Shut up and play
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 07:47 AM

Don't kneel as well and respect the flag, anthem and America as well as those who serve her.  Tomlin talks tough?  Maybe but I don't see it.  Sure don't see it since I don't think he makes the hard decisions needed to upgrade the team.

It no longer matters to me but I thought I'd pass this along for those that still are committed to the team and the nfl.

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/917445...68130?s=01
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-10-2017, 10:13 AM

They haven't knelt for two weeks now. Not only that, they apologized for protesting in the first place. What more do you want? Anyone who turns their back on someone or something they profess to love after only one mistake never loved that person or thing in the first place.

And why the hell are you still on a board dedicated to a team that you claim not to care about? I sure hope we don't see fake fans like you around here if we should make it back to the Super Bowl, because you won't deserve to celebrate with us.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 10:13 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 10:23 AM

SandFan has been around for a long time, and has more than earned his spot here. From what i’ve gathered, he has a lot of varied interests, the Steelers being one of them. Push come to shove, if he had a choice of playing in a competitive foursome on a challenging course, or watching the Steelers, I would doubt he’d be parked in front of a tv.

Being honest, my observation of posters in general is that by and large they are more of a fan of success than the team itself. I don’t want to speak for SandFan, but IMO if he isn’t in this camp, he sure leans that way.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 10:44 AM

aME wanted to kneel.

He's upset at Ben and Heyward for organizing tunnel gate.

He can go any time they want to trade him.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 08:54 PM

I'm a fan of success and the team. Don't care much anymore.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 10:55 PM

(10-10-2017, 10:13 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: They haven't knelt for two weeks now. Not only that, they apologized for protesting in the first place. What more do you want? Anyone who turns their back on someone or something they profess to love after only one mistake never loved that person or thing in the first place.

And why the hell are you still on a board dedicated to a team that you claim not to care about? I sure hope we don't see fake fans like you around here if we should make it back to the Super Bowl, because you won't deserve to celebrate with us.

It's a sport, and we're spectators.   The Steelers have the most wide spread fan base in the NFL - primarily because of the perception of middle-class, hard working, no drama, 'get-it-done' football team.

If it becomes your life - you have a problem.  Politics have no room in football.  It brings outside emotion into three hours of escapism.  

Sandfan can like any damn team he likes and you, nor anyone else, gets to dictate a 'real fan' versus a....'not'-real fan.   The NFL sure doesn't give a rats ass as long as your spending $$$ or tuned in.

The 'issue' of this season has caused an effect on the fan base.  Deny it all you want, because although ethereal, it's real.  

My opinion is a rupture, or tear, in that perception I had mentioned before.  The Pittsburgh Steelers aren't your team or my team, they belong to the Rooney family.  

An article in a 1992 Sports Illustrated said:

Sports have become so desentimentalized that it's hard to believe anyone can even root for the same team from one year to the next. Neither players nor owners seem to acknowledge the  fans' loyalty, much less repay it. And yet every time you walk into a ballpark or flip on ESPN, there seem to be more and more superfans, megafans, uberfans; fans who yell louder, dress louder, spend more, suffer more, exult more and even seem to care more.

The players don't care.  "Imma need 17" doesn't give a stinky rats ass about Garrett Garlits.

Do you know who does?  *I* do.  Tim does.  Crash does.  Chucktownsteeler does.  Cali-Steeler does.  dbsfgyd1 does.  

WE are the community that have self-built ourselves around team colors we don't 'officially' belong to.  WE experience collective joy.  WE experience collective frustration.  WE wave terrible towels.  

In a business sense, we're also the customer base the financials of the entire operation depend upon, but I digress.

It's that sense of community and shared experience that makes spectator sports the lure that they are.   You're reading this on a fan-made, non-NFL owned, website that is here because Tim has a desire to share with the community.

The events of this season ruptured the connection between franchise and community.  Viewership and sales are down.  There is discord.   

...and despite all the threats, rants, emotions, etc, It's all very easily fixed.

