Lake's Take ... A Referendum on Tomlin
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 03:54 AM

Lake's Take ... A Referendum on Tomlin

> This Sunday's HOME game versus the New England Patriots needs to be a referendum on Mike Tomlin ...

> If the Steelers can't beat New England on home turf in December, they surely WILL NOT beat them in January at Gillette Stadium ...

> The "elephant in the room" is NOT Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, or the New England Patriots! ... the "elephant in the room" is and has always been Mike Tomlin ...

> Mike Tomlin won his lone Super Bowl back in 2008 with Big Ben (age 26) in the prime of his career, and on the wings of a (mostly) Bill Cowher built championship caliber defense that had James Harrison (16 sacks) in the prime of HIS career ... It took a few miracles (Deebo's pick-6 and Ben-to-Holmes) in what amounted to the greatest Super Bowl ever (until Brady's comeback last season, that is) ... and lo-and-behold, who bailed out Mike Tomlin to get him that one and only championship ring? ... Ben and Deebo !!! ... the remnants ...

> That Lombardi Trophy winning 2008 Steelers team included Bruce Arians in coordination of the Steelers offense and Dick LeBeau in coordination of the Steelers defense. It was the last time the Pittsburgh Steelers hoisted the sticky trophy ...

> The seeds of Tomlin's tenure were already deeply sewn on that 2008 Steelers team ... with freshly drafted players like Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, Dennis Dixon,Tony Hills, Ryan Mundy, and Bruce Davis ...

> Tomlin went on from there and (rather badly) lost Super Bowl XLV in 2010, in what was evidenced to be a poorly prepared game plan, with the last remaining remnants of Bill Cowher's roster tenure ... Troy Polamalu, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Ike Taylor, James Harrison, Larry Foote and James Farrior, on defense ... Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Chris Kemoeatu and Max Starks left over from the Cowher era on offense ...

> Tomlin teams then reeled off four (4) straight seasons without playoff wins (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014) ... all with Big Ben in the PRIME of his career at quarterback and the aging Cowher defensive remnants (Troy, Ike, Brett, and Deebo) holding the ragged defense loosely together ... and those seasons included two 8-8 teams ... Those seasons were wrought with head scratching roster decisions (Chris Rainey, Leonard Pope, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Isaac Redman, Keenan Lewis, Felix Jones, Antwon Blake, LeGarrette Blount, Dri Archer, Cortez Allen, Brice McCain, B.W. Webb) ... and god-awful draft classes (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014), which offered up a few quality starters (Pouncey, DeCastro, Heyward) but left the team lacking in Pittsburgh Steeler quality depth and preparedness ... Yet Tomlin's rhetoric regarding "next man up" and "the standard is the standard" was pushed forward to the fans of Steelers Nation again and again ...

> All this time, the New England Patriots were reeling off division championships, home field playoff advantage, getting to conference championship games (6 straight), and three (3) Super Bowl appearances, winning two of them ...

> Last season (remember?), Tomlin's Steelers road into Kansas City in January and defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 18-16 in the AFC Divisional Round, on the toe of Chris Boswell, who needed to boot 6 field goals for the Steelers to survive that game ... Lest we forget, the Steelers frantic locker room act post-game included a Mike Tomlin rant about the New England Patriots that cut their team and their head coach to the quick, ALL BROADCAST LIVE STREAMING nationally, compliments of one Antonio Brown, who revealed to the world (finally) the truth of Tomlin's team's utter lack of discipline, character, and professionalism ... the rat was out of the bag, and the following week in New England, the Pittsburgh Steelers were utterly demoralized on the icy cold gridiron of Gillette Stadium ...

> I watched in absolute disgust as Big Ben Roethlisberger, post-game, announced to the world that Tom Brady is the G.O.A.T. ... Had Big Ben any semblance of a truly talented head coach inspiring his peak years of NFL play, it could have been, would have been, SHOULD HAVE been Tom Brady announcing to the world that Big Ben Roethlisberger is truly the G.O.A.T ...

> Here we are ... 2017 ... sitting 11-2 and on the precipice of gaining home field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs ... New England is heading into the confluence of the Three Rivers of Pittsburgh ... in December ... once considered the absolute necessity of a road win game required for any AFC team to find it's way into a chance at a Super Bowl ... Home field advantage throughout the playoffs is the reward of the day ...

