Lake's Take ... A Referendum on Tomlin
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-21-2017, 11:55 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/wat...-patriots/

Crash, I hate saying this but you need to wake up. 

Watch the video link above and tell me the decision to NOT spike the football is anybody but Tomlin's decision. In the video Tomlin is clearly SCREAMING in Haley's ear what to do ... What a total and complete FAILURE of a coach !!! 

He gets a free pass every year from the nuthuggers and yinzers who believe Tomlin is a good head coach.

I'm sick of this FRAUD !!!

Big Grin Super Bowl or Bust !!! ... (I'm guessing "Bust") ... but hey ... 
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 11:56 PM by The Lakelander.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-22-2017, 01:23 AM

(12-21-2017, 11:55 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: Watch the video link above and tell me the decision to NOT spike the football is anybody but Tomlin's decision. In the video Tomlin is clearly SCREAMING in Haley's ear what to do ... What a total and complete FAILURE of a coach !!! 

He gets a free pass every year from the nuthuggers and yinzers who believe Tomlin is a good head coach.

I'm sick of this FRAUD !!!

Jeez, STFU, Lake.  Laugh The season didn't end last Sunday.  Eyes And if not for an improper application (IMO) of the worst rule in the book, we win.

Multiple things went wrong at the end in a pressure situation. It happens to every coach, every team. There was this one time, when GOAT Belichick decided to go for it on 4th & 1 vs the Colts. And then there was other time when GOAT Belichick was up 21-3 in the AFC Championship game... and LOST.

The time out was used prematurely because the ref thought Ben was calling time out instead of merely asking Tomlin "if" he should call time out. Personally, I thought using the time out was the right decision anyway. Spiking the ball there costs you a down in a goal-to-go situation, and in my opinion, you never waste a down in the red zone if you can help it.

H-Bey failing to get out of bounds was the catalyst. That play was huge. I don't understand the personnel grouping in that situation. Some of our best talent was on the sideline and failing to stop the clock was massive. 

Regarding the 3rd down play, I like the coaching decision to be aggressive and take a shot instead of spiking it and conceding overtime. Unfortunately, the communication after H-Bey's catch wasn't good. Ben had already told the team he was going to clock it based on his feel for the situation when the coaches tell him not to clock it. Tick, tick, tick, what do you do? So Ben made a choice and just went for it. Unfortunately, he forced it instead of throwing it away when nothing was there. But I like the aggressiveness from Ben, too. We got a bad bounce, so in hindsight, I obviously wish Ben had just sailed it out of the end zone so we could tie the game and see what happens. But I do NOT lament the fact that we were aggressive in that situation.

What bothers me most isn't what happened on offense at the end; it's the complete breakdown on defense. It's allowing Gronk to catch 3 passes for 69 yds vs Davis and then catch the 2-point conversion. Why would we allow that? HOW could we allow that? That's my beef with Tomlin and Butler, it's that drive. WTF was the thought process as they watched Davis get victimized again and again and again?

Giving up the TD was bad enough. But if we don't give up the stinkin' 2-point conversion, we're in position to win on a FG and Ben never forces that fateful pass into the end zone. 

Time to beat the F--- out of the Texans.  Pi_supermad
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 01:59 AM

Tim, you just detailed FAILURES on both offense and defense at the end of a football game:

> time out used prematurely
> failing to get out of bounds
> the personnel grouping; some of our best talent was on the sideline
failing to stop the clock
communication after H-Bey's catch wasn't good
forced it instead of throwing it away when nothing was there
complete breakdown on defense
> giving up the stinkin' 2-point conversion

Your words. 

At what point in time do you (and the Tomlin nuthuggers) take all these items into consideration as falling squarely onto the head coach's shoulders?

Does Belichick in crunch time, at that very key moment of a game, need to YELL INTO Josh McDaniels face to make sure McDaniels knows what Brady needs to be doing? Ever see that moment on camera? Seems the Patriots do the right things in those situations. The Patriots are ready in that moment far more often than not! And they win games in that moment all the time. 

Tomlin is clearly shouting at Haley what Tomlin wants in that moment. The play call is clearly Tomlin's doing. 

Your bullet points don't even hit on other sad sorry realities in those waning moments ...