Shut up and play football
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 11:19 PM by RaynorShyne.)
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 11:22 PM

I need coffee - that all sounded so much better in my head
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 11:25 PM

(10-10-2017, 10:13 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: They haven't knelt for two weeks now. Not only that, they apologized for protesting in the first place. What more do you want? Anyone who turns their back on someone or something they profess to love after only one mistake never loved that person or thing in the first place.

Sandfan has been around here a long time and he's A-OK in my book. He's a good dude. 

Shut up and play!

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Krunch
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 03:13 AM

Shut Up and Play!  I tuly am done with this 2017 Team.  If they win the Super Bowl, yeah I'll be glad, but I still won't be supporting them. Tomlin is letting the monkeys run the zoo.  (And save the race card attacks - it's an old expression and nothing more)  This is all on week-kneed, non-leader Tomlin.  Every tough decision over the last several years has come from the Front Office because Tomlin is too preoccupied with being a, "players coach."  He's the Head Coach - HIS players, HIS coaches, HIS TEAM.

I've said it before.  I AM a Pittsburgh Steeler fan; a fan of the heritage and the history and the sense of right they USED to represent.  I can blow off a particular team of players with ease and still hope the heritage aspect can be saved by another crew.  I hope so badly that 2018 sees a radical change of attitude with less drama and politics.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2017, 03:16 AM by Krunch.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 03:45 AM

Tomlin is running a loose ship, and that drove Troy crazy in 2014, and that drives Ben crazy now.

But it all started when Art II pulled rank on Tomlin and hired Haley. IMO Tomlin lost the locker room that day, and it seems like he's never gotten it back.

So he runs a looser ship to appease the players. That never works.

He doesn't hold Haley accountable for his bullshit. At times it feels like Haley is TOMLIN'S boss, not vice versa.

Look at all the photos of Ben talking to Tomlin or Fichtner, then you see in the background Haley doing his classic "looking but not looking" routine trying to eavesdrop.

I'm so glad it was James who called out Haley. He really has nothing to gain by doing it, and he's not one of the marquee guys on this team, so you know what he says came from the heart. He's not trying to be a rapper, hawking his brand or showing off his footwear or suits. He's just a regular guy who plays football.

And he called Haley out, now watch his snap count go down the shitter.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 08:40 AM

(10-10-2017, 10:44 AM)Crash Wrote: aME wanted to kneel.  

Who or what is aME?

Next - Minkah, #39!
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 10:00 AM

(10-11-2017, 08:40 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote:

Who or what is aME?

Antonio Brown.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 10:19 AM

(10-11-2017, 10:00 AM)Crash Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 08:40 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote:

Who or what is aME?

Antonio Brown.

Link?

Next - Minkah, #39!
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 10:34 AM

I continue to try to supply information because I know there are interested, dedicated fans on this board. I believe communication is a valuable tool and try to do my best in that arena.

I'd like to thank some of the forum participants for their kind words. I truly appreciate them.

I'll accept what was reported here. That the Steelers don't kneel or stay in the tunnel. Since I don't go to the games or watch I have no option but to do so. In my view the right way to participate with the anthem was carried out by AV in Chicago. Not kneeling, sitting, linking arms, putting one's hands on another's shoulders or whatever. I believe that many of the players would like to continue to protest during the anthem. The game has been infected with politics and that's not likely to change in the near term. A sad state of affairs. I've been willing to overlook some of the criminal activities in the league, we are all sinners and human, but will never accept the folly of a social justice protest during the anthem.

At our club we stand, face the flag, remove headgear and sing the anthem before every tournament. One might think that's a result of Southern culture but we have way too many ex Yankees, I'm a prime example, for that to be correct. I believe it stems from the respect earned by those who have fought, bled and died for our freedoms. Also for those who serve and protect our streets and property in police and fire departments. That condition runs deep in all our hearts and I'm very glad to be a part of it.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 11:03 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/anton...-decision/
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-12-2017, 10:19 PM

(10-11-2017, 11:03 AM)Crash Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/anton...-decision/

Typical trash journalism that we are fed on a daily basis. No named sources= pure speculation and conjecture. I don’t doubt there is a reason for this dust up, but I can make up a dozen storylines equally plausible if I had a bent to put my mind to it.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

10-18-2017, 03:34 AM

For the second time this season the Steelers game was televised here in North Idaho.  For the second time this year i did not watch them.  I still read game recaps and such, but when I take a stand on principal, I take a stand on principal.  Apparently I am not alone among many other NFL fans.  I am still hopeful that sanity will return and I can find reason to again support the NFL and the 2018 Steelers.