> What, seriously, has Mike Tomlin done since January 2017's humiliating 36-17 loss at the hands of New England to prepare THIS Steelers team to defend these historical blades of Heinz Field grass? ...

> Here's your answer ... T.J. Watt ... Mike Hilton ... Tyson Alualu ... Joe Haden ... Coty Sensabaugh ... J.J. Wilcox ... Sean Spence ...

> No, New England is NOT the "elephant in the room" ... Mike Tomlin is the ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM !!!! ...

> THERE ARE NO MORE EXCUSES for not beating New England at home when the chips are on the table ... NONE !!! ... the time is now! ... and if the 2017 Pittsburgh Steelers can't rise to this occasion and beat the New England Patriots, then it's clearly time to ...

> FIRE MIKE TOMLIN !!!!

Big Grin Super Bowl or Bust !!! ... (I'm guessing "Bust") ... but hey ... 
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 04:05 AM by The Lakelander.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 04:50 AM

Thing is if he finishes 13-3 which is possible then it's almost impossible to make the leap to fire him. I don't disagree with you but if you think he's going to get canned for going 13 - 3 and making the playoffs then you're not thinking clearly and I know that doesn't describe you. At the minimum I'd like to see a new young defensive coordinator with new ideas come in here. Ben is gone after this year anyway. He's not coming back so we'll be looking at the beginning of the Landry era next year. THAT will cause some problems
for Tomlin. I am ambivalent about Tomlin. On one hand I can understand why he's still here. ON the other his teams lay down against some awfully bad teams. Kickoff coverage is now spotty, kick returning with bryant is a joke since he can't seem to move up to catch a ball. We'll see what happens but this team isn't beating new england anywhere on any field
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-12-2017, 05:25 AM

(12-12-2017, 03:54 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: > The "elephant in the room" is NOT Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, or the New England Patriots! ... the "elephant in the room" is and has always been Mike Tomlin ...

No... the elephant in the room is Tom Brady. A Tomlin-coached Steelers team beat the living f#@$ out of a Brady-less Patriots team in 2008.

It's Brady. 100%. He's the best that has ever played the most important position in the game and he elevates the entire team. It's not Belichick, who was Bill Cowher's whipping boy without Brady (a la Cleveland). Brady makes EVERY opponent look bad. He's that good. I hate to say it. I hate to admit it, because I am not and never will be a Brady fan. But he is a transcendent talent, the likes of which we will probably never see again.

And they got him in the 6th round, for cryin' out loud. The dumb luck of that (which is what is was) simply boggles the mind.  

There is no way Tomlin will be fired no matter what happens the rest of this season. We are 11-2 and just won our division with 3 games remaining. You may as well go out in the streets and shout for a "flat tax." It's not gonna happen. Tomlin is young and has AT LEAST ten more years left in Pittsburgh... maybe more. 

Welcome back, Lake. Better suck it up, my brutha. All that angst about something you are powerless to change is gonna eat you up.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-12-2017, 05:28 AM

(12-12-2017, 04:50 AM)Rollers Wrote: Thing is if he finishes 13-3 which is possible then it's almost impossible to make the leap to fire him.  I don't disagree with you but if you think he's going to get canned for going 13 - 3 and making the playoffs then you're not thinking clearly and I know that doesn't describe you.  At the minimum I'd like to see a new young defensive coordinator with new ideas come in here.  Ben is gone after this year anyway.  He's not coming back so we'll be looking at the beginning of the Landry era next year.  THAT will cause some problems
for Tomlin.  I am ambivalent about Tomlin.  On one hand I can understand why he's still here.  ON the other his teams lay down against some awfully bad teams.  Kickoff coverage is now spotty, kick returning with bryant is a joke since he can't seem to move up to catch a ball.  We'll see what happens but this team isn't beating new england anywhere on any field

New coordinators... now THAT I like the sound of. And a new special teams coach. 

Unless we win the Super Bowl... in which case it's DILLY, DILLY!

[Image: dilly_dilly.jpg]
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 06:53 AM

(12-12-2017, 05:25 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Welcome back, Lake. Better suck it up, my brutha. All that angst about something you are powerless to change is gonna eat you up.

