It was never about the W's and L's
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Vince Williams just tweeted out for fans not to jump back on the Steelers bandwagon after the win today. This proves the point the players don't really know what their protesting. It was never about the win-loss record, it was about millionaires playing a game and being perceived as disrespecting the flag, national anthem, mlitary, police, etc). 

It was never about the win-loss record #98. Nice to now how you feel about your customers. 

C-town

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-02-2017, 11:25 AM

(10-02-2017, 11:05 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Vince Williams just tweeted out for fans not to jump back on the Steelers bandwagon after the win today. This proves the point the players don't really know what their protesting. It was never about the win-loss record, it was about millionaires playing a game and being perceived as disrespecting the flag, national anthem, mlitary, police, etc). 

It was never about the win-loss record #98. Nice to now how you feel about your customers. 

C-town

What a jack ass. 

Vince... there's a reason the only person wearing a #98 jersey at Heinz Field is you.  Eyes
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-02-2017, 11:38 AM

Stance on the protests aside, I agree with you guys. I've always hated the "no one believes in us but us" routine that the players try to pull, especially in a city like Pittsburgh where they're treated like royalty. It's taking the bunker mentality way too far, and if you need stuff like that to get you ready to play, you're not as good as you think you are.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-02-2017, 01:16 PM

I think he does know why they protest. He's a pretty smart and level headed guy on social media.

I think his point was, don't whine about protesting and burn gear when they are 2-1 and then have selective amnesia and forget about your comments if they finish 13-3.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-02-2017, 04:49 PM

(10-02-2017, 01:16 PM)Crash Wrote: I think he does know why they protest.  He's a pretty smart and level headed guy on social media.

I think his point was, don't whine about protesting and burn gear when they are 2-1 and then have selective amnesia and forget about your comments if they finish 13-3.

Oh, I won't forget. Believe me. But I'm also not the type that burns my stuff.  Laugh  

The Steelers are woven deeply enough into who I am that I'm not capable of just quitting them "cold turkey." It's like an addiction. Quitting the Steelers would require a series of steps, like quitting smoking. Losing has never been enough to dampen my enthusiasm. I didn't root for them any less when they were 6-10 than I did when they were 15-1... although 15-1 was definitely more fun. 

But something HAS changed as a result of this National Anthem nonsense. There's a definite wedge there now that wasn't there before and it has ZERO to do with whether they win or lose. While I still basically love the Steelers, I now have an extreme distaste for the NFL as a whole. It's a really strange dichotomy. 

One thing is for sure: Neither the Steelers nor the NFL will not get another penny from me this season. 

I also know this: Had the Steelers not come out to stand during the National Anthem, had certain players (even worse, the entire team) decided to take a knee... the wedge would be wider. And it would only take a few instances of that kind of behavior to turn me away for good.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-04-2017, 10:51 PM

(10-02-2017, 04:49 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 01:16 PM)Crash Wrote: I think he does know why they protest.  He's a pretty smart and level headed guy on social media.

I haven’t burnt mine either, even though I was pretty steamed. I’ve been getting queasy about the NFL for some time now, starting with subjective officiating to keep games close, the CTE studies, the tremendous amount of negativity on fan boards, and now this Anthem public relation fiasco. It keeps getting harder and harder to tune in. Life is hard enough with out having to hold your nose to swallow this crap.

Oh, I won't forget. Believe me. But I'm also not the type that burns my stuff.  Laugh  

The Steelers are woven deeply enough into who I am that I'm not capable of just quitting them "cold turkey." It's like an addiction. Quitting the Steelers would require a series of steps, like quitting smoking. Losing has never been enough to dampen my enthusiasm. I didn't root for them any less when they were 6-10 than I did when they were 15-1... although 15-1 was definitely more fun. 

But something HAS changed as a result of this National Anthem nonsense. There's a definite wedge there now that wasn't there before and it has ZERO to do with whether they win or lose. While I still basically love the Steelers, I now have an extreme distaste for the NFL as a whole. It's a really strange dichotomy. 

One thing is for sure: Neither the Steelers nor the NFL will not get another penny from me this season. 

I also know this: Had the Steelers not come out to stand during the National Anthem, had certain players (even worse, the entire team) decided to take a knee... the wedge would be wider. And it would only take a few instances of that kind of behavior to turn me away for good.