1997 Steelers 23 vs Jaguars 17 OT
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-18-2017, 03:40 AM

1997 Steelers 23 vs Jaguars 17 OT

Game joined in progress. The Steelers overcome a 10-0 deficit and a rough start by Kordell Stewart as Kordell bounces back to throw for 317 yds, much of it to a seemingly unstoppable Yancey Thigpen (11 catches, 196 yds). The game turns on a goal line stand when Coughlin decides to go for it on 4th-&-1 from the Pittsburgh 2. Greg Lloyd rips around the left tackle and catches RB James Stewart from behind for no gain. Pittsburgh then goes on a 15-play, 8-1/2 minute, 98-yd drive keyed by huge plays by Bettis and Thigpen and capped by leaping 1-yd TD dive by Stewart for a 14-10 Steeler lead. Jacksonville retakes the lead after a Bettis fumble deep in Pittsburgh territory, but a late Norm Johnson 19-yd FG sends it to overtime. The Steelers win the toss in OT and mount a 9-play, 77-yd drive capped by a Stewart shovel pass to Bettis, who rumbles 17-yds up the middle for the game-winning TD. 
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

09-28-2017, 11:04 PM

At halftime, in addition to scores and highlights, we get a brief newscast from WKYC (Channel 3) Cleveland.
danderson400
Special Teamer

10-17-2017, 01:38 AM

Something about this game, since it involves the World Series, is that Dick Enberg mentions that the first pitch for that was 10 minutes to 8; these days, NBC would have likely switched to the Raiders-Seahawks game first, and the first pitch would have been likely at 8:20.

This was the only time i remember NBC having a doubleheader before a World Series game where the second game ran late; i had Sunday Ticket, and can remember watching the Raiders-Seahawks game while my NBC station had the World Series pregame; they were waiting for the game in Seattle to finish?
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017, 10:27 AM by danderson400.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-17-2017, 06:58 PM

(10-17-2017, 01:38 AM)danderson400 Wrote: Something about this game, since it involves the World Series, is that Dick Enberg mentions that the first pitch for that was 10 minutes to 8; these days, NBC would have likely switched to the Raiders-Seahawks game first, and the first pitch would have been likely at 8:20.

This was the only time i remember NBC having a doubleheader before a World Series game where the second game ran late; i had Sunday Ticket, and can remember watching the Raiders-Seahawks game while my NBC station had the World Series pregame; they were waiting for the game in Seattle to finish?

Not really sure how it played out with the networks and the World Series. I was at this game (Steelers/Jaguars) and remember making the 3 hour drive home (still lived in Ohio back then) while listening to the Indians lose on the radio.