We're going to fix it. No really, this time I mean it we're going to really fix it
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-11-2017, 09:12 PM

after the game Coach Tomlin gave his standard response.  We need to fix a few things and we will.  I'd rather him say we have no clue what's wrong with the defense and we're just rolling the dice every game hoping for the best.  The defensive backs are HORRIBLE.  I don't believe they can fix anything. I just think we have the worst group of DBs ever gathered together on one team.  They just can't play.  Unless the defensive scheme is to play 15 yards off the receivers all the time I have no clue.  I know I picked the Ravens to beat us by 18 last night.  And I was really pretty close to that until Ben put the team on his shoulders and had one of the best games ever.  Patriots?  Wow
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-11-2017, 09:54 PM

(12-11-2017, 09:12 PM)Rollers Wrote: after the game Coach Tomlin gave his standard response.  We need to fix a few things and we will.  I'd rather him say we have no clue what's wrong with the defense and we're just rolling the dice every game hoping for the best.  The defensive backs are HORRIBLE.  I don't believe they can fix anything. I just think we have the worst group of DBs ever gathered together on one team.  They just can't play.  Unless the defensive scheme is to play 15 yards off the receivers all the time I have no clue.  I know I picked the Ravens to beat us by 18 last night.  And I was really pretty close to that until Ben put the team on his shoulders and had one of the best games ever.  Patriots?  Wow

It no doubt the Pat’s O is better than the Ravens, I’m not so sure their D is. It’s looking like a shoot out coming up, but we all know what that means a low scoring game, with us pulling out a late victory.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-11-2017, 10:30 PM

(12-11-2017, 09:54 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:12 PM)Rollers Wrote: after the game Coach Tomlin gave his standard response.  We need to fix a few things and we will.  I'd rather him say we have no clue what's wrong with the defense and we're just rolling the dice every game hoping for the best.  The defensive backs are HORRIBLE.  I don't believe they can fix anything. I just think we have the worst group of DBs ever gathered together on one team.  They just can't play.  Unless the defensive scheme is to play 15 yards off the receivers all the time I have no clue.  I know I picked the Ravens to beat us by 18 last night.  And I was really pretty close to that until Ben put the team on his shoulders and had one of the best games ever.  Patriots?  Wow

It no doubt the Pat’s O is better than the Ravens, I’m not so sure their D is. It’s looking like a shoot out coming up, but we all know what that means a low scoring game, with us pulling out a late victory.

Our D backs are barely in the same zip code as the receivers.  Burns got victimized on  one of the absolute worst PI calls I've ever seen.  I think that call led to a score.  That officiating crew needs to be fired or never call an important game again.  They were horrendous.  But that doesn't excuse these guys from continually making the wrong reads on defense.  That speaks to the coordinator.  If these guys play like they did last night Brady will have 500 yards of passing.  We also can't stop the run now.  So I have no clue what is wrong with this defense.  We have a guy, Sean Spence, that wasn't even good enough to be picked up by the Browns starting at inside linebacker.  Signed right off the street and he's now starting.  Harrison bitched about wishing he had signed somewhere else and he was invisible.  So I guess next year we spend all our picks on D and hope to find something because we sure didn't find it yet..
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-11-2017, 10:43 PM

Well... we're 11-2. The team is BATTLE TESTED. I feel like any time we're in a close game, we're gonna win because we've been there, done that so often this season. These guys are truly 60 minutes men, perhaps more than any Steelers team I've seen. I'm amazed at what they've been able to accomplish. Yes, you could argue they're haven't played to their potential (although I think the offense has finally hit its stride). But damn... 11-2, guys! 

Pi_bigsmile Pi_sharpteeth Rockon
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-11-2017, 11:07 PM

Dilly-Dilly!

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-11-2017, 11:31 PM

(12-11-2017, 10:43 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Well... we're 11-2. The team is BATTLE TESTED. I feel like any time we're in a close game, we're gonna win because we've been there, done that so often this season. These guys are truly 60 minutes men, perhaps more than any Steelers team I've seen. I'm amazed at what they've been able to accomplish. Yes, you could argue they're haven't played to their potential (although I think the offense has finally hit its stride). But damn... 11-2, guys! 

I guess for me it's always looking ahead.  That may be unfair.  But this defense is NOT going to be "fixed' by the time we play the Pats   THAT'S the game I want them to win.  Without that we don't get home field.  I can't see us beating the Patriots.  Yes I picked Baltimore to win and for a lot of the 2nd half it looked like i Had a chance to be spot on.  Ben, AB, James, even McDonald, were phenomenal.  Bell was Bell.  But this defense seems to be falling completely apart.  No run support no way to stop the pass etc.  This could have been the year we challenged for a super bowl.  All I see at this point is an early exit.  The one hope I tthink we have is if they allow Ben to put this damn team on his shoulders and win it.  They did last night.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-11-2017, 11:40 PM

I'll take a 39-38 win over a 13-10 loss any day.

