Super Bowl IX Steelers 16 vs Vikings 6
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Super Bowl IX Steelers 16 vs Vikings 6

Super Bowl IX Pregame

The Steel Curtain absolutely CRUSHES Minnesota and finally gets a championship for "The Chief" while allowing Tarkenton's offense a paltry 119 total yards (only 17 rushing yards on 22 carries, only 102 yards passing with 3 INTs), a Super Bowl record which still stands today. MVP Franco Harris (34 carries, 158 yards, 1 TD), Bradshaw is efficient and the Steeler offensive line are superb, and Pittsburgh's defense is nothing short of phenomenal, especially the front four. Talk about "two tons of trouble!" This is probably the most dominating performance by a defensive line I've ever seen. Joe Greene is spectacular, Greenwood is smacking passes down right & left and Fats Holmes is superb. But perhaps the most notable performance comes from Dwight White, who totally dominates in spite of being weakend by pneumonia. Had the Vikes not scored a TD on a blocked punt, this one would've been a shut out. Includes complete halftime show, lots of old commercials and some fantastic post-game interviews with Steelers players. Pregame link includes approximately 45 minutes of additional pregame material.
Unregistered

04-21-2017, 02:59 PM

8 years old when my sister & I watched this one at my grandma's. My memories of this game are rather unique in comparison to others as she & I were rooting for the Vikings. Being on the other side I mostly just remember the hopelessness that by halftime it was obvious the Vikes had absolutely no chance. Probably the most dominating defensive performance in a game i've seen and sometime shortly after i'd found my team. (yep little bandwagoner). Can't remember if it was a year or two later that I saw my first live Steelers game in Cleveland. Unfortunately the Steelers lost after Turkey Jones did the cheap BS Slam knocking out Bradshaw. Still hoping a copy of that game turns up one day.
Unregistered

04-21-2017, 03:19 PM

Also how great is it to hear the announcers from back then. Curt Gowdy is my all time favorite. Frank, Howard & Dandy Don on monday night, Summerall & Brookshier, Enberg & Olson... golden. Now we've got Buck/Aikman, Nantz/Simms, Tirico/Gruden... ugh. Oh well i've still got the past.

Russell
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-22-2017, 11:57 AM

(04-21-2017, 03:19 PM)Guest Wrote: Now we've got Buck/Aikman, Nantz/Simms, Tirico/Gruden... ugh.

Laugh  So true!

Enberg/Olsen remains my favorite combo of all time ("Oh, my!").
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-22-2017, 12:02 PM

(04-21-2017, 02:59 PM)Guest Wrote: 8 years old when my sister & I watched this one at my grandma's. My memories of this game are rather unique in comparison to others as she & I were rooting for the Vikings. Being on the other side I mostly just remember the hopelessness that by halftime it was obvious the Vikes had absolutely no chance. Probably the most dominating defensive performance in a game i've seen and sometime shortly after i'd found my team. (yep little bandwagoner). Can't remember if it was a year or two later that I saw my first live Steelers game in Cleveland. Unfortunately the Steelers lost after Turkey Jones did the cheap BS Slam knocking out Bradshaw. Still hoping a copy of that game turns up one day.

Great story.  Thumbsup

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)