Bryant wants out?
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-27-2017, 09:11 AM

(10-27-2017, 04:14 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 07:32 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Do you ever talk about anything other than how bad Todd Haley is? You've become so one-note it's disgusting. Even the debate about the anthem wasn't as bad as this; even though I disagreed with the conservative point of view (and still do), they at least have legitimate reasons for feeling the way they do; they served in the military or knew someone who did. What the hell did Haley ever do to you? You sound like he beat you out for something and you haven't gotten over it. Grow up and stop whining, for God's sake!

"conservative point of view"??

The issue is about respecting the flag.  Kaepernick said that himself, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that <his particular grievance>"

I'm a member of the "flag wavers and military kiss-ass" club, and think the organization should have it's employees follow US Code guidance on showing respect for the national colors.  

Individual rights have nothing to do which THIS issue.  I'm a consumer asking the business that provides me my product to provide it in such a way I'm willing to pay for.

How in the hell is that a "conservative point of view"??  Does everything have to be politicized?

Take care in calling anyone 'one-note' before looking in the mirror.
I’m still trying to find out what is inherently wrong with a conservative point of view. That said, I don’t find a liberal point of view totally abhorrent either. What I object to is I’m more of a libertarian and to be accused of being a “conservative” is an effort to paint me into a nice tidy target of derision. 

I don’t need to be told what to think, how to act, and what I may or not be offended by. I am not a victim, I don’t need the government to be my nanny, and I sure don’t appreciate having to pay for those that do, especially those that could be productive but chose not to.

Further, I feel everybody has the right to make as many choices as they can think of, but deserve no remedy or protection from the consequences of their actions and life choices. In a nut shell, with regard to “Knee Gate”, I honestly believe these guys, as long as the league is ok with it, are free to express themselves how they choose. 

But, like a coin, there are two sides, and the other side of this coin are the consequences. Which as a libertarian, I have a right to my feelings, and it’s my right to be  allowed to offended. While I’m not going to waste my time kneeling, you’d better believe I’m going to be voting next week as an educated informed voter. 

As for the NFL, they are already experiencing the consequences of allowing this demonstration. It’s undeniable and it has and will continue to cost them dearly.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-28-2017, 12:26 AM

Anyone who agrees with Trump that players should be forced to stand for the anthem against their will is a conservative in my book, regardless of what they choose to call themselves. I have no patience for that point of view or those who subscribe to it, especially a sleazebag who spends his time talking about grabbing women's intimate parts and making fun of the handicapped, to name just two horrible things I can't believe Trump got away with. I'd rather have had Hillary run the country by secret e-mail account while Bill smoked cigars and bopped interns in the background. (Full disclosure: I have cerebral palsy, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw that video. Don't waste your time trying to defend him or explain it away, because I don't want to hear it.)

Back on topic, for people like Shyne who can only tolerate the NFL product if the players stand for the anthem, there are plenty of others who wouldn't, who'd turn it off because they'd see that as black players being forced to knuckle under to the white establishment. The NFL's going to lose wither the most of its liberal viewers or most of its conservative viewers by the time all's said and done; it's just a matter of which side they're willing to lose. If it was my choice, I'd take the liberals, but unfortunately it's not.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017, 12:27 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-28-2017, 01:50 AM

(10-28-2017, 12:26 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Anyone who agrees with Trump that players should be forced to stand for the anthem against their will is a conservative in my book, regardless of what they choose to call themselves. I have no patience for that point of view or those who subscribe to it, especially a sleazebag who spends his time talking about grabbing women's intimate parts and making fun of the handicapped, to name just two horrible things I can't believe Trump got away with. I'd rather have had Hillary run the country by secret e-mail account while Bill smoked cigars and bopped interns in the background. (Full disclosure: I have cerebral palsy, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw that video. Don't waste your time trying to defend him or explain it away, because I don't want to hear it.)  

Back on topic, for people like Shyne who can only tolerate the NFL product if the players stand for the anthem, there are plenty of others who wouldn't, who'd turn it off because they'd see that as black players being forced to knuckle under to the white establishment. The NFL's going to lose wither the most of its liberal viewers or most of its conservative viewers by the time all's said and done; it's just a matter of which side they're willing to lose. If it was my choice, I'd take the liberals, but unfortunately it's not.