Keep in mind this defense has lost arguably its best 2 players. Haden will be back soon. That will help the secondary.

The Pats play tonight and then have a short week and travel to Pittsburgh. I'm not counting the Steelers out. Who have the Pats beaten recently. Arguably the Ravens were the hottest team in the NFL (until last night). Ben is hot.

Spence was on the couch last week and started last night. He will get better. I've seen teams like this go a long way. Battle tested.

Dilly-Dilly!

Next - Minkah, #39!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-11-2017, 11:51 PM

(12-11-2017, 11:40 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: I'll take a 39-38 win over a 13-10 loss any day.

Keep in mind this defense has lost arguably its best 2 players. Haden will be back soon. That will help the secondary.

The Pats play tonight and then have a short week and travel to Pittsburgh. I'm not counting the Steelers out. Who have the Pats beaten recently. Arguably the Ravens were the hottest team in the NFL (until last night). Ben is hot.

Spence was on the couch last week and started last night. He will get better. I've seen teams like this go a long way. Battle tested.

Dilly-Dilly!

ok.  With Shazier in there they weren't great.  Anything can happen,.  Our defensive coordinator HAS to step up and get these guys to cover someone.  We'll see how that goes against Brady.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 12:12 AM

(12-11-2017, 10:43 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Well... we're 11-2. The team is BATTLE TESTED. I feel like any time we're in a close game, we're gonna win because we've been there, done that so often this season. These guys are truly 60 minutes men, perhaps more than any Steelers team I've seen. I'm amazed at what they've been able to accomplish. Yes, you could argue they're haven't played to their potential (although I think the offense has finally hit its stride). But damn... 11-2, guys! 

It’s getting harder and harder with each victory to be the voice of doom. Even without Shazier, all of the warts in our secondary ( which has also been missing a rather important piece, Joe Haden BTW) this is without a doubt the best team we have fielded in 9 years. It truly amazes me how we are in agony over it.

Scapegoat # 1 ( if you can actually have a scapegoat when you are 11-2) Haley.

500 + yards and another come from behind victory in the closing moments against another really tough opponent. Say what you want about the Ravens, but they  aren’t exactly a bunch of singing nuns. I’ve posted before that players play and coaches coach, and the line to determine which is at fault through the course of a game when things don’t go well is hard to see. 

Yep, Haley does have some real head scratchers for sure, but even the best pitchers don’t always throw the ball over the plate, and catchers don’t always call for the best pitch. Managers don’t always have a fielder positioned exactly where the ball is going to be hit. 

Like it is with a baseball battery, the OC and the 11 on the field are a team within the team. what the last weeks have proven is that the system works, and last night, it operated extremely well.

What we know is regardless of what a defense throws at us, 3-4 4-3  ,  2 high, 8 in the box, is we will find away to move the ball. It may take a series or two to sort it out, even if the opposing D changes what they are doing, but eventually, we are going to get the job done. 

As this season has progressed, the first part of the season was about ironing out the kinks running the ball. 3rd quarter, the passing game. Now in the 4 quarter of the season, the passing attack is rocking and we can run the ball when needed.  What we know is this is a potent offense that is hard to defend. This didn’t happen  with players just putting on their uniforms and running onto the field. 

Of course not, there is a plan and process in place here that is not real apparent to get us to the Super Bowl. We get so upset about things like linemen on a pass route, which in a game may seem stupid, but that is no different than a throw away pitch often seen in baseball just to see something. Yep, there are throw away downs in football, and Haley obviously is not afraid to use them, which is very apparent, and understandably maddening.

I’m not calling this yet, but it’s looking more and more like there is going to be some major crow munching related to negative comments about Haley when this season is over.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 12:20 AM

The Ravens pitched 3 shut-outs this year. We hung 39 on them last night without Ju-Ju.

The Ravens hadn't allowed a 300-yard passer all season. Ben threw for over 500+ yards.

Spence was on the couch last week, he started last night. He needs to knock the rust off.

The defense was without Shazier and Haden. I'm not sure with Haden out they're not asking Depree to drop back into coverage more. Haden should be back in 2 weeks.

Yes, always room fro improvement, but I'm basking in 11-2 and AFC North Champions. This win almost ensures a 1st round bye in the play-offs and at least 1 home game.

Dilly-Dilly

Next - Minkah, #39!