2017 NFL Draft Thread
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-29-2017, 02:48 PM

3 rounds in the books, 4 new Steelers.
I'd be lying my arse off if I said that I wasn't disappointed that we didn't move up in the 2nd to get Obi Melifonwu, but I can't complain too much with the haul thus far.
The Steelers appear to be targeting players of good character, work ethic, and grit.

The Smith-Schuster pick will be a pain point for much of Steeler Nation for a while, but it I feel it sends a clear message to Bryant.
James Conner wasn't projected by the "experts" until round 5 or 6, but it's REALLY hard to not love the guy's character.

Nate Peterman, Brad Kaaya, and Desmond King still on the board so we'll see what happens tomorrow!
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-29-2017, 05:35 PM

Nice one Martavis!  What An Idiot!

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 01:48 AM

I am of the opinion that Martavis was simply speaking the truth ... It was WRONG on many levels, but I can't tell you how many times I've blurted out the truth at inappropriate times ...

Big Grin Super Bowl or Bust !!! ... (I'm guessing "Bust") ... but hey ... 
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 03:06 AM

Tim Williams, to Baltimore. That pic if the kid turns it around will be the biggest steal in the draft. Silence from the STeelers. Should have grabbed him. Lawson goes to Cincy. HUGE deal. Derek Rivers to New England. UGH.. I'm telling you the Steelers are having bad draft folks. They have reached on almost every pick except for the corner in the 3rd. I just don't get this. Watt at one? Come on. One year guy playing at linebacker? He's not JJ. Get over it. Done with this now. I guess I'm being to negative
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 04:39 AM

All you need to know about this draft is Hoodie got just as good if not better edge rusher in the 3rd round (his first pick mind you) than Tomlin got in the first round. I like the WR in the 2nd, but we had way more pressing needs. Never heard of the CB we got in the 3rd and Connor probably would have been there in the 4th or 5th. Much better RBs were still on the board.

It seems to me Tomlin is always trying to prove he is the smartest guy in the room and in most cases he isn't.

This is a solid to poor draft so far and it could have been much, much better.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 04:42 AM

I beleive the draft is looking below average to poor so far for the Steelers. The pick of Dobbs makes little sense to me. If one thinks the team is on the cusp of winning another title with a HOF QB who may have 2-3 more good years drafting a " replacement" QB is confusing.

If I were the GM this year I would have traded up at least once if not twice to get players who might be able to contribute quickly. Maybe we got that in round one without a trade. Time will tell. But I have little confidence the team made moves to fix what appears to be their biggest weakness. I don't see how we have improved the defense enough to beat Brady.

I agree with Rollers. Our divisional opponents seem to be kicking butt in this draft and we are passive at best. The Steeler way has been successful since Noll but I just don't see the rationale so far this year. We seem to have focused on character and shunned players with a dramatic upside/questionable morals or track records. If most or all of those types fall by the wayside due to repeat offenses, we made the right moves. But I think, if we are to get #7, a flier on one of those boys who might be a difference maker was the better move this year.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 04:44 AM

Don't hold your breath for #7. The AFC opponents have made out quite well and we have not.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 05:30 AM

I already earned the very first STFU on the new board from Tim on this, just have to repeat it maybe earn a few more.

Should have traded picks, cash  and maybe even a player to get Richard Sherman.  He would make an immediate impact and has a few more seasons left on him.  Does anyone think Brady would have had such a field day with the Defensive Backs if he were in the equation?  Ben and the offense showed they could score on NE, but Boy Howdy NE showed they could score more on our crappy secondary.  Tomlin needs to fix things ASAP, not develop rookie players for several seasons before they, "might" be capable.  Ben will be retired by the time Tomlin's scheme materializes if ever.  Sometimes you have to go all in for a rare shot at the Super Bowl and put your long-term plans on hold.

