1978 Steelers 15 vs Browns 9 OT
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 10:53 AM

1978 Steelers 15 vs Browns 9 OT

The famous "flea-flicker" overtime game! Pittsburgh wins in OT when Bradshaw hands off to Bleier, who hands off to Swann, who pitches the ball back to Bradshaw, who throws a bomb to a wide-open Bennie Cunningham for the game-winning TD. And while that play is one of the most famous in Steeler history, there are plenty of other memorable moments. Jack Lambert plays one of his finest games, capping an afternoon of excellence by making the biggest defensive play of the game, destroying the ball carrier for a loss in the final seconds of regulation to knock Cleveland out of FG range, sending the game to overtime. L.C. Greenwood & Dwight White also shine on a day in which Pittsburgh's defense, emulating Lambert's "kill 'em all" attitude, is flagged for 4 personal fouls. Offensively, Swann is the man, snagging 6 catches on a day when the rest of the offense does little. Swannie receives one of the most vicious shots I've ever seen in this game. While breaking toward the sideline to catch as pass, Swann reaches out to snare the ball when suddenly --- BAM!!! Ron Bolton leaves his feet and just CREAMS Swann with a shoulder to the head at full speed. Swann's entire body instantly snaps backward, his feet fly up in the air and he hits the ground with a sickening thud. NBC announcer Dick Enberg literally screams in horror and the crowd let's out an "ooohhh," but Swannie simply adjusts his face mask, bounces up & returns the the huddle. Ultimately, the infamous Three Rivers Jinx rears its head to preserve a win for Pittsburgh. On the overtime kickoff, Larry Anderson stumbles, falls on one knee (but was not touched by a Brown), gets back up and fumbles the ball. The Browns recover and the Cleveland offense trots on the field, but the officials incorrectly rule Anderson down by contact and the Steelers keep possession. The rest, as the say, is history. 
Unregistered

05-28-2017, 06:36 PM

How about that pick and runback by Dungy? For a moment, I thought he was going to go all the way!
JimmyCooper49
Rookie

06-26-2017, 05:50 AM

This was a typical Browns vs the Three Rivers Jinx game. Steelers always seemed to blow the Browns off the field in Cleveland but the Browns always seemed to play very tough in Pittsburgh and lose stupidly. I'd say as far as bad blood rivalries go Browns Steelers was 2nd only to Raiders Steelers as far as completely mean brutal football goes.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-27-2017, 08:00 AM

(06-26-2017, 05:50 AM)JimmyCooper49 Wrote: This was a typical Browns vs the Three Rivers Jinx game.  Steelers always seemed to blow the Browns off the field in Cleveland but the Browns always seemed to play very tough in Pittsburgh and lose stupidly. I'd say as far as bad blood rivalries go Browns Steelers was 2nd only to Raiders Steelers as far as completely mean brutal football goes.

Yes, next to Steelers/Raiders, this was it. As a Steeler fan growing up in Ohio, I absolutely DESPISED the Browns. Ultimately, it kinda carried over to Steelers/Ravens. But I miss the true Steelers/Browns rivalry pre-Model move.