This offense sucks
Crash
All Pro Veteran

09-11-2017, 10:15 AM

20 points or less on offense in 14 of their past 25 road games.  

Fire Haley. 

Promote Fichtner

Save Ben's career.  

It's time.
Barney
Hall of Famer

09-11-2017, 10:29 AM

I think the major issue was that we didn't employ the screen enough. Had we just stuck with the screen game points would have followed.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

09-11-2017, 10:34 AM

Oh Lord.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-11-2017, 12:01 PM

(09-11-2017, 10:29 AM)Barney Wrote: I think the major issue was that we didn't employ the screen enough.  Had we just stuck with the screen game points would have followed.

Laugh

Post of the day, right there.  Thumbsup
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-11-2017, 01:24 PM

I believe the abundant amount of WR screens was Haley's misguided attempt to draw the safeties closer to the LOS.

Advantage: Greg Williams. Haley has no chance in this chess match.

No Risk it - No Biscuit - Bruce Arians 
Crash
All Pro Veteran

09-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Apparently Mount Ben finally erupted.

First on Tomlin.

Then on Haley.

Then on basically everybody.

Until Landry Jones calmed him down.

Then they threw a TD to James.

Haley is completely outmatched as an OC. Clearly in way over his head.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-11-2017, 09:41 PM

(09-11-2017, 04:43 PM)Crash Wrote: Apparently Mount Ben finally erupted.  

First on Tomlin.

Then on Haley.

Wait, what? Ben erupted? I haven't read this anywhere. Are you saying this actually happened, or just floating a hypothetical scenario?
sandfan
Hall of Famer

09-12-2017, 12:05 AM

I did not see any disruption on the screen. Maybe those at the game can fill us in.

The initial series of flanker screens seemed almost idiotic and certainly less than imaginative. The calls the rest of the game with one or two safeties playing 20 yards off the line seemed also questionable. With our OL one would think a running game could have been established with those safeties in that position. In addition there should have been some fairly significant gaps 10 yards or so in the middle of the field to exploit.

Ben will do better at home. He would also do better if given the reins. I'm not sure most of what Tomlin or Haley bring to the table is additive.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-12-2017, 03:02 AM

(09-12-2017, 12:05 AM)sandfan Wrote: I did not see any disruption on the screen.  Maybe those at the game can fill us in.  

The initial series of flanker screens seemed almost idiotic and certainly less than imaginative.  The calls the rest of the game with one or two safeties playing 20 yards off the line seemed also questionable.  With our OL one would think a running game could have been established with those safeties in that position.  In addition there should have been some fairly significant gaps 10 yards or so in the middle of the field to exploit.  

Ben will do better at home.  He would also do better if given the reins.  I'm not sure most of what Tomlin or Haley bring to the table is additive.

I was home but I saw a brief glimpse on TV before they cut away. I saw Laundry as well. Ben was extremely upset with MarCanibus Bryant on the long pass. I can't remember what quarter. Pert of it was the starters played very little in preseason (which I'm good with, hate to lose a start in a meeningless game). However, this team always seems to be unprepared and play down to their competitions level. With that being said this is the better Cleveland team I've seen in awhiile. In 2 or 3 years their QB will be Kizer and will have Jones or Dobbs. They have some nice young talent. 

Also, discipline is already an issue. Way TOO many penalties and I don't think the offense was in sync. Haley was competely outclassed by Greg Williams, I said it wearly in the game thread. He was at a gun fight and he brought a knife. He couldn't solve the "deep safeties" and we'll see that every week until he does. That's why he through so many WR screens. They don't work against press coverage. We should have had Bryant and DHB take the top off the defense and then throw underneath. Haley isn't that smart and he is a sot.

No Risk it - No Biscuit - Bruce Arians 
Crash
All Pro Veteran

09-12-2017, 03:43 AM

(09-11-2017, 09:41 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 04:43 PM)Crash Wrote: Apparently Mount Ben finally erupted.  

First on Tomlin.

Then on Haley.

Wait, what? Ben erupted? I haven't read this anywhere. Are you saying this actually happened, or just floating a hypothetical scenario?

DK reported it, and a buddy of mine who was at the game posted that he saw it also.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-12-2017, 03:50 AM

(09-12-2017, 03:43 AM)Crash Wrote: DK reported it, and a buddy of mine who was at the game posted that he saw it also.

Forgive me, but... what's DK? 

I must say, if that's the case, I really like the fact that Ben was raising hell over what was going on. Glad he's stepping up against it.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

09-12-2017, 04:13 AM

Ben's probably tired of screwing around with Haley's crap... No more finesse plays. screw the bubble screen... JUST THROW THE DAM BALLl!  

Oh, and another thing - Disguise the run and the pass! Tired of pass plays with no Bell or Conner in the back field.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2017, 04:14 AM by Cali-Steeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-12-2017, 04:40 AM

(09-12-2017, 04:13 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: Oh, and another thing - Disguise the run and the pass! Tired of pass plays with no Bell or Conner in the back field.

Dude, I know! I hate, hate, HATE the empty backfield crap! When you have one of the (supposedly) best running and receiving RB's in the league, why in the world would you not have him in backfield where he can be a threat to do both??? 

"HEY, DEFENSE! YEAH, YOU GUYS. HEY, DON'T WORRY ABOUT US RUNNING ON THIS PLAY. WE'RE STRICTLY GOING TO PASS, PLUS WE'RE NOT GOING TO LEAVE ANYONE BACK THERE TO PICK UP THE BLITZ, SO WE'RE FURTHER LIMITING OURSELVES TO SHORT, QUICK PASSES." 

