This offense sucks
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 02:25 AM

Choosing between Arians and Haley is like trying to decide to drive a VW Bug or Chevy Chevette to high school.
Haley as OC Boswell is our MVP! 

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2017, 03:00 AM

(10-09-2017, 02:25 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Choosing between Arians and Haley is like trying to decide to drive a VW Bug or Chevy Chevette to high school.

VW Bug, all the way. 

[Image: vw_bug.jpg]
Crash
All Pro Veteran

10-09-2017, 06:06 AM

I think this thread should be locked and retired.

I think the point has been proven.

Haley's garbage, and I'm not watching next week if he's still calling plays.

Fuck him, and fuck Art Rooney II also.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 07:41 AM

Wow, just saw the score and stats. 5 picks on Ben, 2 pick sixes? It seems historically the Jags always had at least 1 pick six against Ben. I think a CB named Rasheem.

Anyway, this year is putting Haley in the category of Joe Walton. These now are the worst 2 OC in the history of the Steelers. Arians had nowhere the talent Haley has and neither did Joe Walton. His QB was the immortal Bubby (2 time SB champ) Brister.

Is Ben done? Just heard him say "maybe I don't have it anymore"? Do you flirt with the idea of Jones? I doubt I watch the game.

Thoughts?????

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2017, 07:43 AM

(10-09-2017, 06:06 AM)Crash Wrote: I think this thread should be locked and retired.  

I think the point has been proven.  

Haley's garbage, and I'm not watching next week if he's still calling plays.  

Fuck him, and fuck Art Rooney II also.

I have to agree, today was as bad as I've seen in... well, a very long time. The play calling was horrid and the execution was horrid. The team should be ashamed. 

Among many questions I have about the absolute debacle that unfolded on our home field today, I'm still trying to figure out why Martavis Bryant, who is supposed to be the deep threat that takes the top off defenses, is repeatedly running crossing routes at the line of scrimmage?

Once again, red zone trips = 3 instead of 7. Pathetic. 

We took several ass-whippings last year, too (Philly, Miami, New England) and ultimately turned it into a pretty successful season... but I'm not getting that vibe from this team. I addition to the horrid offensive performances, our inability to stop the rush is KILLING me. I can't remember the last time we sucked against the run, but right now, we SUCK against the run. 

We keep giving up long runs to the back side. LB's over-pursue to one side (Bud Dupree has been AWFUL in this regard in my opinion) and our out of position when the RB cuts back. 

Not gonna re-watch this one to try to sort it out. Way too ugly.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2017, 07:54 AM

(10-09-2017, 07:41 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Wow, just saw the score and stats. 5 picks on Ben, 2 pick sixes? It seems historically the Jags always had at least 1 pick six against Ben. I think a CB named Rasheem.

Anyway, this year is putting Haley in the category of Joe Walton. These now are the worst 2 OC in the history of the Steelers. Arians had nowhere the talent Haley has and neither did Joe Walton. His QB was the immortal Bubby (2 time SB champ) Brister.

Is Ben done? Just heard him say "maybe I don't have it anymore"? Do you flirt with the idea of Jones? I doubt I watch the game.

Thoughts?????

It wasn't as bad as it seems. Several INTs were the result of tipped balls, receivers falling down and finally at the end, just throwing a desperation pass and hoping for the best. But it was still pretty bad. 

Scary to hear Ben say, "Maybe I don't have it anymore." I hadn't heard that quote. If his heart isn't in it anymore, it's over. 

What concerns me most is that "improvisational Ben" seems to have disappeared. Extending plays, making things happen... mostly gone. Maybe Crash is right and that part of Ben's game is a casualty of Haley's system. That said, Ben did have a play in which he stepped out of a sack and threw a TD to AB. But the play was overturned by a holding penalty ultimately ended in a pick after that.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

10-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Ben was joking when he said that. The AP's Will Graves is the ONLY ONE, who's reported that quote accurately.
Chip2058
Special Teamer

10-09-2017, 08:40 AM

I think there could be more to this team’s issues. There seems to be a lot of discontent in that locker room. Perhaps it started back with Bell’s contract situation and hold out, but it seemed to get uglier with the anthem debacle. Several media outlets have reported about the obvious tension in the locker room, and judging by their performance so far this year, there may be something to that. Everyone, coaches and players, appear to be just going through the motions. If this is truly an issue, I really hope they can get it resolved before the season is lost.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

10-09-2017, 08:47 AM

AB apparently is pissed because Ben and Cam, and the rest of the team decided on the tunnel while AB wanted to kneel in Chicago.

AB is another reason why Ben's gonna retire early.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 08:54 AM

(10-09-2017, 08:47 AM)Crash Wrote: AB apparently is pissed because Ben and Cam, and the rest of the team decided on the tunnel while AB wanted to kneel in Chicago.  

AB is another reason why Ben's gonna retire early.

How do you know all this, are you Bouchette?

I see no personnel issue between Ben and Brown. If anything Ben targets him too much. 

90% of this offense's issue is the OC.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
Crash
All Pro Veteran

10-09-2017, 08:58 AM

LaCanfora reported the Chicago incident today.

Haley's garbage. But AB's act is apparently running thin inside the building with Ben, and others.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 09:06 AM

The social justice "warriors" got me to stop watching the steelers at the right time. Saw the headline and know I did not miss anything. Two weeks in a row. Life goes on without the nfl. Has not really missed a beat.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 03:34 PM

(10-09-2017, 09:06 AM)sandfan Wrote: The social justice "warriors" got me to stop watching the steelers at the right time.  Saw the headline and know I did not miss anything.  Two weeks in a row.  Life goes on without the nfl.  Has not really missed a beat.