I'm so frustrated because I really believe the Steelers are very close to a Lombardi skilled player wise with just a few obvious improvements which I don't believe have happened through this Draft.  I know, "The Steeler Way."  It works fine with smart and shrewd draft selections and oh yeah, something called, "ADDRESSING YOUR GREATEST NEED!!.", not treating it like your crazy uncle in the basement.

"Our Defensive Backfield Sucks, Really??  Huh, Never realized that. Wish you had 
said something before the draft.   It's OK though, snagged us a receiver named JuJu."
[Image: tomlin.jpg]

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 10:26 AM

Don't forget the impact that the Long Snapper will have on this team. That could be the piece that puts us over the top. With all the defensive talent in this draft HOW IN THE WORLD do you have a draft like this??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Two corners that will not see the field next year much. One will be on the practice squad since he's really a wide receiver playing corner but by God we nailed that long snapper we needed.
BlacknGoldHaze
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Outside of Watt and Conner, this was a huge fail!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 09:02 PM

well I've made my feelings known on the draft. I'm hoping the Steelers front office was a LOT smarter than me. Almost would have to be or we'd look like the Browns. I hope no one here hopes for bad things to happen to our Steelers simply to validate an opinion on the draft. I want to be dead wrong about this draft and I want the Steelers to win a super bowl next year. Just wanted to make sure no one here thinks I don't support the team. Time to put the negative comments away and get ready for training camp
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-01-2017, 12:46 AM

(04-30-2017, 09:02 PM)Rollers Wrote: well I've made my feelings known on the draft.  I'm hoping the Steelers front office was a LOT smarter than me.  Almost would have to be or we'd look like the Browns.  I hope no one here hopes for bad things to happen to our Steelers simply to validate an opinion on the draft.  I want to be dead wrong about this draft and I want the Steelers to win a super bowl next year.  Just wanted to make sure no one here thinks I don't support the team.  Time to put the negative comments away and get ready for training camp

Thumbsup

The season cannot get here soon enough, brutha Rollers!
Krunch
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 03:25 AM

(04-30-2017, 10:26 AM)Rollers Wrote: Don't forget the impact that the Long Snapper will have on this team.  That could be the piece that puts us over the top.  With all the defensive talent in this draft HOW IN THE WORLD do you have a draft like this???  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  Two corners that will not see the field next year much.  One will be on the practice squad since he's really a wide receiver playing corner but by God we nailed that long snapper we needed.

Great perspective rollers.  Says it all for me as well.

- Jack Lambert
Rollers
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 03:35 AM

(05-01-2017, 03:25 AM)Krunch Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 10:26 AM)Rollers Wrote: Don't forget the impact that the Long Snapper will have on this team.  That could be the piece that puts us over the top.  With all the defensive talent in this draft HOW IN THE WORLD do you have a draft like this???  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  Two corners that will not see the field next year much.  One will be on the practice squad since he's really a wide receiver playing corner but by God we nailed that long snapper we needed.

Great perspective rollers.  Says it all for me as well.

Yeah but I've been wrong before.  They laughed at Oakland for drafting kickers high and that turned out ok for them.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 07:12 AM

Remember the name Ju-Ju, my friends.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 07:48 AM

(04-30-2017, 10:46 AM)BlacknGoldHaze Wrote: Outside of Watt and Conner, this was a huge fail!

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1223...ers-to-nfl

Watt - genetic knee condition...............
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 09:38 AM

From the article, it sounds like what ever it was, was fixed. That said as a 64 year old with an 85 year old knee, good luck with that fella.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 09:41 AM

(05-01-2017, 12:46 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 09:02 PM)Rollers Wrote: well I've made my feelings known on the draft.  I'm hoping the Steelers front office was a LOT smarter than me.  Almost would have to be or we'd look like the Browns.  I hope no one here hopes for bad things to happen to our Steelers simply to validate an opinion on the draft.  I want to be dead wrong about this draft and I want the Steelers to win a super bowl next year.  Just wanted to make sure no one here thinks I don't support the team.  Time to put the negative comments away and get ready for training camp

Thumbsup

The season cannot get here soon enough, brutha Rollers!