Pi_nervous  No, it's not going to eat me up. I already OWN the reality that a Tomlin led Steelers team will never win another Lombardi ... that hard smack hit me upside the head back in 2008 (*see Steelers 2008 draft) ...

I'm the world's biggest Big Ben fan ... if the Steelers get to 13-3 (and they should) none of it is on Tomlin ... 100% of it is on Big Ben, who wins week-in and week-out in spite of Tomlin ... Who's it gonna eat up? ... it's gonna eat up the rest of Steelers Nation (especially all the Tomlin nuthuggers) as this team slips into the hard times coming ahead ...

I saw your comments on the defense last night Tim. I read through the game thread here. You acknowledge what I'm saying, clearly. Tomlin's defense sucks ...

Once again it will be a coordinator sacrificed to the Steelers Nation ... probably Keith Butler. Tomlin will get a pass. He always does ... and that won't eat me up. I've already accepted this team's fate under Tomlin. The yinzers keep coming back to the table, as things that once were important (home field advantage, playoff wins, Super Bowl trophies) have fast faded away, and things never remotely important to true Steelers fans (fantasy football trophies, league leading stats, team choreographed endzone dances) have taken precedent ... 

Tomlin is all rhetoric. There's no substance there. It's on Big Ben and it has ALWAYS been so ...

The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 07:00 AM

This Sunday's pending home loss against the Patriots NEEDS to be a referendum on Tomlin ... but the yinzers and Tomlin nuthuggers will find a way to blame ______________. (*Pick your poison: a tragic Shazier injury, a Antonio Brown sore toe, a Le'Veon quad injury, ill-preparedness on behalf of Sean Spence, a stupid locker room live video demo, the referees, Todd Haley's play calling, etc.) ...

RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 07:01 AM

I'll say it.  I hope in the first series either 97 or 90 plant #12 in the ground and break his clavicle.  

Put pressure on Brady.  A lot of it.  I don't care if his hits 5 consecutive 90 yard bombs in the 1st half.  Plant that pretty boy son-of-a-bitch and he gets twitchy.  

For all his 'transcendence' - he dances like a retarded ballerina if he's pressured.

Beat up the receivers on the line.  Let the LB's tell him exactly how they'd like to see Giselle get the full Brazilian treatment in the locker room afterwards.  

Play physical.  Play nasty.  

Rather than this Tomlin Cover-2, free zone bullshit and rushing 3 - beat the shit out of them.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 07:05 AM by RaynorShyne.)
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 07:03 AM

(12-12-2017, 07:01 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: I'll say it.  I hope in the first series either 97 or 90 plant #12 in the ground and break his clavicle.  

Put pressure on Brady.  A lot of it.  I don't care if his hits 5 consecutive 90 yard bombs in the 1st half.  Plant that pretty boy son-of-a-bitch and he gets twitchy.  

For all his 'transcendence' - he dances like a retarded ballerina if he's pressured.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

... like the pressure they put on that statue Flacco last night, right?

RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 07:06 AM

(12-12-2017, 07:03 AM)The Lakelander Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 07:01 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: I'll say it.  I hope in the first series either 97 or 90 plant #12 in the ground and break his clavicle.  

Laugh Laugh Laugh

DO NOT ARGUE MY EMOTION WITH LOGIC!!!   Just because it's accurate, and you're 100% correct DOES NOT make it right.     Dammit.

and come on.  We got a sack.   

58 minutes into the game....

The sun was in their eyes.  Geez.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 07:08 AM by RaynorShyne.)
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 07:10 AM

Haha ... the Heinz Field advantage shall prevail ... no doubt ...

The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 07:26 AM

The best commentary I heard from a Steelers faithful today suggested that Belichick will come in Sunday and win this game with a rather vanilla game plan.

It made perfect sense to me and it's what I'm looking for ... 

... better blocking ... win the battle of the trenches ... execute ... minimize penalties ... take away the football ...  find some unassuming TD pass to a lesser known RB or 3rd tier TE at a key moment ... controlled emotion ... and yes they will be spiking the football meaningfully in the face of Steelers Nation in one Heinz Field end zone or another ... 

