAM!
Come back and rescue us!!!!

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-17-2017, 08:19 PM

(08-17-2017, 11:59 AM)McSteeler Wrote: KENT GRAHAM!
Come back and rescue us!!!!

Yes! I still have my #11 Kent Graham jersey!!!!  Rockon

[Image: graham.jpg]

Okay... no, I don't.  Nerd
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

08-20-2017, 12:27 PM

He's my idol!

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.