> The last play saw only one (1) WR running a pass route ... That's one WR ... QB's eyes glued on him the entire route ... 5 defenders reading those eyes and converging towards the center of the field ... the SQUEEZE was on that WR ... just utterly STUPID idea ...

> How is it that Haley even concentrates in that moment and gets clear communication to Ben with Tomlin SCREAMING IN HIS FACE? Explain it to me how Haley functions there? 

> It never should have gotten to that moment in the first place. Home game, home crowd, late 4th Quarter lead ... it's embarrassing to be a Steelers fan with Tomlin running this shit show of world class talent ...

The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:This Sunday's pending home loss against the Patriots NEEDS to be a referendum on Tomlin ... but the yinzers and Tomlin nuthuggers will find a way to blame ______________. (*Pick your poison: a tragic Shazier injury, a Antonio Brown sore toe, a Le'Veon quad injury, ill-preparedness on behalf of Sean Spence, a stupid locker room live video demo, the referees, Todd Haley's play calling, etc.) ...

... and yep, it was the "referees" ...

mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-22-2017, 02:38 AM

(12-22-2017, 01:59 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: Tim, you just detailed FAILURES on both offense and defense at the end of a football game:

> time out used prematurely
> failing to get out of bounds
> the personnel grouping; some of our best talent was on the sideline
failing to stop the clock
communication after H-Bey's catch wasn't good
forced it instead of throwing it away when nothing was there
complete breakdown on defense
> giving up the stinkin' 2-point conversion

Your words. 

Lake, I know I was pointing out failures. I was acknowledging many of your points. The difference is, I realize that perfection is not possible. 

But the fact is, we outplayed them in nearly every phase of the game and should've won. New England won this game on a technicality. It was decided by a lame rule and poor officiating. Hardly the first time they've been the beneficiary of such a scenario.  Eyes And then they got a lucky bounce. I can live with that. Let's get 'em in the playoffs. 

(12-22-2017, 01:59 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: At what point in time do you (and the Tomlin nuthuggers) take all these items into consideration as falling squarely onto the head coach's shoulders? 

Does Belichick in crunch time, at that very key moment of a game, need to YELL INTO Josh McDaniels face to make sure McDaniels knows what Brady needs to be doing? Ever see that moment on camera? Seems the Patriots do the right things in those situations. The Patriots are ready in that moment far more often than not! And they win games in that moment all the time. 

We got edged out by a quality opponent on a technicality, and we did so without our best player on offense (Brown) and without our best player on defense (Shazier). Mistakes by players and coaches were made ON BOTH SIDES. Great plays and great coaching decisions took place ON BOTH SIDES. All you ever do is talk shit about what went wrong without acknowledging what went right. It gets old, dude. 

We out-gained them, held the ball longer, and if you wanna talk about shitty coaching and defensive breakdowns on Bill Belichick's part, how the FUCK do you let JuJu go 69-yds on 1st down with 0:56 left and only 1 timeout for the Steelers??? One moment, we're on our own 21... the next moment, we're on their flippin' 10 in position to win or tie. MASSIVE breakdown by New England. And then on the next play, GOAT Coach Bille leaves Jessie James WIDE open for and easy TD. The Hoodie was  BEATEN. And then... the refs intervened. 

If Tomlin's a fraud, then so is Billy B., who got outplayed and out-coached and did NOT deserve to win that game. Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good. So be it. Again... let's get 'em in the playoffs. 

(12-22-2017, 01:59 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: Your bullet points don't even hit on other sad sorry realities in those waning moments ...

> The last play saw only one (1) WR running a pass route ... That's one WR ... QB's eyes glued on him the entire route ... 5 defenders reading those eyes and converging towards the center of the field ... the SQUEEZE was on that WR ... just utterly STUPID idea ...

> How is it that Haley even concentrates in that moment and gets clear communication to Ben with Tomlin SCREAMING IN HIS FACE? Explain it to me how Haley functions there? 

> It never should have gotten to that moment in the first place. Home game, home crowd, late 4th Quarter lead ... it's embarrassing to be a Steelers fan with Tomlin running this shit show of world class talent ...

