Lake's Take ... A Referendum on Tomlin
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 03:10 AM

(12-16-2017, 10:43 PM)SteelThePain82 Wrote: Crash,
I'm on board with you on Haley, but then what's Keith Butler's excuse for this defense?

As others have stated, they don't wrap up tackle worth a $hit.
Burns and Davis haven't progressed.
The secondary in general is awful!
Whomever evaluated and continues to see Mike "Late Hit" Mitchell as a starting Safety should be fired IMHO!
Bud Dupree has NOT progressed.
The inside linebackers (now without Shazier) look like a HUGE liability for the rest of the year!

Haley, Butler, Lake, Porter, Olsavsky...

The ONLY coaches on this team that appear to be worth their weight in salt are:

Mike Munchak - OL Coach
John Mitchell - DL Coach
and
Richard Mann - WR Coach (who is retiring at the end of this year)
Excuse? Try losing 2 of your best defenders, coupled with a safety playing on a bum wheel. Of course this is the coaching staffs fault. My be you lend them a magic wand and make everything better.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 03:26 AM

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-c...1712170063

Front-running the facade !!! The Tomlin apologists are all throughout the Steelers media. They've got his ass covered whether he wins or loses tomorrow. And the yinzers will be, MUST BE, appeased with Tomlin being second best. 

I'm laughing at it all ... why? ... because I see it for what it is. Open your eyes too. Maybe you'll see it. 

Take Ron Cook's front-running article today as exhibit #1 ... Why is Cook hitting on this subject today? ... softening the blow with this piece, maybe? ... 

Lol

Second best! LMFAO. Cook says it himself. How pathetic. It's a second-place trophy right here. A participation trophy. 

What a joke!

Big Grin Super Bowl or Bust !!! ... (I'm guessing "Bust") ... but hey ... 
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 03:49 AM

(12-17-2017, 03:10 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Excuse? Try losing 2 of your best defenders, coupled with a safety playing on a bum wheel. Of course this is the coaching staffs fault. My be you lend them a magic wand and make everything better.

DB, please don't use this argument ... every team has injuries to key players at this stage of the season ...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t...e/2017.htm

New England is missing Edelman, Hightower, McClellan, Branch, Rivers and Jones, among others ....

Crash
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 04:24 AM

Mooch is a boob. He's basically on the air because his hair looks good. LOL
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:Second best! LMFAO. Cook says it himself. How pathetic. It's a second-place trophy right here. A participation trophy. 

What a joke!

So you think Tomlin being called the "second best coach" in the NFL because BB has five rings, and the second best coach in Steelers history because Noll has four rings is a "participation trophy"?

If Cook came out and said Tomlin right now was better than Noll and BB you'd be bitching about that also. 

Quote:The Tomlin nuthuggers are gonna conniption when their coach suffers his first 4-12 season ...

A 4-12 season for the first time in a 12 year career?  Not that unexpected.  Age, cap issues, it happens.  

Like I said, do YOU WANT Todd Haley as head coach?

Because he's "next up" IMO.  
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 04:51 AM

(12-17-2017, 04:34 AM)Crash Wrote: Because he's "next up" IMO.  

Haley? Naw. He's the next sacrificial lamb ... like Arians and LeBeau before him. It'll be Haley or Butler saddled with the blame this season. Or Shazier's injury.

As Chucktown would say ... Book it! 

The yinzers and the nuthuggers can never hold Tomlin accountable for the Steelers shortcomings. Shortcomings? But ... but ... 13-3 ... never a losing season ... It's all right within these very pages actually ... paraphrased: "new coordinator? That would be a welcome thing" ...

Meanwhile Big Ben's peak seasons have passed the city by under Tomlin's watch ... and getting close is now the moral victory du jour ... 

If you don't think all this isn't weighing on Ben, dig deeper ... winning championships (or falling just short) takes it's toll. Ben has had more than enough sacrifice by now ...   

Mooch is probably right.

Crash
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:Meanwhile Big Ben's peak seasons have passed the city by under Tomlin's watch ... and getting close is now the moral victory du jour ...

All because Art Rooney II WENT AGAINST his head coach and hired Todd Haley himself.

Tomlin didn't want Haley. And only Art II can fire him.

Quote:If you don't think all this isn't weighing on Ben, dig deeper ... winning championships (or falling just short) takes it's toll. Ben has had more than enough sacrifice by now ...

I agree. Ben also wants nothing to do with Haley.

And Art II won't fire him.

If they don't win the AFC this season and Haley goes? Ben will not retire.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 07:38 AM

Just tired of the Steelers getting close and never being able to close the deal lately. Struggling against teams that suck and being told it's normal. 3 point win against the dog ass Browns. 3 Points against Indy. Baltimore puts up 38 against us in our own house. I am pleased we are 11 - 2. Couldn't be happier with the record. But i don't think we get it done Sunday. So I guess I'm just stupid for expecting this team to win. Dupree has dissappeared. I didn't know he was hurt. I don't think Haden plays this week or if he does he'll go down early again. So we need to outscore folks going forward. No room for error. None. One bad drive could seal the deal. Should be fun football anyway. Would be nice to see us throw on our first play from scrimmage Sunday and it would be nice if all of our skill players are on the field.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2017, 07:47 AM by Rollers.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-17-2017, 07:51 AM

(12-17-2017, 04:24 AM)Crash Wrote: Mooch is a boob. 