Tomlin will be made a fool of AGAIN on live TV as most of the football nation watches in amazement ... and the yinzers and Tomlin nuthuggers will shrug it off next Monday morning as just a no-meaning regular season game and in hopes of some sort of newfound playoff inspiration to follow ... only to see it all play out in January again ... in New England ... for the real marbles ...

dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 08:14 AM

(12-12-2017, 07:03 AM)The Lakelander Wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh

If I’m not mistaken, the last play of the game was a sack...just saying.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 08:28 AM

(12-12-2017, 07:26 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: The best commentary I heard from a Steelers faithful today suggested that Belichick will come in Sunday and win this game with a rather vanilla game plan.

It made perfect sense to me and it's what I'm looking for ... 

... better blocking ... win the battle of the trenches ... execute ... minimize penalties ... take away the football ...  find some unassuming TD pass to a lesser known RB or 3rd tier TE at a key moment ... controlled emotion ... and yes they will be spiking the football meaningfully in the face of Steelers Nation in one Heinz Field end zone or another ... 

Tomlin will be made a fool of AGAIN on live TV as most of the football nation watches in amazement ... and the yinzers and Tomlin nuthuggers will shrug it off next Monday morning as just a no-meaning regular season game and in hopes of some sort of newfound playoff inspiration to follow ... only to see it all play out in January again ... in New England ... for the real marbles ...

I have a question, with all this bluster, what’s you got on the line if we tear the Pats a new one? How about if we win the Super Bowl? I’m curious. 

That Raven team we played last night is no joke, and we just put 500 yards and 31 points on a defense that shut out the best offensive team in the NFL, the Rams, just a couple of weeks ago. The Patriot defense in not in the same class as the Ravens. Not even close. 

The deal with beating the the Pats is not to go down early. If we are up 2 scores or more on them early, and we have been surprisingly effective on our opening drives the last month or so, we will win this game. 

Yes, our D has issues, but so do the Pats. This is not the Patriot defenses of the oughts. Rest assured, we will be scoring our share of points.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 09:16 AM

Not sure you are paying close enough attention DB?

Look at the past 3 weeks ...

Steelers defense ranked 30th in points allowed ... New England defense ranked 1st ...

Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 10:25 AM

Its no secrete our defensive backs suck! We cant even make adjustments after halftime. The only way we can win this week (Which will be hard) is to throttle the offense. The minute we start going 3 and out with the Pats,
it will be over. Steelers must score on almost every drive. and not with 3 points int he red zone! Can not play catch up with the cheaters >
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 12:58 PM

watching Miami tonight Their corners are actually covering someone. They are pressing the receivers and putting pressure on Brady. Our blitzes rarely touch anyone. It seems no matter what blitz we call there's someone waiting to pick it up. Tonight Miami is pressing with their corners and getting to Brady. Us? Our corners will dutifully be 10 yards off the receivers hoping to make a tackle after the catch which they fail at about half the time. Brady has had a rough first half and the dolphins are flying around on defense. I can't believe we can't play just a little like that. One sack against Flacco. One. count it one. ugh
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 01:15 PM

(12-12-2017, 09:16 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: Not sure you are paying close enough attention DB?

Steelers defense ranked 30th in points allowed ... New England defense ranked 1st ...

Who gives a rip. You do realize the only thing that count are the wins in losses during the Regular Season?

By the way, how are those scary Patriots looking tonight???
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 01:29 PM by dbsfgyd1.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 01:16 PM

(12-12-2017, 01:15 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 09:16 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: Not sure you are paying close enough attention DB?

Do you realize the only thing is the wins in losses during the Regular Season? Who gives a rip? 

Looks like their corners are actually covering someone
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 01:30 PM

(12-12-2017, 01:16 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 01:15 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:

Do you realize the only thing is the wins in losses during the Regular Season? Who gives a rip? 

Looks like their corners are actually covering someone
Well, #25 Howard is having a pro bowl performance
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 02:44 PM

(12-12-2017, 12:58 PM)Rollers Wrote: watching Miami tonight    Their corners are actually covering someone.  They are pressing the receivers and putting pressure on Brady.  Our blitzes rarely touch anyone.  It seems no matter what blitz we call there's someone waiting to pick it up.  Tonight Miami is pressing with their corners and getting to Brady.  Us?  Our corners will dutifully be 10 yards off the receivers hoping to make a tackle after the catch which they fail at about half the time.  Brady has had a rough first half and the dolphins are flying around on defense.  I can't believe we can't play just a little like that.  One sack against Flacco.  One.  count it   one.  ugh

BOOM !!!