Right. I acknowledged the simple facts of what happened without losing my mind that mistakes were made in the crunch (by both teams). It happens. I was also making the point that I think Tomlin's call to be aggressive and run a play was the right call. The problem was, Ben had already told the team to clock it, and then was indecisive on the field. Again, it happens. I'm okay with it and I don't question the abilities of coach or player in that scenario. Ben took a shot, fired it thinking it'll either be a TD or incomplete since there was so much heat on the ball... and New England got a lucky bounce.  

The season continues and we move on to the next game. Let's go beat Houston.

P.S. -- Maybe you can come up with a topic to discuss other than how stupid you think Tomlin is?
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:P.S. -- Maybe you can come up with a topic to discuss other than how stupid you think Tomlin is?

It's the ONLY relevant topic Tim. Steelers might be 15-1 this season without the mental midget wearing a sideline headset ... Now they face home field elimination by a team that came into Pittsburgh back in October and completely annihilated my home team ... 

You have a nice fan forum Tim. It used to be GREAT but it has slipped into irrelevance on the world wide web because fans like me with real perspective are constantly told to STFU or our own fan perspective is classified by you, the site owner, as not being relevant. 

It's OK.  Happy  True relevance begins with REAL perspective ... I've shown up here to do you a favor bud ... to inject some viable fan perspective to a place where it's lacking ...

Laugh

The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 03:00 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...d-of-game/

For God's sake, even Inside the NFL is on this ... when the nuthuggers get on board and put heat on the Steelers organization, Tomlin will be short for this job ... He's had his run. It's time to fire his dumb ass !!!

mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-22-2017, 04:12 AM

(12-22-2017, 02:49 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: It's the ONLY relevant topic Tim. Steelers might be 15-1 this season without the mental midget wearing a sideline headset ... Now they face home field elimination by a team that came into Pittsburgh back in October and completely annihilated my home team ... 

No, it's far from the only relevant topic. Ryan Shazier's injury, for instance... far more important. Antonio Brown's recovery in time for the playoffs... far more important.  Joe Haden's return... far more important. 

(12-22-2017, 02:49 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: You have a nice fan forum Tim. It used to be GREAT but it has slipped into irrelevance on the world wide web because fans like me with real perspective are constantly told to STFU or our own fan perspective is classified by you, the site owner, as not being relevant. 

It's OK.  Happy  True relevance begins with REAL perspective ... I've shown up here to do you a favor bud ... to inject some viable fan perspective to a place where it's lacking ...

Laugh

Seriously?  Laugh  Lake, this forum was never "great" nor even particularly relevant football-wise. It was as much about politics and matters of faith as it was the Steelers in the old days because that's what I felt like talking about. The site itself was pretty informative and entertaining from a historical perspective in the very early days of the web compared to what little was otherwise available, before social networks and countless "legitimate" sites popped up that do it far better than an early adopter like me could ever do. 

But the board was fun in the early days. And there were some awesome people who were part of it. Times have obviously changed. People don't use message boards anymore. There's no "like" button, no update alerts, you can't login properly from your phone and I'm too lazy to learn how to fix it. Frankly, the main reason I tried this board was in an effort to support discussion of the old game videos (something I was enjoying tremendously with other classic game nerds on YouTube until they started pulling down all of the videos). Unfortunately, my poor pre-Y2K web skills won't allow me to get it working right even for that application. But at least I can still share the videos with the world.  Smokin

In any case, you showed up too late and completely missed the BEST days of the board/site, Lake... and you were never one of the better parts of it even after you arrived. No offense.  Wavehello

Mike Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the NFL in my opinion. I "get" that you don't agree and don't like him. I realize most NFL front offices can't match you intellectually, Lake, which is why I also believe the majority of teams in this league would STUPIDLY consider Tomlin a considerable upgrade to what they currently have and would jump at the chance to get him. 

Such morons...  Pi_bigsmile

But we're "stuck" with him for the foreseeable future. Every coach runs his course. But Tomlin is still young and successful. If he wants to go 10 more years, he'll be our coach. Maybe longer. May as well get used to it.

On that, I'm kinda done with this topic, at least for now. I like Tomlin. You don't. Everyone gets it.
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 09:51 AM

(12-21-2017, 11:55 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/wat...-patriots/

Crash, I hate saying this but you need to wake up. 

Watch the video link above and tell me the decision to NOT spike the football is anybody but Tomlin's decision. In the video Tomlin is clearly SCREAMING in Haley's ear what to do ... What a total and complete FAILURE of a coach !!!