I'm with you Sandfan  This 2017 Team lost me with their Tunnel Drama.  I'm amazed how calm and at peace I am on Sunday's now.   Sounds like they are imploding and with "Be My Buddy Tomlin" as their leader have likely seen that #7 Trophy  evaporate yet again.  Oh, well.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2017, 04:33 PM

(10-09-2017, 08:40 AM)Chip2058 Wrote: I think there could be more to this team’s issues. There seems to be a lot of discontent in that locker room. Perhaps it started back with Bell’s contract situation and hold out, but it seemed to get uglier with the anthem debacle. Several media outlets have reported about the obvious tension in the locker room, and judging by their performance so far this year, there may be something to that. Everyone, coaches and players, appear to be just going through the motions. If this is truly an issue, I really hope they can get it resolved before the season is lost.

Agreed, that's kinda what it looks like from the outside. They seem like a team in turmoil. 

I said it before, they remind me of the '98 team. Came in with high hopes, staggered along for a little while, winning ugly and keeping their playoff hopes alive (they were a very ugly 5-2 at one point, then 7-4) before utterly collapsing late in the season, losing 5 straight. 

But that was a team truly in transition. Chan Gailey -- who did a fantastic job with young Kordell Stewart -- left for Dallas and was replaced by Ray Sherman -- who did a miserable job with Stewart. Yancey Thigpen bailed for Tennessee. The current Steelers team is behaving like a team in transition, like a team in the midst of collapse (sideline temper tantrums, locker room turmoil, etc.). But they're essentially the same team they were last year, and in fact, should be better by virtue of Martavis Bryant's return among other things. Somebody on one of the pregame shows mentioned it before the game yesterday: the Steelers are behaving like an 0-4 team instead of a 3-1 team. 

It's just weird. I hope Tomlin can find a way to get this turned around because it would truly be a shame to waste the last handful of seasons we have with Ben on a team that doesn't contend because they can't get their shit together.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 10:18 PM

(10-09-2017, 04:33 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 08:40 AM)Chip2058 Wrote: I think there could be more to this team’s issues. There seems to be a lot of discontent in that locker room. Perhaps it started back with Bell’s contract situation and hold out, but it seemed to get uglier with the anthem debacle. Several media outlets have reported about the obvious tension in the locker room, and judging by their performance so far this year, there may be something to that. Everyone, coaches and players, appear to be just going through the motions. If this is truly an issue, I really hope they can get it resolved before the season is lost.

Agreed, that's kinda what it looks like from the outside. They seem like a team in turmoil. 

I said it before, they remind me of the '98 team. Came in with high hopes, staggered along for a little while, winning ugly and keeping their playoff hopes alive (they were a very ugly 5-2 at one point, then 7-4) before utterly collapsing late in the season, losing 5 straight. 

But that was a team truly in transition. Chan Gailey -- who did a fantastic job with young Kordell Stewart -- left for Dallas and was replaced by Ray Sherman -- who did a miserable job with Stewart. Yancey Thigpen bailed for Tennessee. The current Steelers team is behaving like a team in transition, like a team in the midst of collapse (sideline temper tantrums, locker room turmoil, etc.). But they're essentially the same team they were last year, and in fact, should be better by virtue of Martavis Bryant's return among other things. Somebody on one of the pregame shows mentioned it before the game yesterday: the Steelers are behaving like an 0-4 team instead of a 3-1 team. 

It's just weird. I hope Tomlin can find a way to get this turned around because it would truly be a shame to waste the last handful of seasons we have with Ben on a team that doesn't contend because they can't get their shit together.
This was a crap effort. After watching the Green Bay Dallas Last night, there is a distinct stench in the air with this offense. Jacksonville looked like they knew our Offense better than we did. For you conspircy therorists, like somebody posted his playbook online.

The 2017 version of Big Ben has not been good, period, and as they say, an NFL team will only go as far as the QB will take them. Unfortunately, his play looks a lot like leading us to a 6-10 record. 

Whatever the reason is, it’s doubtful it’s going to be resolved this week. Something is definitely wrong in Mudville. To compare what is happening now, with the early 2nd quarter swoon we experienced last year is not valid. 

Jacksonville laid down the worst smack down we’ve had since I think it was opening day 2011. Sadly, this 2017 edition of the Steelers is a much more talented team, but keep in mind, the 2011 team never truly recovered. This bunch at the moment shows zero evidence of being a championship caliber team, but shown ample evidence of being out of the playoffs.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

10-10-2017, 12:06 AM

Pitt is 3-2 and sit atop the North still.  

Ben is getting to the end (As is his draft classmates Manning, Rivers, Schaub, McCown) and we need a true, viable replacement
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 02:46 AM

(10-10-2017, 12:06 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: Pitt is 3-2 and sit atop the North still.  

Ben is getting to the end (As is his draft classmates Manning, Rivers, Schaub, McCown) and we need a true, viable replacement

But the Bengals are starting to look better.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
Crash
All Pro Veteran

10-10-2017, 03:31 AM

Yeah, and the Bengals fired their OC.  

See how easy?

Bryant spends too much time on the bench so scrubs can play.  

Then people bitch at Ben for not throwing to him.  

Kordell actually got more respect from the Steelers than Ben gets.  

Kordell was allowed to be involved with the interview process for OC in 1998 and gave Sherman his endorsement before they hired him.  

Ben got saddled with an unqualified miscreant.