I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not. But I can say is WOW. Not to turn this into a political forum but you'd rather have Hillary run the country, a person that signed-off on selling 20% of our yellow-cake uranium to one #1 geopolitical foe, not to mention collaborating with Fusion GPS and allowing a foreign country (Russia) to interfere with a national election. 

Here is what Rocky Bleier says about the protest and I believe he has more credibility than most that post here and certainly more than Keapernick, who didn't serve and by his own words doesn't even vote (sorry I can't get ti to copy and paste):

Read more: https://sports.yahoo.com/steelers-icon-v...28379.html

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017, 01:52 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-28-2017, 02:18 AM

As opposed to insulting the minorities I talked about above, ignoring all three areas of the US that were hit by hurricanes (while calling the mayor of San Juan "a nasty woman" to boot), and essentially bankrupting the Secret Service for the rest of the year because he insists in traveling every weekend to play golf? Damn right.

As for Rocky, he has a right to his opinion, but it's not that simple. If you punish the players, you run the risk of not having a product because the players could refuse to take the field. If you have no opportunity to find replacement players, the only other option you have is to cancel the game, which means refunding every bit of money to the fans already in the stadium, plus loss of concession money, parking fees, and possibly amusement taxes.

You're telling me that the American flag and the national anthem mean more to Jerry Jones or Art Rooney II than his guaranteed payday every Sunday? Like hell they do. That's why the players have the upper hand now and will continue to have it going forward. All the NFLPA has to say is, "If you don't let us have a choice in how to react to the anthem- which means anything from standing and saluting to spitting on the ground and turning our backs- there will be no games played anywhere in the NFL once the anthem is finished, CBA or no CBA." It won't get to that point unless something terrible happens, but the very prospect should scare the living hell out of the NFL and everyone connected with it.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017, 02:32 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-28-2017, 02:26 AM

(10-28-2017, 02:18 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: As opposed to insulting the minorities I talked about above, ignoring all three areas of the US that were hit by hurricanes (while calling the mayor of San Juan "a nasty woman" to boot), and essentially bankrupting the Secret Service for the rest of the year because he insists in traveling every weekend to play golf? Damn right.

I think political discussions should be in the coffee house section of this site. I'm sure we can have a great discussion.

Next - Minkah, #39!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-28-2017, 04:47 AM

(10-28-2017, 02:26 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 02:18 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: As opposed to insulting the minorities I talked about above, ignoring all three areas of the US that were hit by hurricanes (while calling the mayor of San Juan "a nasty woman" to boot), and essentially bankrupting the Secret Service for the rest of the year because he insists in traveling every weekend to play golf? Damn right.

I think political discussions should be in the coffee house section of this site. I'm sure we can have a great discussion.
Hard to have an intelligent discussion with a closed mind.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-28-2017, 05:37 AM

(10-28-2017, 12:26 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Anyone who agrees with Trump that players should be forced to stand for the anthem against their will is a conservative in my book, regardless of what they choose to call themselves. I have no patience for that point of view or those who subscribe to it, especially a sleazebag who spends his time talking about grabbing women's intimate parts and making fun of the handicapped, to name just two horrible things I can't believe Trump got away with. I'd rather have had Hillary run the country by secret e-mail account while Bill smoked cigars and bopped interns in the background. (Full disclosure: I have cerebral palsy, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw that video. Don't waste your time trying to defend him or explain it away, because I don't want to hear it.)  

Garrett, you seem to be missing a lot here. Just because the POTUS said something does not alter the fact that what these players are doing in response make does not make this protest  a good business decision. The facts are in on that score, and it’s going to be a long time coming back. This has nothing to do with conservatives or race. It’s just a plain old fact, but go ahead and ignore it if you choose. 

Further, I find your usage of the term “Conservative”offensive as well, in my case horrifically misplaced, not to mention extremely divisive. For a guy that espouses racial equality this is not the right message. 

