1978 Steelers 28 at Bills 17
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 05:35 AM

1978 Steelers 28 at Bills 17

Due to Pope John being aired by all networks on opening weekend of the NFL in 1978, NO NFL early games were broadcast in their entirety, so the game is joined as the 3rd quarter begins with the Steelers leading 14-0. The Steelers appear intent on steamrolling the Bills via the ground game as Franco, Rocky, & Sidney Thornton eat up yardage in large chunks, extending their lead to 21-0 early in the 4th. Bradshaw is sharp, hitting 14 of 19 for 217 yds & 2 TDs, Franco racks up 96 yds and a TD, and Bennie Cunningham and John Stallworth both have terrific receiving days. Old man Bill Munson comes off the bench to replace a struggling Joe Ferguson late in the game, leading the Bills to some garbage time points (including a TD pass to former Steeler Frank Lewis). But the outcome is never in question as the Steelers steamroll their way to another TD to cap a relatively easy opening day win. 
Unregistered

05-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Two teams in separate areas of the NFL totem pole.

Pittsburgh was at their peak, ready to take advantage of the new pass-friendly rules as we saw from Bradshaw.

Buffalo was starting over with Chuck Knox- they would have better days (they would be in a better spot overall as a team in some ways by the time they faced PIT in the '79 reg. season finale) and as we saw on this days it was gonna be a long climb for the Bills.

The Bills did show some spunk going forward- they almost beat Houston in the Astrodome, lost by a combined 14 points to New England and Miami in 4 close games (both playoff teams), so clearly they were working out on the kinks. Outside of this PIT game, they didn't embarass themselves against other AFC contenders the rest of the way.

Interestingly, Buffalo was #1 in pass defense that season which was surprising if you saw how well Bradshaw operated on this day in Orchard Park.
JimmyCooper49
Rookie

06-17-2017, 07:40 AM

Munson came in and sparked the Bill offense. But the outcome was never in question. And I absolutely love this site. I remember the Steelers being the absolute best team in the league. But researching these games I think they were better than I remembered lol. I have always said that even against today's Patriots these steelers would find a way to win. That's just how they rolled.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2017, 07:44 AM by JimmyCooper49. Edit Reason: addition )
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-17-2017, 09:57 AM

(05-27-2017, 09:32 AM)Guest Wrote: Two teams in separate areas of the NFL totem pole.

Pittsburgh was at their peak, ready to take advantage of the new pass-friendly rules as we saw from Bradshaw.

Buffalo was starting over with Chuck Knox- they would have better days (they would be in a better spot overall as a team in some ways by the time they faced PIT in the '79 reg. season finale) and as we saw on this days it was gonna be a long climb for the Bills.

The Bills did show some spunk going forward- they almost beat Houston in the Astrodome, lost by a combined 14 points to New England and Miami in 4 close games (both playoff teams), so clearly they were working out on the kinks. Outside of this PIT game, they didn't embarass themselves against other AFC contenders the rest of the way.

Interestingly, Buffalo was #1 in pass defense that season which was surprising if you saw how well Bradshaw operated on this day in Orchard Park.

Buffalo was definitely showing signs of life. Still a couple of years to go. The 1980 Bills team had as good a shot to go to the Super Bowl as anyone coming out of the AFC. That defense was darn good. Poor Chuck Knox, always a bridesmaid, never a bride.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-17-2017, 10:00 AM

(06-17-2017, 07:40 AM)JimmyCooper49 Wrote: Munson came in and sparked the Bill offense. But the outcome was never in question. And I absolutely love this site. I remember the Steelers being the absolute best team in the league. But researching these games I think they were better than I remembered lol. I have always said that even against today's Patriots these steelers would find a way to win. That's just how they rolled.

Glad you're enjoying the site! There's no doubt in my mind the Steelers of that era would've taken care of the Patriots. I do not question Tom Brady's greatness, but those Steelers teams were LOADED with so much talent.
JimmyCooper49
Rookie

06-18-2017, 10:59 AM

(06-17-2017, 10:00 AM)mThwlenandwife Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 07:40 AM)JimmyCooper49 Wrote: Munson came in and sparked the Bill offense. But the outcome was never in question. And I absolutely love this site. I remember the Steelers being the absolute best team in the league. But researching these games I think they were better than I remembered lol. I have always said that even against today's Patriots these steelers would find a way to win. That's just how they rolled.

Glad you're enjoying the site! There's no doubt in my mind the Steelers of that era would've taken care of the Patriots. I do not question Tom Brady's greatness, but those Steelers teams were LOADED with so much talent.

The argument everyone gives me is the players today are so much bigger Than the 70s Steelers.  The Steelers were undersized even for that era. Lol. But speed. Skill. And excellent coaching more than made up for it. Like Terry Bradshaw said "I Would line up my boys again against anybody". Not cocky. They were just supremely confident.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-18-2017, 03:58 PM

(06-18-2017, 10:59 AM)JimmyCooper49 Wrote: The argument everyone gives me is the players today are so much bigger Than the 70s Steelers.  The Steelers were undersized even for that era. Lol. But speed. Skill. And excellent coaching more than made up for it. Like Terry Bradshaw said "I Would line up my boys again against anybody". Not cocky. They were just supremely confident.

The key to beating the Patriots is pressuring Tom Brady with the front 4. Those Steelers had the best front 4 in history. Game over.
Unregistered

06-19-2017, 03:44 AM

Oh I agree. They woulda tormented Brady into a nervous breakdown. And Edelman would have been out in the 1st qtr crossing those short patterns in front of Lambert And Ham.