Tomlin told Haley to run a play.  

Tomlin DID NOT, tell Haley to sit Martavis Bryant for 5 of their last 7 plays, including three straight in the red zone.  

Haley's in charge of who plays on offense, and has been for six years.  With complete backing of the man who hired him, Art Rooney II.    

That's where the problems start.  

Quote:For God's sake, even Inside the NFL is on this ... when the nuthuggers get on board and put heat on the Steelers organization, Tomlin will be short for this job ... He's had his run. It's time to fire his dumb ass !!!

So grow a fucking set of balls and say you want Todd Haley as head coach.  

Because that's what is going to happen if Tomlin gets fired.  

So either admit that's what you want to see, or kindly shut your fucking mouth.  
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2017, 10:13 AM by Crash.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:I don't understand the personnel grouping in that situation. Some of our best talent was on the sideline and failing to stop the clock was massive.

Because that's what Toddy's been doing for six years and no one stops him, and fans don't call him out for it.

Marvin Lewis lost that divisional playoff game two years ago because he called time out before a 4th down play when Haley had all of his backup tight ends on the field, then following the time out Haley put the WR's back on the field, they converted, they won.

The NEXT week in Denver, Haley put the same tight ends back on the field prior to a 4th and 3 play, he had Spaeth, Miller, Jesse James, and Wheaton on the field. He took Bryant (who scored the previous week) off the field so Jesse James and his 1 catch for three yards in a month ass (Just like DHB and his 2 catches all season ass was on the field Sunday and Bryant again was removed) could run a gimmick play out of the backfield as the primary receiver.

Kubiak didn't call timeout, he let Haley and his 5th grade recess play sink himself, the play failed, we lost, Denver won the Super Bowl.

Six years of the same shit: Todd Haley trying to show everyone how clever he is.

At the expense of Ben Roethlisberger's legacy and his once certain Hall of Fame career.

And no one can stop Haley because he's Art II's little bitch.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 12:29 PM

man if Tomlin is one of the best coaches then I have no clue what the standard is. I always thought the standard was winning the superbowl. The abortion on the sideline during the replay was self evident of a coaching staff in chaos. I suppose that's ok. I guess I'm happy with another playoff appearance. One and done this year. So much talent. So many good hits on the draft lately Our coordinators are horrendous and Tomlin does nothing. Shazier now gone. Dupree playing awful. Still getting gashed on runs. Our D coordinator tells us the defense was just fine for "most" of the game. Ok I'm happy as anything. Glad we got into the playoffs. Glad we'll probably finish with 12 wins if we can somehow beat the Texans and Browns. But with the effort this team puts out against teams like that we might not see 13 wins. Pats own us. They beat us like rented mules over and over but I guess we're ok with that cause we have a winning record every year and we get to the playoffs. I'm on board. I was never a great part of this board in the early years either. I'm going to now watch a bunch of the old games and enjoy those I guess.
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Butler is a dope. Like I said he looks more clueless at his job than Haley does at his.

Haley supporters on Twitter are using Brown's injury to defend him.

Haley had Brown in New York in 2014 in the red zone, this is what he came up with.

More backup tight ends and gimmicks.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highl...ot-so-much

They lost.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-22-2017, 03:58 PM

(12-22-2017, 12:29 PM)Rollers Wrote: man if Tomlin is one of the best coaches then I have no clue what the standard is. 

Exactly.  Nerd  

But I'm glad you're here, rollers.  Thumbsup

If you're watching classic games, I'd highly recommend this one: 1979 Steelers vs Browns
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-22-2017, 04:02 PM

(12-22-2017, 09:51 AM)Crash Wrote: So #%%& % #!%& !# #$%! %$#!& and say you want Todd Haley as head coach.  

Because that's what is going to happen if Tomlin gets fired.  

So either admit that's what you want to see, or kindly $#%$ &%$# %$!$%&$ &%$#!.  

Crash... no. Please read the code of conduct and edit your post accordingly.
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Again Crash, you aren't in the ballpark ...

I don't like Haley either. Sunday's 4th Quarter meltdown is a great example why. Ben was ON FIRE (really for a few weeks straight) and just when the offense could put a lid on this game, Haley's offense goes 3-and-out against a very opportunistic team ... puts the ball right back in to Brady's hands at precisely the wrong moment. 