Laugh
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-17-2017, 07:10 PM

We throw on our first series sometimes, then it's Haley bringing his pet Nix in the game early only to see him sit most of the night.

Nix has only had 25 snaps the past month, and the offense has scored 133 points in 16 quarters for a 33 points per game average.

Just leave the talent/speed on the field and get out of Ben's way.

The #1 seed doesn't matter to me as long as #2 we get.

I'll take my chances with Ben, Bell, James, and three wides in any stadium as long as Haley stays out of their way.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 04:16 AM

(12-16-2017, 12:47 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: ... and if Tomlin should happen to win the Super Bowl this year, my first words will be "he really had to ... he had no excuses not to" ...

Which is EXACTLY what Tomlin told Dungy, much to the consternation of Steeler Nation.

Mark here’s the deal,  Tomlin won first Super Bowl, but it doesn’t count cause he did it with “Cowhers Players”, he loses his second one bringing an aging defense and pop gun offense that totally sucked to the affair, and shouldn’t have made it that far in the first place,  but of course that all his fault. He spent the next 5 years building a multi year super bowl contender, with no losing seasons, and what does he get for his trouble? If he wins this one, it only happened because of Ben Bell, and Brown, and in spite of him. 

Tell me man, just how myopic can you get. And if you get your wish,   I would be thrilled  for him to leave behind  fans that wouldn't know what good coach is if it came up and bite them in the *ss.  But hey, BA may be available.....
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 05:28 AM

Myopic?  Laugh Laugh Laugh

WTF are you talking about? It's the nuthuggers that are myopic. They are satisfied with having 9 straight seasons with Big Ben in his prime with no Super Bowl trophies ...

I'm one of the visionaries, DB ... I think Ben could have beat Brady to a PULP during those years if only he had a REAL head coach managing the team around him. 90% of Tomlin's wins are the DIRECT result of Big Ben carrying the Steelers ... 

Myopic ...  Lol Lol Lol

Nuthuggers can't get past the FACT that the Steelers wins are on Big Ben and NOT on Tomlin ...

The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 10:28 AM

Talk to me DB ... how do the Steelers NOT double cover Gronk late in this game ??? WHO the hell else was a threat ???

Crash
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 10:35 AM

(12-18-2017, 10:28 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: Talk to me DB ... how do the Steelers NOT double cover Gronk late in this game ??? WHO the hell else was a threat ???

Butler and Haley are fucking losers.  Haley's infatuation with Roosevelt Nix and his two two tight end garbage ruined the second to last drive.  

Eli was also grabbed on the final pass.  No flag.  

I expect no bye week now.  This team may implode.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Can't reiterate the importance of this game ... the "gambler" Tomlin rolled the dice and lost at the end ... no home field advantage ... back to New England in January (IF they are somehow lucky) ... my hunch is Tomlin will blow it and not get them there ...

Steelers lost all the advantages from here ... AND they've lost some KEY players too ... 

Who gets the blame? ... Big Ben? ... injury to AB? ... Haley? ... Butler? ... the Refs? ... anybody but Teflon Tomlin, for sure ...

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2017, 10:53 AM by The Lakelander.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 11:10 AM

I just don't understand how you don't double cover Gronk.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 11:18 AM

(12-18-2017, 11:10 AM)Rollers Wrote: I just don't understand how you don't double cover Gronk.

Aren't you watching?

Krunch
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Last I checked Tomlin is responsible for all his coordinators. Tomlin carried Arian's one or two seasons too many, Labeau same story. It alway seems to take the Team President to force change under Tomlin's tenure. Leadership vacuum is his calling card. A, "Player's Coach" what does that mean? Being a friend and watching other coaches win Lombardi's? Steeler's Heritage says YES you should expect Championships, not a good run and start all over again next season. As for this NE Game, I am not watching a down of NFL Football in 2017 so am glad I did not have to sit through the same old same old. How many more season's before fans who accept non-championship seasons will expect a Championship, 3, 5, 12?? I don't get this outlook, never have.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 11:56 AM

It gets better, Ben just said he wanted to spike the ball, and was told by Todd Haley to run a play.  

The play they ran, he and Eli basically came up with it on the fly.  

So once again, in a big moment, Todd Haley made it all about HIM. Rather than do the smart thing for the TEAM.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2017, 11:58 AM by Crash.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 11:58 AM

(12-18-2017, 11:56 AM)Crash Wrote: It gets better, Ben just said he wanted to spike the ball, and was told by Todd Haley to run a play.  

The play they ran, he and Eli basically came up with it on the fly.  