Falling NFL ratings are directly impacting CBS, Fox earnings

[Image: 636421371254719188-USP-NFL-CLEVELAND-BRO...056736.JPG]

Roofers Respect The Flag (click for story)

[Image: 22448421_1546680975392280_87806580625332...e=5A79D201]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAPK9nMW9gYv3JUsZ4z_z...3U8gy71H3A]

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 03:53 AM by Krunch.)
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-18-2017, 06:02 AM

‘Monday Night Football’ Ratings Fall To Season Low As Titans Break Colts’ Streak:
http://deadline.com/2017/10/titans-beat-...202189784/

Jaguars apologize to local military for anthem demonstration
http://www.sunherald.com/news/business/a...75571.html

Without Kaepernick, what is NFL saying to black fans?
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/opinions/nfl-rodgers-kaepernick-protests-bailey-opinion/index.html
"Aaron Rodgers is one of the National Football League's best players, and with his potentially season-ending injury, the NFL will be put to the test. Does the league treasure its fervent black supporters as much as it does fans of President Donald Trump and a number of other white Americans, who seem to believe they alone should define patriotism? Aaron Rodgers' broken collarbone puts one of league's signature franchises, the Green Bay Packers, a team that was expected to contend for the Super Bowl this season, on the spot. Will they pass on a free agent, Colin Kaepernick, that took the San Francisco 49ers to within one play of winning a title a few years ago?"

Really?  What about Brett Hundley?  (The following borrowed from an NFL Fantasy site)  He's only been in the Packers system and under Mike McCarthy's guidance since he was drafted in 2015, and has been the team's sole backup the last two years. He knows the offense and with a full set of practice reps will be able to perform far better than he did in relief against the Vikings. The notion of the Packers signing a free agent or luring Tony Romo out of the booth is ludicrous. They've always been a draft-and-develop team under Ted Thompson, and they've been building up Hundley for this type of situation.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 06:03 AM by RaynorShyne.)
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-21-2017, 12:20 AM

Sliding NFL ratings could deliver hit to TV networks

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-ratings...-networks/

When this continues to snowball, it's going to have fall out.  Goodell's recent speech about "issues" and "communities" was a bumbling mess.  

Ultimately, the advertisers will wag the dog.  However, it's evident that the NFL want this to go away - the sooner the better.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-21-2017, 09:50 AM

(10-21-2017, 12:20 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: Sliding NFL ratings could deliver hit to TV networks

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-ratings...-networks/

When this continues to snowball, it's going to have fall out.  Goodell's recent speech about "issues" and "communities" was a bumbling mess.  

Ultimately, the advertisers will wag the dog.  However, it's evident that the NFL want this to go away - the sooner the better.

No doubt, revenue will drive this bus. This has been one of the worst public relations disaster to happen in decades, and the cost to the league will be in the billions, if not already at the point. I’m not so sure why the owners are so afraid of their players. They should be afraid of the fans. We are the ones that have made them unbelievably wealthy, not the players. And yes, the league can make sure everybody is standing, just the same as making them have their shirt tails tucked in. So it’s the owners tacit approval of this demonstration  that was a huge costly miscalculation. 

One thing that certainly has clarified, is the continuing protests by NFL players is proof positive this CTE thing is for real.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-21-2017, 09:13 PM

Some of you flag wavers and military kiss-asses will do anything to discredit the players, won't you? Now they're mentally ill because they dared to disrespect your precious piece of cloth? Get real.

Listen, I'm as proud of my country as the next guy, except if that next guy happens to be some of you. You don't respect the flag like normal Americans do; you wrap yourself up in it like a cocoon and pull it up over your heads so you don't have to hear and understand points of view that may be different from yours. You're exactly the type of people who will keep the protests going, because players will kneel, sit, lock arms, or anything else they have to do to avoid following your directions. I know I would, even if it cost me money.