F-ing stupidEyes
Crash
All Pro Veteran

09-12-2017, 05:02 AM

Arians was destroyed for using WR screens and empty sets.

A Pittsburgh guy is now OC, uses WR screens and empty sets MORE than Arians, his offense sucks, and yet he gets praised for it.

Makes me want to drink bleach.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

09-12-2017, 09:28 AM

Ive said this all last year... Other teams must think we're stupid? You want the safety's to play up on the run. Leave Brown or Bryant one on one. Easy Math Haley

> Any time you have someone in the backfield it gets the defense thinking. Many options...
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

09-18-2017, 10:40 PM

(09-11-2017, 10:29 AM)Barney Wrote: I think the major issue was that we didn't employ the screen enough.  Had we just stuck with the screen game points would have followed.

Lol That's pretty funny.  Seriously, the screens in the Cleveland game did have a purpose. And it worked. Two things we have found out so far, if we throw bubble screens, AND run Bryant fly patterns all day, AB is going bust out. If Bryant runs fly patterns all day with no bubble screens AND we actually throw him the ball, Bryant is going to put up huge numbers, and AB is still going to put up great numbers.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

09-18-2017, 10:55 PM

Just saying guys, we are 2-0. Come December, we aren't going to give a rip as to what happened in these two games other than they were wins.

Before we run every player and coach out of town, it was fairly obvious there was tremendous improvement between week one and week two that showed up Sunday. That was not exactly lousy Viking defense that just got beat.

The O just about has their counter trap game going, we got the deep ball functioning, the only one I'm seeing that stinking it up at the moment, is Big Al. You know, there were years in the dynasty era when it took them over a month to get the trap offense clicking. And that was the only offense they had.

The best advice, relax, chill out and enjoy the season. These guys aren't even close to what you are going to be seeing by year end.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

Yesterday, 12:57 AM

(09-18-2017, 10:55 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: ...the only one I'm seeing that stinking it up at the moment, is Big Al...

Agreed, Villanueva has definitely been pretty disappointing so far. He didn't play well vs. Cleveland and he was getting beaten like a drum vs. Minnesota. I noticed they pulled him at some point in the 2nd half but I'm not sure if he got dinged or if they just decided to make a change.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

Yesterday, 01:17 AM

(Yesterday, 12:57 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 10:55 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: ...the only one I'm seeing that stinking it up at the moment, is Big Al...

Agreed, Villanueva has definitely been pretty disappointing so far. He didn't play well vs. Cleveland and he was getting beaten like a drum vs. Minnesota. I noticed they pulled him at some point in the 2nd half but I'm not sure if he got dinged or if they just decided to make a change.

Heat related illness. On another site someone posted he was ill and it may have contributed to dehydration.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

Yesterday, 01:18 AM

(09-18-2017, 10:55 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Just saying guys, we are 2-0. Come December, we aren't going to give a rip as to what happened in these two games other than they were wins.

Before we run every player and coach out of town, it was fairly obvious there was tremendous improvement between week one and week two that showed up Sunday. That was not exactly lousy Viking defense that just got beat.

The O just about has their counter trap game going, we got the deep ball functioning, the only one I'm seeing that stinking it up at the moment, is Big Al. You know,  there were years in the dynasty era when it took them over a month to get the trap offense clicking. And that was the only offense they had.

The best advice, relax, chill out and enjoy the season. These guys aren't even close to what you are going to be seeing by year end.

On offense?  This is basically who we are every week.  Constant shuffling, tipping plays on formations, etc.

Been like this for over 5 years.  

20 points or less on offense in 15 of their past 24 road games.  

Under 20 points in five of six playoff games with Haley.

Ben throws those 12 TD's in two weeks in 2014?  In their next 16 games they went 20 points or less on offense 11 times.  

When is enough enough?  When does Art II finally admit that hiring his buddy didn't work?
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

Yesterday, 01:50 AM

RE: With apologies to Forest Gump,

an NFL game/Season "is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get"

As I am sure you realize football has three concentrated areas, Offense, Defense, and Special Teams. They all function together and have equal import on the outcome of the game. Discount one over the others, or ripping one more than the others is an overly simplistic point of view. Example? Take a look at out average offensive starting point over the last 5 years. It sucks,  mainly because of piss poor special teams play, and our patented bend but don't break defense system.

How many drives did you see last season that started inside the 20? It's legend. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize a team will score more often when a drive starts at the 40 than the 15. It also is not a stretch understanding there are plays you are not going to run on your 15 that you would at the 40.

My point is, Hayley may not be the best in class. That I will agree with,  but I've seen a lot worse, and a fair percentage are still employed in NFL.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

Yesterday, 03:07 AM

Didn't matter for Arians. The Steelers were 30th in the NFL in starting field position in 2011, couldn't force turnovers on defense, and Arians was still blamed for lack of points.

The fundamental structure of Haley's offensive desires does not mesh with what is best for this football team. It's been going on six years of square peg, round hole offense because he vales useless fullbacks and 4th team tight ends instead of speed.

Brown's had it, Ben's had it, and now it appears that Tomlin's had it.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

Yesterday, 03:34 AM

Eli Rogers only on the field for 50% of the snaps.

That's dumb.