So once again, in a big moment, Todd Haley made it all about HIM. Rather than do the smart thing for the TEAM.

sounds like Ben screwed it up? Never mind I read it wrong
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2017, 11:59 AM by Rollers.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 01:16 PM

Tomlin didn't hire Haley or fire Arians.

Talk to Art II.

LeBeau's overrated reputation ruined Ben's prime.

Now Butler, running the same overrated bullshit scheme, is burying what's left of Ben's career.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 01:21 PM

1. Ben didn't screw it up. He wanted to clock it.
2. He said as much.
3. The real culprit gets a free pass anyways, so what does it matter?
4. Should have never come down to that ... 8 point lead late into game ... 
5. Buh Bye Ben ... off-seasons are getting harder and harder to motivate ...

Crash
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 02:02 PM

Hey but Haley used his fullback and extra OT playing tight end with the game on the line!

Yay Todd!
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-18-2017, 02:26 PM

As odd as this sounds? Butler looks more out to lunch as a coordinator than Haley does despite his playing experience.

Should have hired Wade Phillips when they had the chance. Twice.
Matthew Simon
Special Teamer

12-19-2017, 01:12 PM

(12-12-2017, 05:25 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: It's Brady. 100%. He's the best that has ever played the most important position in the game and he elevates the entire team. It's not Belichick, who was Bill Cowher's whipping boy without Brady (a la Cleveland). Brady makes EVERY opponent look bad. He's that good. I hate to say it. I hate to admit it, because I am not and never will be a Brady fan. But he is a transcendent talent, the likes of which we will probably never see again.

And they got him in the 6th round, for cryin' out loud. The dumb luck of that (which is what is was) simply boggles the mind. 

Huh, I always felt that Joe Montana was the best quarterback ever, Not just for the 49ers, but for the one year with the Chiefs in 1993 (I know he played two year for the Chiefs, but I remember the '93 Season). Another thing bolstering my case is that Joe Montana never lost a Super Bowl, Brady lost two.

Two other things of note: Montana had the Steelers on the short list on teams he wanted to be traded to; but the Steelers said: "No, we're good with Neil O'Donnell." We all know how well that turned out.

The Steelers had a chance to draft Brady in the fifth round, they instead took Tee Martin.
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Dan Marino wanted to go there in 1988 or so when Shula was trying to trade him and then Dan Rooney said they were going with Bubby.

Rooney did offer Dallas Dwayne Woodruff and a draft pick for Tony Dorsett in 1988 and Dallas turned him down.

Cowher was interested in Marino in 2000 and Marino said no.  Jeff Garcia had a tryout scheduled before he went to the 49ers, but a snow storm wiped it out and they never rescheduled.  

Trent Dilfer wanted to sign there in 2001 with one condition, he wanted to compete with Kordell for the #1 job, Cowher said it was Kordell's.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2017, 04:00 PM by Crash.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-19-2017, 10:00 PM

my fear is now that this team implodes. Ben griping about the coaching. Infighting is never good. Two crap teams left and I don't know if we beat ether of them.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-21-2017, 01:28 AM

Mike Tomlin's Tuesday Press Conference

Q: How did Mike Mitchell and Sean Spence grade out? ...

MT: "You know, I'm not getting in to that. That's our business and not yours" ... 

It's a simple question. How did they grade out? Against Brady! It's an important question considering Gronk owned the middle of the football in the 2nd Half. Tomlin doesn't want to address the question here. Why? Because the answer is a DIRECT reflection on Tomlin's lousy rotten "schematics" ... the same "schematics" he touts and boasts with pumped chest just ONE question before this ... 

Tomlin is a complete and total FRAUD people. He's got the entire Steelers Nation bedazzled with his coach-speak after every lousy rotten underperformance by his team ...

Lose home field advantage for the playoffs? ... No worries. Come out of Tomlin's weekly presser with absolutely ZERO answers and ZERO head coach accountability ... on to next week ... Lose in the playoffs? ... No worries. Come out of Tomlin's season ending presser believing the team fell short of its goal and that somehow the pieces will be in place NEXT year to overcome the adversity ...

On and on ... Tomlin fails ... yet no accountability; no fan ire. Why? ... Yinzers and Nuthuggers "He's never had a losing season" ... 

Mike Tomlin is playing for the Participation Trophy, people ... !!! Meanwhile New England is rambling off Lombardi after Lombardi in grand style ... Get a spine and start demanding change !!!

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 01:30 AM by The Lakelander.)
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-21-2017, 01:35 AM

First question should have been: ... "Mike, you are standing here in front of this room a loser to New England once again. You just lost home field advantage in the playoffs. Your team played well enough to win. Who's to blame? " ...

Crash
Hall of Famer

12-21-2017, 03:43 AM

Again, if you don't think fans jump on Tomlin's case you don't read other message boards or social media.

Todd Haley's the one who gets the lifetime free pass.

Steelers win = Haley's a genius.

Steelers lose = Tomlin should be fired and Ben's a rapist.

After every damn loss.