1997 Steelers 37 vs Ravens 0 SNF
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-30-2017, 03:33 AM

1997 Steelers 37 vs Ravens 0 SNF

Kordell Stewart runs for a TD and throws for another (52 yds to Thigpen) as the Steelers take advantage of 7 turnovers (6 in the first-half alone) for a 37-0 Sunday Night romp over the Ravens. Jerome Bettis runs 24 times for 114 yards and a TD, recording his 4th straight 100-yard game and 7th of the season, and Yancey Thigpen shines with 6 catches for 130 yds and a TD. Vinny Testaverde and Eric Zeier combine for 4 INTs and the Ravens also fumble 5 times, losing 3 to the Steelers as the Ravens muster only 172 yds of total offense. 
jschroe36
Special Teamer

09-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Thing of beauty. THANKS TIM.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-30-2017, 12:59 PM

(09-30-2017, 08:41 AM)jschroe36 Wrote: Thing of beauty. THANKS TIM.

You're welcome, 36.  Thumbsup  I know you're a Bettis guy... you're gonna love some of the games I post over the next couple of weeks.  Smokin
jschroe36
Special Teamer

10-01-2017, 12:20 AM

Awesome.

I think the '97 team was quite possibly my favorite squad (them or the 04-05 teams). The offensive line was still stout (Jackson would leave in free agency the following year & Wolford and Strzelczyk got hurt). Kordell was a novelty at QB and defenses hadn't had a chance to adjust while Gailey adjusted his scheme and simplified it for Kordell (Ray Sherman and Gilbride were unmitigated disasters, though Kordell deserves some blame too). The defense stuffed the run and made plays w/ Kirkland & Lake leading the way.

ABSOLUTELY should have beaten Denver in the AFCCG at home. Kordell was absolutely terrible but I still blame the coaching staff the most. Leading 14-10 with the ball facing a 2nd down and 2 on the Denver 35 yard line and under 5 mins to play in the first half. You have to use the clock, pick up a first down there, and be thinking worst case I go in to half time up 17-10. Instead they go for a kill shot which Kordell throws into double coverage in the end zone and is picked off. Before you can blink it's somehow 14-24.

RUN THE DAMN BALL WITH THE GREATEST SHORT YARDAGE BACK OF THE LAST 30 YEARS!!!

Even had they miraculously scored a TD on the interception it's still the wrong strategy. You don't give the ball back to Elway and the Broncos. Possess the ball, keep the Den defense on the field.

Kordell would then throw ANOTHER INT in the end zone in the 2nd half and then fumble deep in Denver territory on another possession and Pittsburgh goes on to lose 21-24. Just sickening. The worst loss of the Cowher era in my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2017, 12:21 AM by jschroe36.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-04-2017, 08:05 AM

(10-01-2017, 12:20 AM)jschroe36 Wrote: Awesome.

I think the '97 team was quite possibly my favorite squad (them or the 04-05 teams). The offensive line was still stout (Jackson would leave in free agency the following year & Wolford and Strzelczyk got hurt). Kordell was a novelty at QB and defenses hadn't had a chance to adjust while Gailey adjusted his scheme and simplified it for Kordell (Ray Sherman and Gilbride were unmitigated disasters, though Kordell deserves some blame too). The defense stuffed the run and made plays w/ Kirkland & Lake leading the way.

ABSOLUTELY should have beaten Denver in the AFCCG at home. Kordell was absolutely terrible but I still blame the coaching staff the most. Leading 14-10 with the ball facing a 2nd down and 2 on the Denver 35 yard line and under 5 mins to play in the first half. You have to use the clock, pick up a first down there, and be thinking worst case I go in to half time up 17-10. Instead they go for a kill shot which Kordell throws into double coverage in the end zone and is picked off. Before you can blink it's somehow 14-24.

RUN THE DAMN BALL WITH THE GREATEST SHORT YARDAGE BACK OF THE LAST 30 YEARS!!!

Even had they miraculously scored a TD on the interception it's still the wrong strategy. You don't give the ball back to Elway and the Broncos. Possess the ball, keep the Den defense on the field.

Kordell would then throw ANOTHER INT in the end zone in the 2nd half and then fumble deep in Denver territory on another possession and Pittsburgh goes on to lose 21-24. Just sickening. The worst loss of the Cowher era in my opinion.

Yeah, '97 was a lot of fun with the exception of our first and last games of the season. The addition of The Bus in his prime was huge. He brought a ton of personality and leadership to the offense. 

I plan to split 'out the entire '97 season once I get a few more games uploaded. I kinda hate to waste the bandwidth on losses, but some of those losses contain great plays.