What I’m hearing you say is, “We are not the problem. You  are the problem, and don’t expect us to move one inch to find common ground.” 

I dare you to honestly ask yourself this question, what am I doing to promote racial harmony? I’m going out on a limb here and guess that you are doing very little, and feel that everybody else is at fault, so why should you? If that is indeed the case, you may be as much of a racist as those you accuse.

Look man, deep down we all, want the same thing. Good schools, jobs, safe streets, a stable economy, a chance to help our fellow man, some upward mobility, and in this pursuit, there isn’t just one way to get there. There is no right way, it’s just someways are more efficient than others.

You and me squabbling over this, calling out names, and pigeon holing  large blocks of people is not going to help us get to the common goal of a decent quality of life for all.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-28-2017, 04:59 PM

I've read several times today that some major NFL sponsors threatened to pull their ads if the players were forced to stand for the anthem. Now we know why Goodell and the owners aren't going to change their policy; to do so would be economic suicide, just as I've claimed several times

Isn't it interesting that the sponsors who believe in the players' right to protest on the field if they so choose were the ones who threatened to withdraw their economic support first?

tsmith2219
Special Teamer

10-28-2017, 10:23 PM

What any of this political grandstanding has to do with the Bryant situation I will never know but the NFL has an easy out if they want to take it "Don't show the players, the crowd or any of the political circus on TV put the cameras on the FLAG during the anthem where it belongs".
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-29-2017, 12:58 AM

The NFL thought about dictating anthem policy and almost lost at least one sponsor for daring to try. I don't think they'll be dictating anything to do with the flag or the anthem any time soon if they know what's good for their bottom line.
tsmith2219
Special Teamer

10-29-2017, 01:19 AM

There bottom line is they are already taking a hit their numbers are way down across the board and sponsors have already started pulling over the politicizing. They won't but they should do what I mentioned above and save the politics for the Fake news outlets so people can enjoy their few hours every week away from work and politics. To clarify my comment about Fake news I am talking about all of them conservative and liberal so called news outlets they should just present facts so people can be informed if they have to provide a narrative to sway people to their agenda then they are no longer news.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-29-2017, 02:20 AM

Name a national sponsor that's pulled out. I haven't heard of any, and I haven't heard of any that were considering doing so if the players didn't stand, only if they were FORCED by the NFL to stand.

Score one for the liberals, I suppose.
tsmith2219
Special Teamer

10-29-2017, 07:28 AM

Ok, Garrett I have said nothing negative or even contradictory to your points but it appears you just want to fight and argue so I am done with this conversation. I like how you added the word National to conversation to try to prove your point very deceptive but sponsors have left just google what has happened in Denver and Allen Jones out of Cleveland pulling his companies from any sponsorship of NFL. The major sponsors are still there and probably won't do anything until their bottom lines are affected and will do what every brings them the most profit that is why Budweiser is polling the customers for their opinions.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-29-2017, 07:50 AM

I know a couple of local sponsors left; that's exactly why I added the word "national", meaning the sponsors all of us see every Sunday no matter where we are. I couldn't care less if some company in Cleveland pulls out of the Browns games; talk to me when Ford or Budweiser pulls out of Sunday Night Football.

I guess no one wants to talk about the fact that the NFL stands to lose at least one major sponsor if they try to mandate that players stand for the anthem. That's one more than they've been threatened with losing if the players keep protesting, in case you're curious,
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-30-2017, 03:26 PM

Based on Tomlin's post game comments I think Bryant is out of here.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-30-2017, 11:42 PM

As for Rocky, he has a right to his opinion, but it's not that simple. If you punish the players, you run the risk of not having a product because the players could refuse to take the field. If you have no opportunity to find replacement players, the only other option you have is to cancel the game, which means refunding every bit of money to the fans already in the stadium, plus loss of concession money, parking fees, and possibly amusement taxes.

You're telling me that the American flag and the national anthem mean more to Jerry Jones or Art Rooney II than his guaranteed payday every Sunday?  Like hell they do. That's why the players have the upper hand now and will continue to have it going forward. All the NFLPA has to say is, "If you don't let us have a choice in how to react to the anthem- which means anything from standing and saluting to spitting on the ground and turning our backs- there will be no games played anywhere in the NFL once the anthem is finished, CBA or no CBA." It won't get to that point unless something terrible happens, but the very prospect should scare the living hell out of the NFL and everyone connected with it.