Remember, it was Trump and his idiotic "They should be fired!" routine that inflamed this whole thing in the first place. There were people protesting before that, but he made it a personal challenge that they felt they had to meet just to prove to the world that they didn't agree with him. And he's still opening his mouth, to the point where Shad Khan, the owner of the Jaguars, has dismissed this whole thing as Trump's way of showing his anger at not being allowed to buy the Buffalo Bills a few years ago. The sad thing is, that's the most reasonable explanation of his behavior yet. If he was really concerned about seeming Presidential, he'd have been off Twitter since the day he was elected except for official tweets from the White House (which has an account for that purpose).

The league is handling this exactly the right way. They know perfectly well that to frame this as an employer-employee issue of compliance would be the death of the league, because the players would most likely defy them just to see how they would react. They (the owners) would either have to make a spectacle of themselves by forfeiting games in front of an occupied stadium due to mass suspensions or back down and allow the protests anyway. There's no way they can win this fight, so why wage it in the first place?

The players have the upper hand, because without their services, how can the owners make money on Sunday afternoons, even if attendance is down? Do you want less than full stadiums and mediocre ratings or empty stadiums and no ratings at all? Those are their only two choices under the current climate, and they're correctly choosing to make less money for a time instead of none at all. They know that the flag wavers and military kiss-asses that I mentioned above will be back eventually; they're some of the worst NFL addicts out there, and they're hooked, whether they'll admit it in public or not.

Some of you on this board already admit to following box scores and such even though you're not watching the games, so how committed are you to your so-called "principles", anyway? You're just pissed off because your favorite entertainers aren't behaving the way you think they should. Well, guess what? There's no law that says they have to, so shut the hell up and deal with it.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-21-2017, 10:35 PM

My friend, don’t begin to tell me what to do and how to think. That’s the media’s job. You are way out of line.

Am I flag waiver, dang straight. That has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the game of football. Two separate issues.

No, the player do not have the upper hand. What they’ve done has caused a major loss of respect for themselves and the league they work for.

Indications are there is a drop off in attendance and viewership, so what up with the half full stadiums crap? It’s already happened. You haven’t even seen the tip off the iceberg of the economic fallout.

The league screwed the pooch here, and you can root for the protesters all you want, you can make personal comments about posters, our President all day long, it ain’t changing a thing.

There is a system of redress in this country that has worked for a long time. The protesters, and the league would be much better served using it.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-21-2017, 11:18 PM

(10-21-2017, 09:13 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: You don't respect the flag like normal Americans do; you wrap yourself up in it like a cocoon and pull it up over your heads so you don't have to hear and understand points of view that may be different from yours. 

Um... no. I have no fear of different points of view, nor do most folks on the right. Shutting down opposing viewpoints is actually a hallmark of the left, my friend. Look no further than the riotous "protests" on college campuses, etc., when there is a conservative speaker or viewpoint involved. You can get wound up as tight as you want about this National Anthem stuff... you will NEVER see any of us rioting, breaking shit, shouting people down or violating the rights of others over it. 

That kind of weak, embarrassing behavior comes from your camp.  Embarassed

(10-21-2017, 09:13 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Remember, it was Trump and his idiotic "They should be fired!" routine that inflamed this whole thing in the first place. There were people protesting before that, but he made it a personal challenge that they felt they had to meet just to prove to the world that they didn't agree with him. And he's still opening his mouth, to the point where Shad Khan, the owner of the Jaguars, has dismissed this whole thing as Trump's way of showing his anger at not being allowed to buy the Buffalo Bills a few years ago. The sad thing is, that's the most reasonable explanation of his behavior yet. If he was really concerned about seeming Presidential, he'd have been off Twitter since the day he was elected except for official tweets from the White House (which has an account for that purpose).

Trump just expressed what most of America was privately thinking, as he so often does. It's wrong to disrespect the flag/military/National Anthem at a football game. It has nothing to do with the things supposedly being protested. The fact that it galvanized Trump-haters out there says more about them than it does about him. Trump is Trump. I don't get too wrapped up in what he says one way or the other. He's crass, he's not my style, I still find it bizarre that he's actually our president... but I'm also glad its him and not corrupt Hillary Clinton. 

