Peppers or Melifonwu
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-17-2017, 01:54 PM

With the draft about a week and a half away and no new updates going on for me to update my Draft Visits post on, I figured this could be a fun discussion to have here.
There are many options that will likely present themselves to us in the 1st round, but for this post I just wanted to toss the spotlight on these 2.

Jabrill Peppers has quickly become one of the most coveted players in this draft and a huge portion of our fanbase would LOVE to see us draft him.
Obi Melifonwu is a somewhat lesser known commodity that (like Peppers) made a big splash at the combine and garnered more attention for himself leading up to the draft.

The case for Jabrill Peppers: 

Like the video shows, the kid has a nice range of skills and is probably the most highly coveted option among Steelers fans currently.
Will he actually fall to us at 30?  Would the Steelers consider trading up for him?

My personal take:
It all comes down to fit.
Our 2 areas of need in the secondary are Free Safety and Outside CB.
As the video above outlines, Jabrill is most fit to play Strong Safety (where we currently have Sean Davis settled in for the foreseeable future) or slot Corner (where the likes of William Gay, Senquez Golson, Coty Sensabaugh, and even Ross Cockrell are already viable candidates).
So the dilemma for me with Jabrill is that he doesn't strengthen a key weak area (unless Sean Davis slides over to Free Safety).
That said, he is a VERY dynamic player who has shown incredible selflessness and versatility to play on both sides of the ball and even make a nice impact on Special Teams.
In short: I won't be mad if we end up drafting him, but I'm concerned that he won't make enough of an impact where we need it on defense.

Next up, Obi Melifonwu...
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-17-2017, 01:55 PM

We'll start with Career Highlights:

[Image: C6QbxNJVUAMCAaK.jpg:large]

So now we've completely flipped the script with a guy who could potentially fill either of the 2 biggest weaknesses in our defensive secondary (Free Safety or Outside Corner).
Obi is physical freak of nature at 6'4", 220lbs putting up the kind of numbers he did at the combine and flashing the kind of man cover skills that our coaching staff has come out saying that they want to bring back to our defense.
I feel that we have a guy here that could come in and make almost an immediate upgrade in our secondary (even if we just start him out playing in sub-packages until he's comfortable enough with our system to come in and take over a starting role)
It also helps that he's a highly intelligent dude.
He's projected as a 1st to 2nd round pick as the 4th ranked Safety in the draft so the Steelers could have a fair shot at landing him at the #30 spot.

What do you guys think?
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2017, 01:58 PM by SteelThePain82.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-17-2017, 10:24 PM

(04-17-2017, 01:54 PM)SteelThePain82 Wrote: With the draft about a week and a half away and no new updates going on for me to update my Draft Visits post on, I figured this could be a fun discussion to have here.
There are many options that will likely present themselves to us in the 1st round, but for this post I just wanted to toss the spotlight on these 2.

Jabrill Peppers has quickly become one of the most coveted players in this draft and a huge portion of our fanbase would LOVE to see us draft him.
Obi Melifonwu is a somewhat lesser known commodity that (like Peppers) made a big splash at the combine and garnered more attention for himself leading up to the draft.

The case for Jabrill Peppers: 

Like the video shows, the kid has a nice range of skills and is probably the most highly coveted option among Steelers fans currently.
Will he actually fall to us at 30?  Would the Steelers consider trading up for him?

My personal take:
It all comes down to fit.
Our 2 areas of need in the secondary are Free Safety and Outside CB.
As the video above outlines, Jabrill is most fit to play Strong Safety (where we currently have Sean Davis settled in for the foreseeable future) or slot Corner (where the likes of William Gay, Senquez Golson, Coty Sensabaugh, and even Ross Cockrell are already viable candidates).
So the dilemma for me with Jabrill is that he doesn't strengthen a key weak area (unless Sean Davis slides over to Free Safety).
That said, he is a VERY dynamic player who has shown incredible selflessness and versatility to play on both sides of the ball and even make a nice impact on Special Teams.
In short: I won't be mad if we end up drafting him, but I'm concerned that he won't make enough of an impact where we need it on defense.

Next up, Obi Melifonwu...

