Aaron Hernandez
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-19-2017, 11:20 PM

Well, this closes the last chapter of this persons life. A life that had so much potential, but sadly, wasted away. You have to wonder, how does one get to the point of such low regard for human life? Upbringing? Mental defect? The ironic thing about this is for all his macho bravado and bluster, he took the most chicken sh*t way out.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-23-2017, 12:23 AM

The close of a chapter in a very sad story. I saw where they want to study his brain for CTE.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-26-2017, 07:29 AM

The people he killed also had potential and value.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-26-2017, 10:28 PM

(04-26-2017, 07:29 AM)SteelAHoosier Wrote: The people he killed also had potential and value.

Great point Hooosier. One that is often overlooked when sentencing guidelines are handed down. Especially with today's consternation over how humane we need to be with our capital punishment. Just how humane was the act of murder in the first place?

While we are on the subject of Murder One, what about life sentences? Three squares, granted such that it is, healthcare, time to exercise, TV, internet, hobbies, in a relatively safe environment ( although there might be some neighbors you might not want to live next to)...This is a deterrent? This is paying back a debt to society? Or restitution for the victims family?

Personally, in general I would prefer to have shorter periods of incarcerations that are a living hell with floggings, castration ( tends to mellow males out), and mandatory productive labor.
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

04-26-2017, 10:31 PM

I've been asked about my personal opinion of suicide.
I'm just a shmuck but I have spent many hours, heck many years on these subjects, so I'm hoping this can help ease a mind.
Suicide is always a terrible tragedy but suicide is not the unpardonable sin.
In Matthew 12:31-32, Jesus says to the Pharisees, “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.
Read that slowly. EVERY SIN will be forgiven except blasphemy against God.
Even that one though can be.God is pretty smart, and very loving and He knows your heart, and He also knows your pain and your heartbreak.
I won't make friends with some churches for saying this, but it is popular in some churches to teach that suicide is the unforgivable sin. There is, however, no Bible verse in Scripture to support this view.
So why is this view so prevalent?
The reason people feel that suicide is the unforgivable sin is because there is no opportunity to repent from this sin after a person commits it.
Sadly, because of this ideology , many surviving families of suicide victims not only have to deal with the terrible loss of losing a loved one in such a horrible way, but also have to deal with the pain, fear, and incredible sorrow of thinking that their loved one is now in hell, or at least condemned to hell. Its a terrible pain to bear, knowing your loved one has committed suicide.
This is even worse, and often life-changing in the long run, adding to the pain because of this idea. When a cancer patient wants to pass because the pain is too much, we don't condemn them. Pain comes in many forms and invisible pain can be devastating. We can never know someone else's pain.
There are many accounts in the Bible of people who technically committed suicide.
Saul, who took his life to avoid the dishonor of being captured, abused and killed (1 Samuel 31:1-4). Abimelech (Judges 9:54) – to avoid the dishonor of being killed by a woman. Samson (Judges 16:28-31) – to defeat the Philistines who had imprisoned him. Saul’s armor-bearer (1 Samuel 31:5) – to follow his king, Saul, into death Ahitophel (2 Samuel 17:23) – in defeat when he realized his counsel was not followed. Zimri (1 Kings 16:18) – in defeat to avoid capture
Although the act of suicide is clearly condemned in the Bible, these men in the Old Testament were not condemned for what they did. Every 17 minutes someone in America commits suicide and suicide is the third-leading cause of death among people 15 to 25 years old, And tragically among children between 5 and 14 years of age, suicide is the sixth most common cause of death. Your loved one is not alone.
To sum up all these facts and figures, suicide is not unforgivable. Your loved one is not condemned. Rest your heart and your mind. Is suicide an answer? No, mostly because there's no chance to change your mind later.
God knows our hearts, our pain and our lives. If you consider it yourself please get help for your pain.
Call me, call a loved one or anyone before deciding to take your life. There is hope and there is life waiting out there.
We can only pray for his forgiveness and the easing of the pain of his victim's family.

