2005 AFC Championship Steelers 34 at Broncos 17
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-23-2017, 09:07 PM

2005 AFC Championship Steelers 34 at Broncos 17

"Come back, I'll get you to the Super Bowl. Just come back, give me one more year." Big Ben delivers a nearly flawless performance (21 of 29, 275 yds, 2 TD, 0 Int and a rushing TD) and makes good on his promise to get Jerome Bettis to the Super Bowl. The Steelers come out passing just as they had vs. Indy and Roethlisberger leads the offense to points on all 4 of their first-half possessions. Ben is particularly effective on 3rd down, converting 8 of his first 9 third-down throws including a beautiful touch pass to Cedrick Wilson in the right corner of the end zone after freezing Champ Bailey with a pump-fake to give the Steelers a 10-0 lead. While Roethlisberger is rarely pressured, Jake Plummer is terrorized by Joey Porter and company into 2 fumbles and 2 devastating interceptions. Trailing by two TDs in the shadow of his own goal post just before halftime, a rattled Jake the Snake floats a terrible sideline pass that is easily intercepted by Ike Taylor. Moments later, Roethlisberger makes perhaps his best throw of the day in which he ducks away from Denver pressure and fires a perfect 17-yd strike that just clears the fingertips of Al Wilson and Nick Ferguson to Hines Ward tucked neatly in the back of the end zone, running the score to 24-3. After the score, a jubilant Big Ben runs to the sideline pretending to fire six-shooters from his hip. To their credit, Denver keeps fighting and pulls to within 27-17 midway through the 4th quarter, but Roethlisberger ultimately puts it away, sweeping around left end and diving into the end zone on 3rd-and-goal to send the crowd home as a jubilant Jerome Bettis looks into the camera and says, "I'm going home!" 
Crash
All Pro Veteran

08-24-2017, 03:50 AM

Best game I've ever been to. These yaks out here were confident all week because they were playing at home.

When Ced caught that TD I turned to my brother and said "This fucking game is OVER!".

Living here and all the shit a non-Broncos fan take out here is pathetic. They are all friendly until they realize they are are going to lose then the beer kicks in and everyone wants to fight you.

I had to dodge drinks and pizza slices at the 1984 playoff game, I was 14.

Assholes.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-24-2017, 07:42 AM

(08-24-2017, 03:50 AM)Crash Wrote: Best game I've ever been to.  These yaks out here were confident all week because they were playing at home.  

When Ced caught that TD I turned to my brother and said "This fucking game is OVER!".  

Living here and all the shit a non-Broncos fan take out here is pathetic.  They are all friendly until they realize they are are going to lose then the beer kicks in and everyone wants to fight you.

I had to dodge drinks and pizza slices at the 1984 playoff game, I was 14.  

Assholes.

Man, what an awesome game to get to attend!  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup

I was crammed into a tiny bar/restaurant in John Wayne Int'l Airport in Orange Co. watching this game. It marks the one and only time I have ever been thankful for a flight delay. 

We started boarding shortly after halftime with the Steelers leading 24-3, so I felt pretty confident that as you said, "This f-ing game is OVER." There was no in-flight wifi in those days, so I harassed our flight attendants throughout the flight for score updates and they would have the pilots periodically give updates over the intercom.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

08-24-2017, 05:09 PM

We went to 10 of 20 games in 2005 including 7 of the last 10 for me (The 5 of the last 6 regular season games stretch for me was BRUTAL as far as travel), by the time we were getting ready to fly to Detroit we couldn't wait for the season to end. 

My brother and I were coasting on fumes at that point. I had to do a radio show Monday morning after XL so while I was doing that my brother was snoozing.  We turned down a ride to the airport (We were staying in Mansfield Ohio I think) from a friend of ours so we could get an extra HOUR of sleep.  Paid $100 for a cab to the Detroit airport and I slept through most of that and my flight home to Denver.

But I'd do it all over again.  In a minute. LOL
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 05:17 PM by Crash.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-24-2017, 09:10 PM

(08-24-2017, 05:09 PM)Crash Wrote: We went to 10 of 20 games in 2005 including 7 of the last 10 for me (The 5 of the last 6 regular season games stretch for me was BRUTAL as far as travel), by the time we were getting ready to fly to Detroit we couldn't wait for the season to end. 

My brother and I were coasting on fumes at that point. I had to do a radio show Monday morning after XL so while I was doing that my brother was snoozing.  We turned down a ride to the airport (We were staying in Mansfield Ohio I think) from a friend of ours so we could get an extra HOUR of sleep.  Paid $100 for a cab to the Detroit airport and I slept through most of that and my flight home to Denver.

But I'd do it all over again.  In a minute. LOL

Dude, that's crazy... I was actually living in Mansfield, Ohio at the time. Small world.  Nerd But why in the world were you in Mansfield???

Would love to go on a game tour like that. One of these days...
Crash
All Pro Veteran

08-25-2017, 01:50 AM

Couldn't find a hotel in Detroit. We only made our plans AFTER we beat Denver.
Unregistered

08-25-2017, 03:24 AM

What a great game. Didn't remember how classy Shanahan was in defeat - the complete opposite of Holmgren two weeks later.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

08-25-2017, 05:30 AM

I like how in 2010 at Cleveland (With Holmgren there) they had Antwaan Randle-El throw another TD pass.

Just rubbed Holmgren's nose in it. Walrus looking fucktard.