Well, I guess I'm the odd guy out ( Not unusual). While I'll agree we have a need for upgrading our secondary, and we could be considered short on linebacker depth. our biggest need, which would  mitigated those conventional wisdom issues, is an absolute beast of an interior defensive lineman. The cover two will only work with significant pressure up the gut. Heyward, Tuitt, and Hargrave are nice players, but none of them will ever launch a guard or center into next Tuesday like Hampton did to Tobek in SB XL. If you think playing man is the answer, find me a team that successfully plays straight man coverage that gives the opposing QB 4 to seconds to get the ball out of a clean pocket and I'll eat a green cigar.
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-17-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:Well, I guess I'm the odd guy out ( Not unusual). While I'll agree we have a need for upgrading our secondary, and we could be considered short on linebacker depth. our biggest need, which would  mitigated those conventional wisdom issues, is an absolute beast of an interior defensive lineman. The cover two will only work with significant pressure up the gut. Heyward, Tuitt, and Hargrave are nice players, but none of them will ever launch a guard or center into next Tuesday like Hampton did to Tobek in SB XL. If you think playing man is the answer, find me a team that successfully plays straight man coverage that gives the opposing QB 4 to seconds to get the ball out of a clean pocket and I'll eat a green cigar.

Appreciate your response but I have to counter with one simple question:
Then who?

If you look at the Defensive Tackles coming out this year (2017 DT Prospects ) I REALLY don't see any candidates (particularly 1st round worthy) that make me believe they are the second coming of Casey Hampton.

In fact, the only defensive lineman that I REALLY like, that the Steelers MIGHT get a shot at is Malik McDowell

But as you can immediately tell, he's no Casey Hampton, just a REALLY good angkor that can eat up blocks as a 3'4" DE or possibly gain weight and play NT.

I think the Steelers were hopeful that they could develop "Big" Dan McCullers into the next Casey Hampton, but thus far that hasn't panned out like they'd hoped it might.
I suspect that, if they want that type of guy in the middle, they're going to have to draft another late round project like Stevie Tu'ikolovatuJosh Tupou, or scour the Undrafted Free Agents.

The intention of my post wasn't saying that necessarily Safety and Corner are our 2 BIGGEST areas of need on defense (though they're up there).
I'm going off of what's likely to be available to us in the 1st round, the trend of who the Steelers are reported to be interested in, and who would make the best fit/improvement to the defense.

As for playing straight man - I don't think that's the goal, but more or less the Steelers would like to add the personnel to make it an option moving forward (that they don't currently have).
If you want to see a glaring example of it's success you only need look to the 1st half of the Superbowl, where the Falcons utterly DOMINATED the evil Sith Empire, jamming the WR's at the line of scrimmage, forcing Brady to move on to his 2nd and 3rd reads instead of just letting him sit comfortably back in his pocket and pick them apart (like he does to us EVERY DAMN TIME we play him!!!!)

With more and more teams moving to that dink, dank, dunk, style of offense, being able to slide from zone to man coverage is a MUST moving forward.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM by SteelThePain82.)
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-17-2017, 11:55 PM

I am very much comvinced that if the right player is there at #30 we are going secondary in the 1st round. This is avery, very deep draft for defense and of the top 5 picks (1, 2, 3a, 3b, and 4) I think we see at least 3 of them being defense. I'd say, CB, Edge, CB/S, WR, and RB.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-18-2017, 12:28 AM

(04-17-2017, 11:55 PM)Desert Steel Wrote: I am very much comvinced that if the right player is there at #30 we are going secondary in the 1st round. This is avery, very deep draft for defense and of the top 5 picks (1, 2, 3a, 3b, and 4) I think we see at least 3 of them being defense. I'd say, CB, Edge, CB/S, WR, and RB.

I would agree with you here.
I'm not entirely sure that any 1st round worthy CBs will be left on the board by the time we get to pick.
Peppers is definitely the popular pick, but I just like Melifonwu better here for his ability to potentially fill either of our 2 biggest areas of need in the secondary.
I think Mike Mitchell is our biggest liability in the secondary so I could easily see us flipping the 1st and 2nd round picks from last year and going S in the 1st, then CB in the secondary.

Another scenario that I've been enjoying as of late is the possibility of trading down to a team like the Broncos to potentially end up with two 2nd rounders and four 3rd rounders <- seems crazy, but I saw an article posted somewhere that had it all explained.  Laugh
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2017, 12:36 AM by SteelThePain82.)
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-18-2017, 01:18 AM

Add me to the list for a great cover player as the greatest need.  Yes, a blow your man up Defensive Lineman is a need, but pass coverage is horribly broken at this time.  We need to fix this ASAP in order to contend with the top tier passing teams for the Lombardi while the Killer Bs are in the house together and hopefully healthy.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-18-2017, 03:49 AM

(04-17-2017, 11:46 PM)SteelThePain82 Wrote:
Quote:Well, I guess I'm the odd guy out ( Not unusual). While I'll agree we have a need for upgrading our secondary, and we could be considered short on linebacker depth. our biggest need, which would  mitigated those conventional wisdom issues, is an absolute beast of an interior defensive lineman. The cover two will only work with significant pressure up the gut. Heyward, Tuitt, and Hargrave are nice players, but none of them will ever launch a guard or center into next Tuesday like Hampton did to Tobek in SB XL. If you think playing man is the answer, find me a team that successfully plays straight man coverage that gives the opposing QB 4 to seconds to get the ball out of a clean pocket and I'll eat a green cigar.