The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Hey DB ... after watching New England tonight, wouldn't you AGREE this home game this Sunday evening OUGHT TO BE a referendum on Tomin? 

What's his excuse at this point? 

He's got the top WR in football ...

He's got the top RB in football ...

He's got legitimately one of the BEST QB's to EVER play this game STILL playing prime time football ... 

He's got one of the most veteran and cohesive offensive lines in football ...

He's got a viable defensive front three ...

He's got HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE in December with a SIGNIFICANTLY HUNGRY HOME CROWD ...

Tomlin seems to have EVERY ADVANTAGE !!! 

NO EXCUSES, PAL !!!  Wavehello

Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 03:45 PM

Next weeks game will be interesting for sure. I friggen hope the Steelers get their head out of there ass and play man to man Def... Gronk will kill us with the Zone- D.

I haven't really figured out why Tomlin continues this massacre D against the patsies. It never works! You have to jam the receivers at the line. DO NOT GIVE BRADY TIME! the giants have proved this theory.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 10:01 PM

(12-12-2017, 03:45 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: Next weeks game will be interesting for sure. I friggen hope the Steelers get their head out of there ass and play man to man Def... Gronk will kill us with the Zone- D.

I haven't really figured out why Tomlin continues this massacre D against the patsies. It never works! You have to jam the receivers at the line. DO NOT GIVE BRADY TIME! the giants have proved this theory.

you can forget it.  When you play press defense it gives you the oppurtunity to pressure the QB and stop the run  You can have more guys dedicated to that since they're not all back floating around in a zone while watching the receivers find that "soft spot" in the zone.  Miami only started giving up huge amounts of yardage when they fell off into that cover 2 zone.  Brady had his way with that zone.  We'll be in some type of soft zone from the beginning of the game.  Not saying press will work for us since Miami has so much more talent on D than we do right?  I'm beginning to see the point Lake is making.  Miami showed the way no?  I guess we just don't have the corners that cover anyone like that.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-12-2017, 10:23 PM

(12-12-2017, 02:51 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: Hey DB ... after watching New England tonight, wouldn't you AGREE this home game this Sunday evening OUGHT TO BE a referendum on Tomin? 

What's his excuse at this point? 

He's got the top WR in football ...

He's got the top RB in football ...

He's got legitimately one of the BEST QB's to EVER play this game STILL playing prime time football ... 

He's got one of the most veteran and cohesive offensive lines in football ...

He's got a viable defensive front three ...

He's got HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE in December with a SIGNIFICANTLY HUNGRY HOME CROWD ...

Tomlin seems to have EVERY ADVANTAGE !!! 

It’s one game in a long season, hardly a referendum. Now, losing to them in the playoffs with this team AGAIN, you can say that.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-13-2017, 10:56 AM

(12-12-2017, 02:51 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: Tomlin seems to have EVERY ADVANTAGE !!! 

I kinda feel sorry for you, Lake. You're so heavily entrenched in your anti-Tomlin line of thought that I suspect you'll actually be bummed if we win.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-13-2017, 12:13 PM

(12-13-2017, 10:56 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 02:51 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: Tomlin seems to have EVERY ADVANTAGE !!! 

I kinda feel sorry for you, Lake. You're so heavily entrenched in your anti-Tomlin line of thought that I suspect you'll actually be bummed if we win.

Truth be told I'm kinda tired of Tomlin as well.  I guess if making the playoffs or being competitive is your goal he's your guy.  If he has control of who his coordinators are then he needs a new defensive coordinator    tomorrow
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-13-2017, 02:22 PM

32 teams in the league each with the same goal, a draft that favors the downtrodden and here we are with the best record we’ve had since 2004, and our coach isn’t good enough... sheesh.

They should be Cleveland fans. That way they can get a new coach every year to hate. An unlimited supply.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-13-2017, 10:25 PM

(12-13-2017, 02:22 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:

32 teams in the league each with the same goal, a draft that favors the downtrodden and here we are with the best record we’ve had since 2004, and our coach isn’t good enough... sheesh.