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-27-2017, 11:04 AM

(04-26-2017, 10:31 PM)McSteeler Wrote: I've been asked about my personal opinion of suicide.
I'm just a shmuck but I have spent many hours, heck many years on these subjects, so I'm hoping this can help ease a mind.
Suicide is always a terrible tragedy but suicide is not the unpardonable sin.
In Matthew 12:31-32, Jesus says to the Pharisees, “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.
Read that slowly. EVERY SIN will be forgiven except blasphemy against God.
Even that one though can be.God is pretty smart, and very loving and He knows your heart, and He also knows your pain and your heartbreak.
I won't make friends with some churches for saying this, but it is popular in some churches to teach that suicide is the unforgivable sin. There is, however, no Bible verse in Scripture to support this view.
So why is this view so prevalent?
The reason people feel that suicide is the unforgivable sin is because there is no opportunity to repent from this sin after a person commits it.
Sadly, because of this ideology , many surviving families of suicide victims not only have to deal with the terrible loss of losing a loved one in such a horrible way, but also have to deal with the pain, fear, and incredible sorrow of thinking that their loved one is now in hell, or at least condemned to hell. Its a terrible pain to bear, knowing your loved one has committed suicide.
This is even worse, and often life-changing in the long run, adding to the pain because of this idea. When a cancer patient wants to pass because the pain is too much, we don't condemn them. Pain comes in many forms and invisible pain can be devastating. We can never know someone else's pain.
There are many accounts in the Bible of people who technically committed suicide.
Saul, who took his life to avoid the dishonor of being captured, abused and killed (1 Samuel 31:1-4). Abimelech (Judges 9:54) – to avoid the dishonor of being killed by a woman. Samson (Judges 16:28-31) – to defeat the Philistines who had imprisoned him. Saul’s armor-bearer (1 Samuel 31:5) – to follow his king, Saul, into death Ahitophel (2 Samuel 17:23) – in defeat when he realized his counsel was not followed. Zimri (1 Kings 16:18) – in defeat to avoid capture
Although the act of suicide is clearly condemned in the Bible, these men in the Old Testament were not condemned for what they did. Every 17 minutes someone in America commits suicide and suicide is the third-leading cause of death among people 15 to 25 years old, And tragically among children between 5 and 14 years of age, suicide is the sixth most common cause of death. Your loved one is not alone.
To sum up all these facts and figures, suicide is not unforgivable. Your loved one is not condemned. Rest your heart and your mind. Is suicide an answer? No, mostly because there's no chance to change your mind later.
God knows our hearts, our pain and our lives. If you consider it yourself please get help for your pain.
Call me, call a loved one or anyone before deciding to take your life. There is hope and there is life waiting out there.
We can only pray for his forgiveness and the easing of the pain of his victim's family.
One thing for sure, we are in for a major shock to see who is in Heaven, and who is not. And who is in is not our call.

I think it's pretty clear that murder is in the top 10 of thou shalt nots, and having your last act on earth an act of murder, I would assume puts you on some very shaky ground.

That said, I agree that the main qualification for salvation is the state of the heart. Are we subservient to the will of God and accept his love and gift of life eternal which from what I understand is the main key to salvation.

I hear what you are saying, but we are instructed not to temp God on this act of his grace. As much as I despise what Mr Hernandez did on this earth, from God's point of view, I am no better. My faith says that I am saved, having accepted the atonement of the Christ's sacrifice, but I am just another sinner, no better than anyone else, except for the grace of God.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Good posts, guys.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

05-06-2017, 02:29 AM

"The only sad part is for the poor victims..." For me, it's the prime consideration. However, I'll let a high power deal with such things, at this point.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-06-2017, 10:27 AM

Thumbsup
(05-06-2017, 02:29 AM)SteelAHoosier Wrote: "The only sad part is for the poor victims..."  For me, it's the prime consideration.  However, I'll let a high power deal with such things, at this point.

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup