1975 AFC Championship Steelers 16 vs Raiders 10
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-17-2017, 02:06 PM

1975 AFC Championship Steelers 16 vs Raiders 10

To say there was bad blood in the 4th consecutive playoff meeting between the Steelers and Raiders would be an understatement. This was pure hatred at the height of perhaps the most bitter rivalry in the history of sports. For their part, the Raiders were full of cheap shots -- one of which landed Lynn Swann in an ambulance with a severe concussion -- and conspiracy theories about field conditions. But it was the defense, not the icy turf, which broke the heart of Al Davis. To me, the most amazing stat of this game is that Oakland moved the ball into Steelers territory 9 times through 3 quarters -- 5 times inside the 30 and twice inside the 20 -- and had ZERO points to show for it. Lambert recovered a post-season record 3 fumbles and Mike Wagner intercepted 2 Stabler passes in a slug-fest which saw the Steelers clinging to a 3-0 lead after 2 quarters. But Pittsburgh's offense found pay dirt twice in the final period, first on a beautiful improvisational run by Franco Harris for a 25-yard score (keyed by an outstanding crack-back block by John Stallworth) and finally icing the game (pun intended) on a 20-yard Bradshaw to Stallworth TD strike to put Pittsburgh up 16-7 late in the contest. In the final moments of the game, Oakland kept fighting, narrowing the score to-16-10 with a field goal and recovering the ensuing onside kick with just 7 seconds remaining. But time ran out on Cliff Branch at the Steeler 15 as the Steelers went on to their second consecutive Super Bowl.
Unregistered

07-05-2017, 04:39 AM

I remember watching this game as a kid but I did not remember how close Oakland came to a miracle comeback.   Thank goodness Stabler did not have the arm to get that pass to the endzone.  Madden was an absolute genius to kick the FG and then go for an onside kick.  Thank you so much for posting this game.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-05-2017, 08:52 AM

(07-05-2017, 04:39 AM)Guest Wrote: I remember watching this game as a kid but I did not remember how close Oakland came to a miracle comeback.   Thank goodness Stabler did not have the arm to get that pass to the endzone.  Madden was an absolute genius to kick the FG and then go for an onside kick.  Thank you so much for posting this game.

Glad you enjoyed it! Definitely an incredible game. It's a wonder no one died in any of the Pittsburgh/Oakland playoff games in the '70s. Brutal.