You don't like the President.  Got it.  If I could click an "ignore" link - I would.  

A word of advice:  Pull your head out of your ass and stop looking at the world through someone else' filter.  Selective outrage paints you as a partisan hack that isn't to be taken seriously.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-30-2017, 11:57 PM

(10-30-2017, 11:42 PM)RaynorShyne Wrote:

You're telling me that the American flag and the national anthem mean more to Jerry Jones or Art Rooney II than his guaranteed payday every Sunday?  Like hell they do. That's why the players have the upper hand now and will continue to have it going forward. All the NFLPA has to say is, "If you don't let us have a choice in how to react to the anthem- which means anything from standing and saluting to spitting on the ground and turning our backs- there will be no games played anywhere in the NFL once the anthem is finished, CBA or no CBA." It won't get to that point unless something terrible happens, but the very prospect should scare the living hell out of the NFL and everyone connected with it.

You don't like the President.  Got it.  If I could click an "ignore" link - I would.  

A word of advice:  Pull your head out of your ass and stop looking at the world through someone else' filter.  Selective outrage paints you as a partisan hack that isn't to be taken seriously.
Amen.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-31-2017, 02:50 AM

If partisan hack means that I have no use for a man who insults everyone he can think of as often as possible and demeans the office of the Presidency every day he holds it, you're absolutely right, and I'm proud of it. He lost me the day the video making fun of that reporter's condition came out. All I could think was that I'd wanted to be a writer at one time, and what if that had been me? What if I'd had the opportunity to interview an important figure like Donald Trump and had my cerebral palsy made into a joke? There's no need for me to see things through anyone else's filter; my own is damning enough. I'm no fan of Hillary's when you come down to it either, but at least she knows better than to insult people publically (most of the time, anyway).
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-31-2017, 04:47 AM

Hey guy, let’s take this discussion off the sports thread. I’m going to shoot you a PM. We keep this up here we both might be banned. ok?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-31-2017, 05:01 AM

(10-31-2017, 02:50 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: If partisan hack means that I have no use for a man who insults everyone he can think of as often as possible and demeans the office of the Presidency every day he holds it, you're absolutely right, and I'm proud of it. He lost me the day the video making fun of that reporter's condition came out. All I could think was that I'd wanted to be a writer at one time, and what if that had been me? What if I'd had the opportunity to interview an important figure like Donald Trump and had my cerebral palsy made into a joke? There's no need for me to see things through anyone else's filter; my own is damning enough. I'm no fan of Hillary's when you come down to it either, but at least she knows better than to insult people publically (most of the time, anyway).

Dude, he wasn't making fun of the reporter's physical condition.  That's an exaggerated motion that Trump uses to mock people when he thinks they're waffling or trying to wiggle out of something. There are other examples of the same arm waving, same voice, same goofy face for people with no physical disabilities. Unless Ted Cruz has some sort of condition I don't know about? 

Trump looks juvenile when he does all of the gesticulating, I don't dispute that. Nor do I dispute that he's an insulting guy. But he was calling the reporter out for what he viewed as backtracking on his story, not mocking his disability.  

By the way, if you've ever seen video of that reporter, he's totally calm, cool and collected. He doesn't move in a wild, out of control way like that. His arm is locked in place; no spasms, no wild flailing. 

There are plenty of reasons to get offended over Trump. However, this one is bogus. It's easy to portray it as one thing when it's actually something else, so the media ran with it to create outrage.

If you're gonna hate the guy, at least depend on real reasons to hate him.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-31-2017, 05:02 AM

(10-29-2017, 02:20 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Name a national sponsor that's pulled out. I haven't heard of any, and I haven't heard of any that were considering doing so if the players didn't stand, only if they were FORCED by the NFL to stand.

Score one for the liberals, I suppose.