One thing is for sure about Trump... he knows exactly how to make the left lose their minds. I have no idea what his motivation is with his commentary on the NFL. I'm sure at least part of it is that he finds the disrespect for the flag repugnant. But there's something else... maybe it is a little revenge over the Buffalo thing? I'd never heard of that before, but in a way, it kinda makes sense. He's a counter-puncher. I'll say this... if that was his mission, to extract a little revenge on the NFL? Mission accomplished.  Laugh

(10-21-2017, 09:13 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: The league is handling this exactly the right way. They know perfectly well that to frame this as an employer-employee issue of compliance would be the death of the league, because the players would most likely defy them just to see how they would react. They (the owners) would either have to make a spectacle of themselves by forfeiting games in front of an occupied stadium due to mass suspensions or back down and allow the protests anyway. There's no way they can win this fight, so why wage it in the first place? 

The players have the upper hand, because without their services, how can the owners make money on Sunday afternoons, even if attendance is down? Do you want  less than full stadiums and mediocre ratings or empty stadiums and no ratings at all? Those are their only two choices under the current climate, and they're correctly choosing to make less money for a time instead of none at all. They know that the flag wavers and military kiss-asses that I mentioned above will be back eventually; they're some of the worst NFL addicts out there, and they're hooked, whether they'll admit it in public or not. 

Some of you on this board already admit to following box scores and such even though you're not watching the games, so how committed are you to your so-called "principles", anyway? You're just pissed off because your favorite entertainers aren't behaving the way you think they should. Well, guess what? There's no law that says they have to, so shut the hell up and deal with it.

Exactly the right way? Laugh How can you look at what's happening here and make the claim they're handling it the right way?   Pi_shocked

The opportunity to handle it "the right way" has long since passed. That ship sailed when they failed to immediately discipline Colin Kaepernick for violating the NFL's code of conduct during the National Anthem. The protocol for player behavior was very clear. But fearing the opportunistic leftist tactic of crying "Racism!!!" to exploit any issue that can be twisted and re-framed as "black vs. white," they wilted. They shrunk back and hoped it would go away. 

Stupid. Had they simply fined him -- like they do everything else -- this would've been done and over with a year ago. DONE.

Instead, Goodell let it fester. He handled it exactly the WRONG way, because they let it go so long that now, there is no right way. He got an early diagnosis and ignored it until it was too late. Treating cancer in stage I can wipe it out, cure it, make you as good as new. But if you wait to treat it until you're in stage IV, and all you can do is try to manage the pain while the destruction continues. A cure isn't even an option anymore. 

Goodell F-d up, BIG time. Because let me tell you something... while I continue to watch for now, I truly have bought my last bit of NFL "paraphernalia." No more jerseys, T-shirts, hats, mini-helmets, collectibles, tickets, posters, framed photos, football cards, mugs, glasses, license plate holders, McFarland figures, guitar straps (yes, I have a Steelers guitar strap), etc. It's much easier to stop buying than stop watching, and it makes my point just as effectively. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on the NFL over the years. But I will not spend another penny on it, and I'm confident there are hundreds of thousands of people just like me. It WILL have an impact, and at this point that is my goal... to have the NFL pay a price for being a bunch of pussies and for selling out the very servicemen and women that they have been "pretending" to honor (while actually exploiting) to increase their popularity over the years. 

Eventually, I might stop watching. My interest is already at an all-time low and when Ben retires, I'm pretty sure my interest in the "current" NFL will plummet.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-21-2017, 11:22 PM

I'm nor exactly sure of the numbers, but I know that attendance hasn't dropped by anywhere close to fifty percent. Neither have ratings. In fact, Monday Night Football's ratings are UP six percent over the same week for last year.

Most of shat you're saying is wishful thinking, and even if it's not the league has made a conscious decision to proceed in the way it has, and they surely know by now that they're costing themselves money. It's just possible that they consider the loss of right-wing (for the most part) fans and their money a necessary price to pay to promote racial harmony and understanding in the way THEY choose, not the way you or anyone else think they should.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-21-2017, 11:30 PM

Let me add one more to the fire here. GG made a dig on the President tweet.

