1978 Steelers 28 at Jets 17
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Classic Game of the Week: 1978 Steelers 28 at Jets 17

[Image: 1978_steelers_at_jets.jpg]

Steelers Aerial Assault Bombs the Jets

As the surprising 2019 Steelers -- tragically undermanned and apparently held together with spit and duct tape ("Duck" tape?) -- prepare to take on the NY Jets with a playoff berth on the line, we take a look back at a Steelers team who faced ZERO challenges in the talent department: The 1978 Squad.

With the Jets throwing everything they have at the Steeler running game, holding the Steelers to just 60 yds rushing through 3 quarters, Terry Bradshaw shifts to a precision passing game and coolly slings 3 TD passes as he picks apart New York's defense in remarkably easy fashion.

Lynn Swann is absolutely devastating, catching 7 passes for 102 yds & 2 TDs (with another great catch nullified by a motion penalty) and Stallworth adds 4 catches for 43 yds as the Steelers gain more yards through the air than on the ground for the 5th straight week against a young and over-matched Jets secondary.

The Jets, who didn't figure to put a dent in the Steel Curtain, move the ball surprisingly well at times against Pittsburgh's top-rated defense, particularly on the ground during the first half. But New York comes away empty a few too many times due to miscues, and after giving up a few big plays early, the Steel Curtain finally wakes up and gets down to business. Jets backup QB Matt Robinson (subbing for an injured Richard Todd) is sacked 5 times and spends a good deal of the 2nd half looking out his ear hole as the Steelers open up a 28-10 third quarter lead.

A very entertaining game which includes Franco Harris throwing the one of the butt-ugliest passes you'll ever see. Of course, no Jets game is complete without a blatant cheap shot by the defense. With less than 2 minutes remaining, LB Mike Hennigan dives head first into Bradshaw's planted right leg leaving everyone in Pittsburgh holding their collective breath as the future Hall of Fame QB lies on the grass writhing in agony. Fortunately, Bradshaw escapes with only a bruised knee as the Steelers move to 5-0 for the first time in team history.

A nice-quality game with Sam Nover and Bob Trumpy call for NBC.

>> Watch the Game <<
Unregistered

06-16-2017, 05:08 PM

'78 Jets were unusually feisty.

New look, new coach, new uniforms.

Obviously, they were up against it vs. Bradshaw and company on this day, but they had their moments.

Swept Miami- a playoff team. Once in week 1, a real surprise. Then at the Orange Bowl in a classic letdown/trap game following the Dolphins' MNF epic at Houston.

And they beat the Broncos at Mile High Stadium (which ironically Pittsburgh followed suit at the end of '78).

The obvious takeaways from this game:

1. Bradshaw and Swann were dynamite

2. The Jets new uniforms were an upgrade IMO

3. Matt Robinson? Jeez, talk about a one-shot one-year guy.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

05-01-2018, 08:56 AM

Don't forget, there are bonus highlights from This Week in Pro Football on the left side of the game description. Don't blink, though; they last less than a minute!
Vaughn_Doofus
Special Teamer

08-03-2018, 02:40 AM

Yes, this was the 1st time they were 5-0, and still the only time. They ran off 7 wins to start 1978, and won their first 4 games in '79, and since then they haven't even been 4-0 to start a season.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-03-2018, 06:11 AM

(08-03-2018, 02:40 AM)Vaughn_Doofus Wrote: Yes, this was the 1st time they were 5-0, and still the only time.  They ran off 7 wins to start 1978, and won their first 4 games in '79, and since then they haven't even been 4-0 to start a season.

Man, that's a pretty remarkable stat (no 4-0 starts since '79) considering how successful the Steelers have been since then.  Pi_shocked
Steelhead70's
Special Teamer

01-17-2020, 08:20 AM

This game features not only Franco's only pass attempt (loosely defined) of his career, but Bradshaw is credited with the only receiving yard of his career. I did find it interesting in the middle of the second quarter, with plenty of time on the clock, the Steelers went on an 8 play drive, all passing, including Franco's wounded duck. No rushes just seemed un-Steeler like without the clock winding down.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-17-2020, 02:35 PM

(01-17-2020, 08:20 AM)Steelhead70 Wrote: This game features not only Franco's only pass attempt (loosely defined) of his career, but Bradshaw is credited with the only receiving yard of his career.  I did find it interesting in the middle of the second quarter, with plenty of time on the clock, the Steelers went on an 8 play drive, all passing, including Franco's wounded duck. No rushes just seemed un-Steeler like without the clock winding down.