Where was the urgency to ice this game at that point in time? Tomlin sure had urgency in the final few seconds ... 

Nobody holds Tomlin accountable for Haley's hiring, for Haley's offense, for Haley's play calling ... Rooney gets the blame ...  Pi_nervous

Sacrilege !@!! 

Blame Rooney!  Pi_blackeye

Personally I don't believe Haley would be "next man up" anyways ... If THAT were the case then Bill Cowher would have never got hired, nor would Tomlin have ... It's NOT the Rooney way, Crash, but you're clearly not up to snuff on how the Steelers hire head coaches. Or maybe you're just forgetting how they go about that? 

Tomlin will coach until the Steelers brass can't handle the fan base any longer ... Steelers Nation already has a rift and it's growing ... a few more unexplainable Tomlin team meltdowns will gash it wide open ...

Like I said to start this thread off, it's time to hold Tomlin's feet to the fire NOW. There's enough evidence he's a weak coach already to support his removal. Sunday's debacle only enforces it. I was prepared for it. Were you? The Steelers organization has given him a Super Bowl ready team, and he's failing to get them over the top ...

The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 04:46 PM

And truthfully, the NFL is LOADED with coaching assistants waiting in the wings for their crack at it. It's a poor argument to suggest Tomlin is somehow the end-all be-all and that nobody else out there could win with Big Ben, Antonio, Bell, and the Steelers core group of veterans.

mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-22-2017, 05:23 PM

(12-22-2017, 04:32 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: Personally I don't believe Haley would be "next man up" anyways ... 

Here, we agree.
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 05:32 PM

You're forgetting something Lake.  

The man who hired the last three Steelers head coaches is dead. The last being hired because Dan Rooney went over Art II's head and hired Tomlin.

Art II actually offered the job to Russ Grimm (another Pittsburgh guy), and he accepted, but while they were discussing money terms (Usually a mere formality AFTER you get the job), the story goes that Gene Upshaw called Dan (they were very close) and told him that they should hire a minority coach because it wouldn't look right if they didn't because of the naming of the Rooney Rule.  

Mike Prisuta of WDVE, who works on the Steelers radio network to this day, and who was drinking buddies with Grimm, was the FIRST ONE to report Grimm was hired.  It's not hard to figure out where Prisuta got his info.    

There are no more "Rooney's", with Dan gone it's basically Art II, his brother Dan Jr, and Art II's son, 28 year old Danny Rooney who's "next in line" to succeed his father who just turned 65.  The Rooney twins (Dan's brothers) are out, Art Jr. holds only a minor ownership shake now and runs the family real estate business, Tim Rooney cashed out his 16% and the McGinley family cashed out most of their shares out also.  The old Mom and Pop Rooney family ownership is long gone.  

I wish the Rooney's would have stood up to Goodell then also, but as always, they didn't.    

Quote:Nobody holds Tomlin accountable for Haley's hiring, for Haley's offense, for Haley's play calling ... Rooney gets the blame ...

Tomlin didn't want Haley, Tomlin didn't hire Haley.  Art II did.  

Where Tomlin gets blame from me is he won't go to bat for his quarterback who hates Haley, for the rest of the team who hates Haley, and for the assistant coaches along with the players who want Haley off the sidelines and up in the coaches booth on game day.  

Tomlin's the only one who can stand up to Art II and demand change, he hasn't done that.  

And if he won't? That's on him.  If he's not allowed to put Haley up in the booth per Art II?  Tomlin should walk away and save his own neck.  

Quote:I was prepared for it. Were you?

Yup, because Haley's the ONLY OC in the Ben Era yet to beat the Pats with Brady.

The last two series on offense are a perfect example why.  

Quote:Where was the urgency to ice this game at that point in time? Tomlin sure had urgency in the final few seconds ...

Haley tried do what Art II has wanted since the end of the 2009 season:  Have a 4th quarter lead and try to milk the clock like Rocky and Franco did 40 years earlier.  Dick LeBeau wasn't allowed to be blamed for his eight blown 4th quarter leads that year.  Art II blamed the lack of a 4th quarter running game and Ben/Arians, which if anyone actually watched that season knew that wasn't why they had that 5 game losing streak.  

