2017 NFL Mock Draft contest
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-26-2017, 04:55 AM

The rules are simple. Select who you think the Steelers will pick with each draft slot. Scoring is as follows.

5 points for correct player in correct round and slot
3 points for correct player, but wrong round. 
1 point if correct position in correct round

Steel's deal:

1.) (30) - Obi Melafonwu - CB - UCon

2.) (62) - Tim Williams - Edge - Alabama 

3A.) (94) - Cordrea Tankersley - CB 

3B.) (105) ArDarius Stewart - WR - Alabama 

4.) (135) Wayme Gallman -RB - Clemson

5.) (173) Steven Taylor - LB - Houston

6.) (213) Ben Gedeon - ILB - Michigan

7.) (248) Chad Kelly - QB - Mississippi

Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2017, 04:58 AM by Desert Steel.)
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-26-2017, 07:32 AM

Chuck, do you still have Pastrami's address?
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-26-2017, 08:06 AM

(04-26-2017, 04:55 AM)Desert Steel Wrote: The rules are simple. Select who you think the Steelers will pick with each draft slot. Scoring is as follows.

5 points for correct player in correct round and slot
3 points for correct player, but wrong round. 
1 point if correct position in correct round

Steel's deal:

1.) (30) - Obi Melafonwu - CB - UCon

2.) (62) - Tim Williams - Edge - Alabama 

3A.) (94) - Cordrea Tankersley - CB 

3B.) (105) ArDarius Stewart - WR - Alabama 

4.) (135) Wayme Gallman -RB - Clemson

5.) (173) Steven Taylor - LB - Houston

6.) (213) Ben Gedeon - ILB - Michigan

7.) (248) Chad Kelly - QB - Mississippi

How do you envision Tim Williams falling that far?  There's no way that can happen no?
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-26-2017, 09:33 AM

Yes, I envision secondary in Round 1 and Edge in Round 2. Very, very deep draft for both positions but the bigger need is in the secondary.

My wildcard is Davis Webb, QB, Cal in the 2nd. He would be to Ben as Rodgers was to Favre.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-27-2017, 12:41 AM

The "official" Chucktown "all-Ohio" draft:

1.) Derek Rivers - Edge - Youngstown State University
2.) Curtis Samuel - RB - Thee Ohio State University
3a.) RaeKwon McMillan - ILB - Thee Ohio State University
3b.) Blair Brown - OLB - Ohio
4.) Pat Elflein - OG - Thee Ohio State University
5.) Kareem Hunt - RBF - Toledo
6.) Noah Brown - WR - Thee Ohio State University
7.) Treyvon Hester - DL3T - Toledo
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2017, 12:44 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-28-2017, 12:37 AM

1.) Safety/Corner - Obi Melifonwu - UConn
This pick would break the mold of what the Steelers typically do in the first round as Obi is a 23 year old Senior and they normally draft younger in the first.  But Obi not only has the highest SPARQ rating of any player in this draft, he also has the man cover skills that the Steelers have said they wanted moving forward and has shown the versatility to slide from Safety to Corner.  He could potentially replace Mike Mitchell at Free Safety with his size and range.  On the other hand, if they don't think he has the reaction speed necessary to play Safety, he could make the move to CB on the outside.  Like Bud Dupree, Obi is not typical age of what the Steelers target in the first round, but his potential may be just the kind of "clay" that Mike Tomlin and company fancy molding at Defensive Back  Pi_wink1 .
Given the history of the Steelers going after younger fellas in the first round and how they've been burned by Jarvis Jones and Ziggy Hood in the past when they've broken that trend, I was actually skeptical to put Obi here.  But like Bud Dupree, Obi is a physical freak of nature with tremendous potential. 
2.) OLB - Jordan Willis Kansas St
This is probably a bit of wishful thinking on my part that he'll even still be here in the 2nd but I have a gut instinct that the Steelers may opt to trade up in the 2nd for some reason.  Given the depth of this draft an early 2nd is practically on par with another 1st round talent.
3a.) QB - Nate Peterman - Pitt
Nate had the 2nd highest Wonderlic test score behind Brad Kaaya.  I may be totally wrong, but I think this time, the Steelers pull the trigger on the hometown kid and hopefully it pans out well.
3b.) CB - Rasul Douglas - WVU
Another large defensive back who can help the Steelers incorporate man coverage schemes into their defense.
4.) OLB - Samson Ebukam - Eastern Washington
Scored #3 on Edge rushers SPARQ score.  Low risk, high potential.  This is also a pick that I'm sticking with here if my 2nd round pick of Jordan Willis doesn't happen.  The Steelers have dumped so many high round picks into edge rushers, yet Joey Porter was a 3rd round pick and James Harrison wasn't even drafted.
5.) HB - James Conner - Pitt
It just feels like the kind of year to roll the dice on a couple of hometown boys with good character and work ethic. 
6.) WR - Robert Davis - Georgia State
Another possible diamond in the rough Pi_question_mark
7.) DT - Stevie Tu'ikolovatu - USC
We're nearing the end of the Dan McCullers project, time to start a new project Pi_question_mark

This is pretty much my first EVER attempt at a mock draft.  So I don't have high expectations for accuracy (especially in the late rounds).
At any rate, I threw this together for fun so that I could participate.

I've enjoyed projected scenarios where the Steelers trade down out of the 1st round for extra picks in the 3rd and 5th.
I even like to imagine what they could haul in if they traded down out of the 1st then back up to give themselves a couple of early 2nd round picks for the value there.
But the question would come down to how valuable that 5th year option is to them with a 1st round pick.
For this mock I just stuck with the given format.
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-28-2017, 12:40 AM

(04-26-2017, 11:23 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: Steelers got some nice talent injection last season on the defensive side of the ball. They do need to improve the edge pressure. Timmons is getting old too, and my mock doesn't include an inside LB.

I picked all guys who actually visited the facilities. It will be interesting to watch this weekend.

Timmons is gone, Lake.
He went to the Dolphins in free agency.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

04-28-2017, 02:05 AM

I updated my picks after considering things further ... Should be interesting to see how the Steelers draft ... I'm pretty certain they'll get some much needed injection of youth and toughness at both OLB and ILB ...

Big Grin Super Bowl or Bust !!! ... (I'm guessing "Bust") ... but hey ... 
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-29-2017, 11:11 AM

Would've been a great selection for us. Miami building a little defense down there.