Appreciate your response but I have to counter with one simple question:
Then who?

If you look at the Defensive Tackles coming out this year (2017 DT Prospects ) I REALLY don't see any candidates (particularly 1st round worthy) that make me believe they are the second coming of Casey Hampton.

In fact, the only defensive lineman that I REALLY like, that the Steelers MIGHT get a shot at is Malik McDowell

But as you can immediately tell, he's no Casey Hampton, just a REALLY good angkor that can eat up blocks as a 3'4" DE or possibly gain weight and play NT.

I think the Steelers were hopeful that they could develop "Big" Dan McCullers into the next Casey Hampton, but thus far that hasn't panned out like they'd hoped it might.
I suspect that, if they want that type of guy in the middle, they're going to have to draft another late round project like Stevie Tu'ikolovatuJosh Tupou, or scour the Undrafted Free Agents.

The intention of my post wasn't saying that necessarily Safety and Corner are our 2 BIGGEST areas of need on defense (though they're up there).
I'm going off of what's likely to be available to us in the 1st round, the trend of who the Steelers are reported to be interested in, and who would make the best fit/improvement to the defense.

As for playing straight man - I don't think that's the goal, but more or less the Steelers would like to add the personnel to make it an option moving forward (that they don't currently have).
If you want to see a glaring example of it's success you only need look to the 1st half of the Superbowl, where the Falcons utterly DOMINATED the evil Sith Empire, jamming the WR's at the line of scrimmage, forcing Brady to move on to his 2nd and 3rd reads instead of just letting him sit comfortably back in his pocket and pick them apart (like he does to us EVERY DAMN TIME we play him!!!!)

With more and more teams moving to that dink, dank, dunk, style of offense, being able to slide from zone to man coverage is a MUST moving forward.
Thanks for the reply. And a really good one at that. Being honest, I have no clue about most of these kids as I don't watch a lot of college football. Hence, I'm not real up on what is available for this draft. What I am up on is a glaring chronic problem/ flaw with our defense, and it isn't the secondary. Our as is secondary will be fine if they don't have to cover for 4 seconds or more. It's also hard to cover the dink and dunks without disrupting either passing lanes or rerouting receivers to disrupt timing. I am going to have to agree with you that the next Hampton or Greene isn't likely to show up anytime soon. That's more wishful thinking on my part. Good post and threat STP!
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-18-2017, 08:41 AM

I'd take Obi if he's there.
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-18-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:Thanks for the reply. And a really good one at that. Being honest, I have no clue about most of these kids as I don't watch a lot of college football. Hence, I'm not real up on what is available for this draft. What I am up on is a glaring chronic problem/ flaw with our defense, and it isn't the secondary. Our as is secondary will be fine if they don't have to cover for 4 seconds or more. It's also hard to cover the dink and dunks without disrupting either passing lanes or rerouting receivers to disrupt timing. I am going to have to agree with you that the next Hampton or Greene isn't likely to show up anytime soon. That's more wishful thinking on my part. Good post and thread STP!

To be completely honest with ya, I'm not a huge college buff either I'm just obsessed with the offseason and the draft.
Everything I've learned has come from draft reports, highlight reels, and the combine, and the interwebs.
True 3-4 Nose Tackles the caliber of one Casey "Big Snack" Hampton are a rare and underrated commodity.
I suspect that we'll be seeing more of Javon Hargrave in the foreseeable future (and by that I mean he'll probably gain weight during the offseason   Laugh ).
Who knows, maybe Dan McCullers will be a late bloomer and finally make his enormous presence felt in the final year of his rookie contract.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2017, 11:58 AM by SteelThePain82.)
BlacknGoldHaze
Hall of Famer

04-18-2017, 12:32 PM

T.J. Watt  Rockon
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-19-2017, 11:58 PM

(04-18-2017, 11:56 AM)SteelThePain82 Wrote:
Quote:Thanks for the reply. And a really good one at that. Being honest, I have no clue about most of these kids as I don't watch a lot of college football. Hence, I'm not real up on what is available for this draft. What I am up on is a glaring chronic problem/ flaw with our defense, and it isn't the secondary. Our as is secondary will be fine if they don't have to cover for 4 seconds or more. It's also hard to cover the dink and dunks without disrupting either passing lanes or rerouting receivers to disrupt timing. I am going to have to agree with you that the next Hampton or Greene isn't likely to show up anytime soon. That's more wishful thinking on my part. Good post and thread STP!