They should be Cleveland fans. That way they can get a new coach every year to hate. An unlimited supply.
First it's not about hating a coach.  It's about winning a superbowl.  The Steelers aren't cleveland and are NOT judged on the same basis of results as Cleveland or any other crappy organization in the NFL.  See this is the part I don't get.  We're happy getting close.  We're happy having a winning season.  It's all good.  Have to get to the playoffs to compete for a superbowl.  It's about the talent you have on your team and is that talent being utilitzed to the best of it's ability. THAT'S the standard.  And by that standard we certainly aren't performing like we need to.  I don't know how else to explain it.  It looks like the offense has finally come around.  So I guess we can try and outscore everyone we play?  The standard is winning a super bowl.  Just like all the teams.  We are pissing away Ben's career.  What if he retires this year?  Who is going to play QB next year?  Landry?  I want you to picture this defense with Landry at QB.  That's where we are if Ben hangs it up and I think there's every chance he will.  I think he's had enough.  One more great year to go out on and we can congratulate ourselves on making the playoffs.  db it's about super bowls when your the Steelers.  Not the regular season not the record it's about winning the big one.  When was the last time that happened?  I would be happy with a losing record if we were in the midst of rebuilding.  Point of fact we've found some pretty good players drafting in a draft that favors the downtrodden.  The draft actually favors those that can evaluate talent that fit their scheme at the point they are drafting.  If the draft favored the downtrodden the Browns would be undefeated.  I agree with what Lake has said.  NO EXCUSES this year.  Great record. We could actually have home field advantage all the way through the playoffs and this defense scares the hell out of me.  Now Shazier is gone?  NO EXCUSES this year.  What's wrong with expecting a super bowl this year?  In my opinion Tomlin has sat on his hands watching the special teams fail, watching the defense fail.  Why?  Just think about that scenario I put forward.  No Ben next year, Landry at QB and this defense on the field.  That should scare any of us.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-14-2017, 12:33 AM

(12-13-2017, 10:25 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 02:22 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:

First it's not about hating a coach.  It's about winning a superbowl.  The Steelers aren't cleveland and are NOT judged on the same basis of results as Cleveland or any other crappy organization in the NFL.  See this is the part I don't get.  We're happy getting close.  We're happy having a winning season.  It's all good.  Have to get to the playoffs to compete for a superbowl.  It's about the talent you have on your team and is that talent being utilitzed to the best of it's ability. THAT'S the standard.  And by that standard we certainly aren't performing like we need to.  I don't know how else to explain it.  It looks like the offense has finally come around.  So I guess we can try and outscore everyone we play?  The standard is winning a super bowl.  Just like all the teams.  We are pissing away Ben's career.  What if he retires this year?  Who is going to play QB next year?  Landry?  I want you to picture this defense with Landry at QB.  That's where we are if Ben hangs it up and I think there's every chance he will.  I think he's had enough.  One more great year to go out on and we can congratulate ourselves on making the playoffs.  db it's about super bowls when your the Steelers.  Not the regular season not the record it's about winning the big one.  When was the last time that happened?  I would be happy with a losing record if we were in the midst of rebuilding.  Point of fact we've found some pretty good players drafting in a draft that favors the downtrodden.  The draft actually favors those that can evaluate talent that fit their scheme at the point they are drafting.  If the draft favored the downtrodden the Browns would be undefeated.  I agree with what Lake has said.  NO EXCUSES this year.  Great record. We could actually have home field advantage all the way through the playoffs and this defense scares the hell out of me.  Now Shazier is gone?  NO EXCUSES this year.  What's wrong with expecting a super bowl this year?  In my opinion Tomlin has sat on his hands watching the special teams fail, watching the defense fail.  Why?  Just think about that scenario I put forward.  No Ben next year, Landry at QB and this defense on the field.  That should scare any of us.
Well, if winning the Super Bowl is the only basis for determining if your coach is worth a crap,  based on this logic there should be 31 unemployed coaches every February.

As for the Browns, the difference isn’t talent, all teams have talent. The difference is the quality of player development and systems in place. And how does that happen pray tell? Sounds to me like we got a pretty good coaching staff, or we would have a record like the Browns.