If we stay healthy this year, there is going to be a lot of crow passed out around here. We may not be the best team out there at the moment, but this is the best team we've had in a long time. I would be very much surprised if we are not in the playoffs, and once there, anything can happen. Keep the faith.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 01:57 PM

With Cam back and possible shots of Harrison here and there, Add in a little Shazer coming up. Hopefully the Defense will come up? But our pass coverage is going to be Crapolo...
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 10:28 PM

(05-01-2017, 01:57 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: With Cam back and possible shots of Harrison here and there, Add in a little Shazer coming up. Hopefully the Defense will come up? But our pass coverage is going to be Crapolo...

The best defense is an offense that can keep the opposing offense sitting on the bench, while scoring touchdowns. Our offense should be about ball control, execution, and 3rd down efficiency, which is exactly what we didn't do playing the Patriots last year.  With the potential of this offense, our defense just has to be good enough. I will say this about our D last year, it was a whole lot more effective when we were up two scores than not. Look, I agree it's not likely to become the '76 Steeler D this year. That isn't going to happen ever again. It's been outlawed.

As for the draft...in most years, if we get a player or two making the team, one of which becomes a starter, it's a good draft. If the player is resigned when his rookie contract expires, it's a really good draft. I don't think that is too far beyond the realm of possibility with this class. Like Tim Mc said, way too early to tell what we have.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 10:36 PM

(05-01-2017, 09:41 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: If we stay healthy this year, there is going to be a lot of crow passed out around here. We may not be the best team out there at the moment, but this is the best team we've had in a long time. I would be very much surprised if we are not in the playoffs, and once there, anything can happen. Keep the faith.

The only trouble I see with your statement, DB, is the part about "once there (playoffs), anything can happen" ...

Last year we lost to New England in Pittsburgh in October. We also lost any chance of home field advantage with that loss ...

This year we have New England at home again ... Week 15 ... and circle this game right now as a MUST-WIN home game ... 

"So "anything" can happen, yes ... but you need to have New England outside of Foxboro to have a chance against them in the playoffs

Big Grin Super Bowl or Bust !!! ... (I'm guessing "Bust") ... but hey ... 
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-02-2017, 12:21 AM

Lake, there is a tremendous out cry from Steeler Nation for better defense. Truth be told, the best defense is not to let the other team have the ball. In order for this team to win, we need offensive execution. This mean controlling the clock, 3rd down efficiency, and scoring touchdowns. I'm firmly convinced if we are in the habit of puting up 14 points on our first two drives of a game, using 10-15 minutes doing so, you will see a dramatic turnaround defensively.

As for New England, and our forthcoming game being a referendum, it's just another regular season game, not of more import than any of the others. Sure, it's a midterm report, but that is all. You mentioned last years games, specifically the regular season game alluding to it costing us the season. Good grief, Landry Jones tossed a 73 QB rating at the Pats and you expected a win? Ben didn't fair much better in the AFLCG with a scintillating 83 rating, thanks to our substandard receiving corps, which you mentioned on another thread.

The truth is we have not executed our offense effectively for years against the Pats, with the exception of one game, for 20 years. Frankly, they are not exactly the 85 Bears defensively speaking. You think the D has a case of the yips vs New England, our O is lousy with them. Case in point, in the AFCCG, New England pitching us a shut out in 1st and 3rd quarter is inexcusable. With that level of support, how can you lay this defeat at the hands of the defense? It is unreasonable to expect better.

That said, you get up on these guys, and match their scoring, they will be forced to drop their unstoppable bread and butter short passing attack. Until that happens, forget about it. You can get all the linebackers, edge rushers, press corners, and safeties you want, you're not stopping that O. It's the offensive version of our 1976 defense. It's that good. The only way to stop it is not to let it on the field.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

05-02-2017, 06:35 AM

Rosey Nix is laughing...