I suppose that was a game last night...players
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-30-2017, 11:50 PM

I don’t know what was worse, our OL, Ben’s inconsistency, Butt’s defensive game plan, the Lion’s Red Zone issues ( and we thought our’s is bad, P-U), the officials, and input from Madison Avenue. 

It was a win, and at the end of the year, that’s all that matters, but....

Ben had another off night from what we’ve known of him in the past. A lot of overthrows, some by a lot. I heard a commentary that said that as you age, the strength in your legs is the first to go. The arm is still potent as ever, but without the bottom half, it’s hard to control it. Might be something there, or it could be they are just are not getting enough practice reps. Still out of sync.

The D got absolutely trashed, red zone excepted. They were getting gash by both passing and running the ball. Missed tackles all over, loss of containment, little pressure on the pocket, LOBs getting manhandled by two of the worst tackles in the NFL, more on this later, and a suddenly pourus secondary. The three LB Formation with Watt in the middle as a rover was a bust, as his impact from that position was exactly one deflected pass. Meanwhile, Shazier is back there in zone and for the most part, out of the play. We also got gashed by a woeful Lion ground game when in that formation.

Detroit is a team you can run on for days. Our OL should have made mincemeat out of them. Very few second level blocks, which happens when there is no movement on the down 4, and especially the two DTs that played a whale of a game. Where were the traps and counters? If ever there was an opponent that you could build a grind ‘em into the turf game plan, this was it, but no. We’re going to fool them with an erratic passing attack. I have to tip my hat to Jim Caldwell and the Lions  DC as they had a great game plan to sell out to stuff the run. We were fortunate to get just enough out of our maddeningly inconsistent passing game (thank you Juju) to pull out a win.

Normally, I don’t get too cranked over bad calls, what Detroit’s offensive tackles were allowed to get away with was criminal. Dupree and Watt were being tackled all game long. And ZERO flags. Of course, if correctly enforced rules were called, the the game would still be in the 2nd quarter, Lions at the goal line with the refs determining the penalty yardage with a micrometer. It totally smacks of Madison Ave sending an edict the officiating crew to make sure the game competitive for the national broadcast. 

Yeah, it’s a win, but like I said in 2005 and 2008 at the same point of the season, I’m  not seeing anything that looks like a championship caliber football . I sure hope I’m wrong, again.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2017, 11:53 PM by dbsfgyd1.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-31-2017, 01:47 AM

(10-30-2017, 11:50 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: I don’t know what was worse, our OL, Ben’s inconsistency, Butt’s defensive game plan, the Lion’s Red Zone issues ( and we thought our’s is bad, P-U), the officials, and input from Madison Avenue. 

It was a win, and at the end of the year, that’s all that matters, but....

Ben had another off night from what we’ve known of him in the past. A lot of overthrows, some by a lot. I heard a commentary that said that as you age, the strength in your legs is the first to go. The arm is still potent as ever, but without the bottom half, it’s hard to control it. Might be something there, or it could be they are just are not getting enough practice reps. Still out of sync.

The D got absolutely trashed, red zone excepted. They were getting gash by both passing and running the ball. Missed tackles all over, loss of containment, little pressure on the pocket, LOBs getting manhandled by two of the worst tackles in the NFL, more on this later, and a suddenly pourus secondary. The three LB Formation with Watt in the middle as a rover was a bust, as his impact from that position was exactly one deflected pass. Meanwhile, Shazier is back there in zone and for the most part, out of the play. We also got gashed by a woeful Lion ground game when in that formation.

Detroit is a team you can run on for days. Our OL should have made mincemeat out of them. Very few second level blocks, which happens when there is no movement on the down 4, and especially the two DTs that played a whale of a game. Where were the traps and counters? If ever there was an opponent that you could build a grind ‘em into the turf game plan, this was it, but no. We’re going to fool them with an erratic passing attack. I have to tip my hat to Jim Caldwell and the Lions  DC as they had a great game plan to sell out to stuff the run. We were fortunate to get just enough out of our maddeningly inconsistent passing game (thank you Juju) to pull out a win.

Normally, I don’t get too cranked over bad calls, what Detroit’s offensive tackles were allowed to get away with was criminal. Dupree and Watt were being tackled all game long. And ZERO flags. Of course, if correctly enforced rules were called, the the game would still be  in the 2nd quarter, Lions at the goal line with the refs determining the penalty yardage with a micrometer. It totally smacks of Madison Ave sending an edict the officiating crew to make sure the game competitive for the national broadcast. 

Yeah, it’s a win, but like I said in 2005 and 2008 at the same point of the season, I’m  not seeing anything that looks like a championship caliber football . I sure hope I’m wrong, again.

Short on time, but a few quick thoughts:

Yes, Ben still looks a bit off his game. But he also had two perfect TD passes dropped last night (Rogers and Hunter). The one Eli dropped was EASY. No excuse for it. Ben and Haley both look better if the receivers just do what they get paid to do. 

That said, the offensive play calling was horrific. HORRIFIC. Embarrassing. I spent so much of the the game just gritting my teeth and wanting to strangle Haley for once again having no discernible game plan and as a result, the opposing team was "in it" until the very end. We should've put 40+ up on these guys with the talent we have. The Lions had an extra week to prepare for this game, so I'll give them some credit for making good use of it in terms of containing Bell. 

As for the defense, Matt Stafford is a unique talent. He can make throws that most other QBs can't make. Those deep outs into gaps vs cover two require a cannon arm. He's one of the few that can pull it off. I live a hour from Detroit and while the Lions team isn't legit, Stafford is. I wasn't surprised to see him pile up some passing yards on us. That's the strength of their team and Detroit's offensive play calling between the 20's was very creative, very effective. But the play of our defense in the red zone was OUT OF THIS WORLD. The Lions are not a team that has trouble scoring. Passing yards aside, that defensive effort was phenomenal. Detroit was stupid to not kick FGs. The inept way our offense played, they could've beaten us had they just taken the easy 3's. Poor coaching (which is why they continue to struggle as a team). Caldwell is a nitwit. 

Not sure what you mean about getting "gashed" by the run. Their longest run was 11 yds (a scramble by Stafford) and their leading rusher had 27 yds. 

You're on the money about the officiating. Terrible. There were so many uncalled, obvious penalties. I think you're right... the officials got the word from "on high" to stay out of the way unless they needed to intervene to keep it close.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-31-2017, 03:23 AM

For the most part your assessment is pretty much spot on. Maybe “gashed” was too harsh of a word to describe our run defense, but they did give up too many successful runs based on down and distance to gain a first down.

As for the pass defense, no argument here about Stafford. The guy is big time, and is one of two QBs in the league Rodgers being the other, I would love to see in black and gold.

That said, having our ILBs running into zones, at the expense sitting defensive backs that are actually built for coverage to me is dumb, considering it limits our ability make the other team one dimensional. Specifically in the second half, the Lions were certainly 2 dimensional before they were forced to be 1 dimensional due to short yardage, not to mention linebackers being 10 yards closer to the LOS.