Yeah, it was definitely unusual. I think they were just taking what the Jets were giving. NY was hellbent on stopping the run... which is a little surprising, because their secondary was their weakest link. To leave those guys in constant 1-on-1 coverage with Swann was insane.

That receiving yard for Bradshaw has to be a mistake on NFL Reference. I mean, how do you have a receiving yard without a catch? Alien
Steelhead70's
Special Teamer

01-18-2020, 08:55 AM

The lateral he took from Stallworth on the WR screen he ran to the middle of the field, and I'm not saying it made sense, but they gave Terry a receiving yard. Hook and ladder plays are recorded the same way.

...and I was remiss in mentioning that Swannie had a field day.

Yes, I live in the NFL seventies, when the ref signaled a TD, it was, and every solid hit wasn't flagged. Personally, I'm not into the QB being a privileged character. Mason and Duck made this season interesting, I've seen the Steelers miss the playoffs before, with Terry and Ben, and have survived it.

"Dad, can you really not hit the highest paid player on the field in the NFL?"
"Of course not, son. Don't be ridiculous. That would be stupid!"
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-19-2020, 01:01 AM

(01-18-2020, 08:55 AM)Steelhead70 Wrote: The lateral he took from Stallworth on the WR screen he ran to the middle of the field, and I'm not saying it made sense, but they gave Terry a receiving yard.  Hook and ladder plays are recorded the same way.

You just taught me something! After all these years, I never knew any of that. Strange and cool!  Thumbsup

(01-18-2020, 08:55 AM)Steelhead70 Wrote: ...and I was remiss in mentioning that Swannie had a field day.

Almost wasn't fair.  Pi_bigsmile

(01-18-2020, 08:55 AM)Steelhead70 Wrote: Yes, I live in the NFL seventies, when the ref signaled a TD, it was, and every solid hit wasn't flagged. Personally, I'm not into the QB being a privileged character.  Mason and Duck made this season interesting, I've seen the Steelers miss the playoffs before, with Terry and Ben, and have survived it.

I'm with you. 

I have always been a proponent of instant replay... until recently. The game delays, etc., I can deal with. But at the end of it, I expect the officials to actually get the call right. They can't even do that. Eyes  I've seen enough bogus reversals (and non-reversals), especially over the last few years, to render instant replay basically worthless. My confidence in the accuracy of a booth review is no higher than my confidence in the accuracy of the call on the field. That tells me the NFL has failed in implementing the rule. 

The introduction of review-able pass interference calls last year has made it even worse. You take an already wildly inconsistent judgement call and put it in the hands of someone else who may have a completely different, less strict or more strict interpretation of the rule... and it's a disaster. Nothing changes when it should, or things change when they shouldn't? Makes no sense. 

For the first time since the rule was introduced, I'd be completely fine if instant replay went away. It's too inconsistent. 

In my view, if instant replay is to remain part of the game, overruling the call on the field should be reserved for only the most obvious of mistakes. If you have to look and look and look in slow motion, a play should stand as called. 

But I digress...
Steelhead70's
Special Teamer

01-21-2020, 01:17 AM

Thanks, I'm glad it's not just me. You hit the nail on the head with "interpretation of the rule...", They always seem to have ambiguity.

The NFL is one of the largest businesses in the country (world?), they should be able to afford full time referees, a group that can Mon thru Fri watch every play of every game together during the season in order to develop some consistency of interpretation. Aw, who am I kidding, I'm a dreamer, I keep waiting for the Beatles to reunite, which has a better chance. Laugh

We did a little business with Gene Steratore's company once about 20 years ago. Nice guy! Never would have guessed he'd ruin so many pass receivers' Sundays in the fall and winter!