Super Bowl IX Steelers 16 vs Vikings 6
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Super Bowl IX Steelers 16 vs Vikings 6

Super Bowl IX Pregame

The Steel Curtain absolutely CRUSHES Minnesota and finally gets a championship for "The Chief" while allowing Tarkenton's offense a paltry 119 total yards (only 17 rushing yards on 22 carries, only 102 yards passing with 3 INTs), a Super Bowl record which still stands today. MVP Franco Harris (34 carries, 158 yards, 1 TD), Bradshaw is efficient and the Steeler offensive line are superb, and Pittsburgh's defense is nothing short of phenomenal, especially the front four. Talk about "two tons of trouble!" This is probably the most dominating performance by a defensive line I've ever seen. Joe Greene is spectacular, Greenwood is smacking passes down right & left and Fats Holmes is superb. But perhaps the most notable performance comes from Dwight White, who totally dominates in spite of being weakend by pneumonia. Had the Vikes not scored a TD on a blocked punt, this one would've been a shut out. Includes complete halftime show, lots of old commercials and some fantastic post-game interviews with Steelers players. Pregame link includes approximately 45 minutes of additional pregame material.
Unregistered

04-21-2017, 02:59 PM

8 years old when my sister & I watched this one at my grandma's. My memories of this game are rather unique in comparison to others as she & I were rooting for the Vikings. Being on the other side I mostly just remember the hopelessness that by halftime it was obvious the Vikes had absolutely no chance. Probably the most dominating defensive performance in a game i've seen and sometime shortly after i'd found my team. (yep little bandwagoner). Can't remember if it was a year or two later that I saw my first live Steelers game in Cleveland. Unfortunately the Steelers lost after Turkey Jones did the cheap BS Slam knocking out Bradshaw. Still hoping a copy of that game turns up one day.
Unregistered

04-21-2017, 03:19 PM

Also how great is it to hear the announcers from back then. Curt Gowdy is my all time favorite. Frank, Howard & Dandy Don on monday night, Summerall & Brookshier, Enberg & Olson... golden. Now we've got Buck/Aikman, Nantz/Simms, Tirico/Gruden... ugh. Oh well i've still got the past.

Russell
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-22-2017, 11:57 AM

(04-21-2017, 03:19 PM)Guest Wrote: Now we've got Buck/Aikman, Nantz/Simms, Tirico/Gruden... ugh.

Laugh  So true!

Enberg/Olsen remains my favorite combo of all time ("Oh, my!").
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-22-2017, 12:02 PM

(04-21-2017, 02:59 PM)Guest Wrote: 8 years old when my sister & I watched this one at my grandma's. My memories of this game are rather unique in comparison to others as she & I were rooting for the Vikings. Being on the other side I mostly just remember the hopelessness that by halftime it was obvious the Vikes had absolutely no chance. Probably the most dominating defensive performance in a game i've seen and sometime shortly after i'd found my team. (yep little bandwagoner). Can't remember if it was a year or two later that I saw my first live Steelers game in Cleveland. Unfortunately the Steelers lost after Turkey Jones did the cheap BS Slam knocking out Bradshaw. Still hoping a copy of that game turns up one day.

Great story.  Thumbsup
Unregistered

06-06-2017, 11:37 AM

A beginning and an end on this day.

The beginning of the Steeler dynasty.

And also the last pro football game played at Tulane Stadium (It was originally supposed to be at the Superdome, but it wasn't finished yet- so talk about a great way for a stadium to bid farewell to the pro game!)

And if you throw in the MNF game Pittsburgh played at this stadium against the Saints, they were 2-0 at Tulane Stadium in 1974.
Unregistered

07-01-2017, 07:44 PM

In those days, pre-season games were pretty much live, with most starters playing. Pittsburgh was 5-0 during the pre-season, and went on to be 10-3-1 in the regular season. Counting all that and the post-season, the Steelers were 18-3-1 in '74. Very impressive. With all respect to Franco, I still think the Front Four should have been the MVP.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-02-2017, 04:23 AM

LC Greenwood dominated Ron Yary. IMO he should have been MVP.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-14-2017, 10:52 PM

At halftime, there's a tribute to Duke Ellington featuring his orchestra (under the direction of his son Mercer) and the Grambling State University band.

After the game, there's the trophy presentation, interviews with fans, and roundtable interviews with Bradshaw, Franco, Rocky, and several members of the defense. The questioners are Don Meredith, Al DeRogatis, and John Brodie (who'd just finished calling the game with Jim Simpson for NBC Radio; in those days, the network that had the TV rights in a given year also had the radio rights.) Charlie Jones hosts in what was unfortunately his only direct involvement with a Super Bowl, whether on TV or radio.

By the way, Tim, if you ever add audio to this site, I wouldn't mind having both the local and national radio broadcasts of the Super Bowls (assuming they're available) in addition to the video. (I'd only suggest something like that for the Super Bowls; it would be a needless waste of bandwidth to do it for other games.)
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 09:42 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
danderson400
Special Teamer

08-16-2017, 04:11 PM

I thought back in 1997 that Charlie Jones should have done NBC's "other" playoff game rather than Tom Hammond, and that he and Bob Trumpy would have done the Broncos-Chiefs game.