What sponsors threatened to pull out?
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-31-2017, 07:53 AM

The article I read didn't say, Tim, probably because whichever sponsor it was decided not to pull out after all.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-31-2017, 10:19 AM

(10-31-2017, 05:01 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 02:50 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: If partisan hack means that I have no use for a man who insults everyone he can think of as often as possible and demeans the office of the Presidency every day he holds it, you're absolutely right, and I'm proud of it. He lost me the day the video making fun of that reporter's condition came out. All I could think was that I'd wanted to be a writer at one time, and what if that had been me? What if I'd had the opportunity to interview an important figure like Donald Trump and had my cerebral palsy made into a joke? There's no need for me to see things through anyone else's filter; my own is damning enough. I'm no fan of Hillary's when you come down to it either, but at least she knows better than to insult people publically (most of the time, anyway).

Dude, he wasn't making fun of the reporter's physical condition.  That's an exaggerated motion that Trump uses to mock people when he thinks they're waffling or trying to wiggle out of something. There are other examples of the same arm waving, same voice, same goofy face for people with no physical disabilities. Unless Ted Cruz has some sort of condition I don't know about? 

Trump looks juvenile when he does all of the gesticulating, I don't dispute that. Nor do I dispute that he's an insulting guy. But he was calling the reporter out for what he viewed as backtracking on his story, not mocking his disability.  

By the way, if you've ever seen video of that reporter, he's totally calm, cool and collected. He doesn't move in a wild, out of control way like that. His arm is locked in place; no spasms, no wild flailing. 

There are plenty of reasons to get offended over Trump. However, this one is bogus. It's easy to portray it as one thing when it's actually something else, so the media ran with it to create outrage.

If you're gonna hate the guy, at least depend on real reasons to hate him.

Tim is actually spot on this topic. I saw a report saying pretty much the same thing. I could see how is was used by the Dems, however he wasn't mocking the disabled reporter. 

Tim - thank you for posting.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-31-2017, 03:38 PM

So the reporter doesn't move anything like that, yet Trump took it upon himself to thrash around like a crazy man just because? That makes him look WORSE, not better.

People with the sense God gave a piece of wood know better than to act like that. The question is, does Donald Trump have the sense of a piece of wood? That question's already been answered, at least to my satisfaction. Take him, enjoy him, worship him if you like. I'll wait out these four years and hope that a liberal Democrat wins in 2020 and puts this country back on the path to true greatness.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-31-2017, 11:21 PM

“The trouble with Socialism is that,  eventually, you run out of other people’s money.”

Margaret Thatcher
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-01-2017, 01:11 AM

"The trouble with socialism is it usally starts out with "free healthcare for everyone"

and ends with:

"Hey, there's a dumpster over yonder we can look for food in."

What happens when the rich run out of money?????

Next - Minkah, #39!
Crash
Hall of Famer

11-01-2017, 03:15 AM

Bryant was told he's in the game plan week 10.

I say he won't get 20 snaps.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

11-01-2017, 03:43 AM

(11-01-2017, 01:11 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: "The trouble with socialism is it usally starts out with "free healthcare for everyone"

and ends with:

"Hey, there's a dumpster over yonder we can look for food in."

What happens when the rich run out of money?????

The government has been running out of money most years. Deficit spending eventually has to be paid back. We’ve been paying it back with inflation. Think about this, since 1970, our dollar, yep, the one backed by the full pledge and promise of the federal government, has lost over 90% of its value. 

As for what happens when the rich run out of money, the Fed just prints more money, and we turn into Greece.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-01-2017, 03:47 AM

(11-01-2017, 03:15 AM)Crash Wrote: Bryant was told he's in the game plan week 10.  

I only wish for the best for this young man. Perhaps the offense can get some of the wrinkles ironed out. Do they practice during the bye week or not?

Next - Minkah, #39!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

11-01-2017, 10:25 PM

(11-01-2017, 03:47 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 03:15 AM)Crash Wrote: Bryant was told he's in the game plan week 10.  

I only wish for the best for this young man. Perhaps the offense can get some of the wrinkles ironed out. Do they practice during the bye week or not?

The practiced yesterday, but now are off for the rest of the week.