What I find interesting is GG seems to think that it is OK and their right to protest in this manor because this is a deep belief that something is a wrong, and is perfectly he ok with it.

However, apparently our President, the communicating his deep belief that he is offended, is not offered the same right? The last time I looked at our constitution I didn’t notice that.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-21-2017, 11:32 PM

(10-21-2017, 11:22 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I'm nor exactly sure of the numbers, but I know that attendance hasn't dropped by anywhere close to fifty percent. Neither have ratings. In fact, Monday Night Football's ratings are UP six percent over the same week for last year.

Most of shat you're saying is wishful thinking, and even if it's not the league has made a conscious decision to proceed in the way it has, and they surely know by now that they're costing themselves money. It's just possible that they consider the loss of right-wing (for the most part) fans and their money a necessary price to pay to promote racial harmony and understanding in the way THEY choose, not the way you or anyone else think they should.

They didn’t drop 50% when the scabs played either. Just saying.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-21-2017, 11:59 PM

(10-21-2017, 11:22 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I'm nor exactly sure of the numbers, but I know that attendance hasn't dropped by anywhere close to fifty percent. Neither have ratings. In fact, Monday Night Football's ratings are UP six percent over the same week for last year.

And don’t accuse me of being right wing either. But since you brought it up, half off the country leans to the right. 

Speaking of wishful thinking, I’m not so sure the NFL is onboard with giving up half of their value in the pursuit of racial harmony.

Racial harmony stars in the heart, not in the media. You seem to forget, the same media that has been flaming racial tensions, is the same media that trumpets diversity. Think about it. When was the last article that you  have you seen that headlines, ‘look folks, we’re all in this together and we need to work this out, now!” 

Please make no mistake, I am not denying that racism exists. It certainly does and it is sickening what has and continues to be an issue. 

The first step in recovery is to acknowledge there is a problem, and for most at this point all are well aware. The second step is you need faith in the ability to heal, that this truly is something we can overcome. 

The third and most difficult step is we have to reduce the  mistrust & suspicion. Let me give you an example. I’m a white older male, and you and 5 of your buds are standing on the corner. I walk up. How likely are you to look at me with a smile and say hello, or is your first thought, what is this guy upto and look away.

See, this is where it starts, and we ALL need to take those opportunities one interaction at a time and and make them positive. If it doesn’t start now with me, you, it’s never going to happen. It sure as hell not going to happen in the paper.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

10-22-2017, 12:24 AM

"Some of you flag wavers and military kiss-asses will do anything to discredit the players, won't you? Now they're mentally ill because they dared to disrespect your precious piece of cloth? Get real."

Great Uncle died in combat. Father and his father (my grandfather) both served in combat in WW II. I served 21 years in the military. I can't force it to be your piece of cloth, but it is pathetic that so many out of touch pukes don't, "get" the meaning of that piece of cloth and how deeply ingrained it is in their morale fibre and belief system.

- Jack Lambert
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-22-2017, 01:09 AM

It's not going to drop 50%. Maybe 25 years from now, it'll be down 50%. But not short term. It only takes a few percent to really impact their bottom line and effect player salaries. 

The NFL has a very healthy 15% operating margin. A 6%-8% decline in viewership (which seems to be the current range) is HUGE. And I expect the decline in revenue from clothing and collectibles will be larger than that. A whole lot more people will be getting NFL Sunday Ticket for free next year than this year, and far fewer will be paying for the service. 

The crazy thing is, there are smart and constructive ways to make social change, to fight inequality, to fight racism and sexism and all the other isms. Protesting the National Anthem and the flag is not one of them. It's stupid. It's ultimately going to hurt the players and the league while doing nothing to improve race relations or people's lives. THose kinds of positive changes are made OFF the field.

Whatever. They pissed in their own bed and now they get to lie in it.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-22-2017, 01:37 AM

For someone that wants better racial harmony sure posts a lot decisive thoughts. Yikes.

Krunch, Thanks for your service.