To be completely honest with ya, I'm not a huge college buff either I'm just obsessed with the offseason and the draft.
Everything I've learned has come from draft reports, highlight reels, and the combine, and the interwebs.
True 3-4 Nose Tackles the caliber of one Casey "Big Snack" Hampton are a rare and underrated commodity.
I suspect that we'll be seeing more of Javon Hargrave in the foreseeable future (and by that I mean he'll probably gain weight during the offseason   Laugh ).
Who knows, maybe Dan McCullers will be a late bloomer and finally make his enormous presence felt in the final year of his rookie contract.

I agree with a little more upper body strength would serve Hargrave in good stead. As for McCullers, if coach Mitchell hasn't got through to this kid by this point, and I would have to assume that Coach Mitch has been up his keister on a daily basis which can't be fun, he's never going to turn the corner. You just got to get more than one disrupting play a game out of this kid.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-23-2017, 12:27 AM

I'm starting to like Davis Webb (QB) in the 2nd. Draft him. Let him sit and learn from Ben for a season or 2 plus bulk him up a bit. Kid has size, 6' 5", 232 lbs.(I'd like to see his weight up to 250 or so), and a strong arm. This would be a similar scenario to Roger - Favre.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-25-2017, 05:48 AM

Peppers just dropped a diluted urine sample. Look out below.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-25-2017, 06:12 AM

(04-25-2017, 05:48 AM)sandfan Wrote: Peppers just dropped a diluted urine sample.  Look out below.

Eyes What is WRONG with these guys??? They've got the whole world right there for the taking, and they can't stay away from weed (or whatever)?  Thumbdown
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-25-2017, 06:26 AM

Good-bye Peppers.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-25-2017, 06:31 AM

A failed test at the combine is either a sign of pure stupidity or an acute dependence problem. Neither one is good.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

04-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Man. The God given talent and drive to succeed and the discipline of a house cat.

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Wonder why they can't do a follow up hair sample to confirm a problem? Maybe the union would fight it. But I'd think a player who is really clean of drugs would demand it. Lots of bucks at stake for that guy.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-25-2017, 10:37 PM

(04-17-2017, 01:55 PM)SteelThePain82 Wrote: We'll start with Career Highlights:

[Image: C6QbxNJVUAMCAaK.jpg:large]

So now we've completely flipped the script with a guy who could potentially fill either of the 2 biggest weaknesses in our defensive secondary (Free Safety or Outside Corner).
Obi is physical freak of nature at 6'4", 220lbs putting up the kind of numbers he did at the combine and flashing the kind of man cover skills that our coaching staff has come out saying that they want to bring back to our defense.
I feel that we have a guy here that could come in and make almost an immediate upgrade in our secondary (even if we just start him out playing in sub-packages until he's comfortable enough with our system to come in and take over a starting role)
It also helps that he's a highly intelligent dude.
He's projected as a 1st to 2nd round pick as the 4th ranked Safety in the draft so the Steelers could have a fair shot at landing him at the #30 spot.

What do you guys think?

I would not be upset at all with this pick. It would also give us the flexibility to move Sean Davis to CB or Obi could be groomed to eventually replace Mitchell. 

Roll
BlacknGoldHaze
Hall of Famer

04-28-2017, 01:38 PM

(04-18-2017, 12:32 PM)BlacknGoldHaze Wrote: T.J. Watt  Rockon

Just sayin...............
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-28-2017, 01:50 PM

(04-28-2017, 01:38 PM)BlacknGoldHaze Wrote:
(04-18-2017, 12:32 PM)BlacknGoldHaze Wrote: T.J. Watt  Rockon

Just sayin...............

You'll hear 0 complaints out of me!
Good pick!!
Maybe we can still get Obi in the 2nd round and make me EXTREMELY happy!
But hell, there's still TONS of good talent to be had at Safety and CB so we're good!

Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-11-2017, 12:33 AM

I see Peppers is in some sort of drug counseling already. I hope he gets his head on straight but it has to be some sort of toughness being a browns fan (or stupidity).