The dynamics of this team started to change in 2009 when Dan Rooney became Ambassador Rooney, and TEAM LAWYER, TEAM EMPLOYEE Art Rooney II became STEELERS OWNER Art Rooney II and he began sticking his unqualified beak into ON FIELD FOOTBALL related matters.  

And it hasn't been the same since.

Quote:The Steelers organization has given him a Super Bowl ready team, and he's failing to get them over the top ...

Tomlin won 60 games, two AFC titles, and a ring in five years on the job.  His 2010 and 2011 teams won 12 games back to back, for only the 2nd time in TEAM HISTORY.  

And then Art II thought he was an expert on quarterback play and it all changed.  

And not for the better. 

Tomlin deserves to have his team back without Todd Haley.

Fire Haley.

Promote Randy Fichtner.

Hire Charlie Batch as QB coach.

Send #7 out as a champion.  

It's not that difficult.  
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2017, 05:50 PM by Crash.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 05:38 PM

(12-22-2017, 05:23 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(12-22-2017, 04:32 PM)The Lakelander Wrote: Personally I don't believe Haley would be "next man up" anyways ... 

Here, we agree.

Haley wants that job more than anything else in the world.  Everyone knows it.  

He'd offer to coach that team for $2 mil a year if he could.  Tomlin makes over three times that amount.

Art II is all about making money.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-22-2017, 11:04 PM

(12-22-2017, 03:58 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(12-22-2017, 12:29 PM)Rollers Wrote: man if Tomlin is one of the best coaches then I have no clue what the standard is. 

Exactly.  Nerd  

If you're watching classic games, I'd highly recommend this one: 1979 Steelers vs Browns

i've been clueless before
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-22-2017, 11:52 PM

(12-22-2017, 11:04 PM)Rollers Wrote: i've been clueless before

Laugh
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-23-2017, 02:14 AM

OK Crash. I get your thinking. It's Haley's fault through Art Rooney II. Tomlin is absolved. 

Let's talk again next season bud. Big Ben is likely to hang it up. He's got a 14 season, motorcycle crash induced concussion brain, 477 sack, 51,000 passing yard, Hall of Fame guaranteed career ... He's also got 3 growing young children ... And let's be honest about the cesspool the NFL is ... Reading Ben's Wikipedia page is a swim through the deep end of the NFL cesspool ...

Ben has MANY Steelers brethren on the other side of retirement (Hines, Heath, Jerome, Willie, Alan, etc.) and so he sees that it's a huge blessing to get out while the getting's good ... 

Once Ben is gone, Tomlin's Steelers will "crash" and burn. Instantly. Steelers win games BECAUSE of Big Ben's field presence ... Tomlin isn't Chuck Noll (not even remotely) and Tomlin won't keep the team swimming around .500 ball when Ben is gone. All these close games the Steelers downplay and win by a last minute field goal will soon be in the loss column. Did you see the schedule next season? Steelers will be lucky to do 6-10 with a Roethlisbergerless Steelers offense and this horrendous defense we have ...

The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

12-23-2017, 02:27 AM

... and if Ben announces quickly then Le'Veon Bell has NO REASON to sign a contract offered to him by the Steelers. The Super Bowl hopes of this team will have just went up in a thin spire of smoke ... 

The fallout will be monumental ... 

Throw in Shazier ... he may never play again? ... or at the very least would be wise NOT to ...

Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-23-2017, 12:59 PM

(12-22-2017, 03:58 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

Exactly.  Nerd  

watching it now actually
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-23-2017, 04:42 PM

(12-23-2017, 12:59 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(12-22-2017, 03:58 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: If you're watching classic games, I'd highly recommend this one: 1979 Steelers vs Browns

watching it now actually

Take note... the crowd begins booing Bradshaw at 2:02:25 when he sails a pass out of bounds over Stallworth's head. They boo again at 2:04:29 when Bradshaw runs the same play with the same result... Stallworth is covered and Bradshaw throws it away. 

3 Super Bowl victories, a Super Bowl MVP, a league MVP... and folks are still booing Terry. 

A couple of plays later on 3rd and 1, Bradshaw calls a surprising pass and hits Grossman for 50 yds and the booing is done for the day. But MAAAAAANNNN... the nature of Pittsburgh fans to boo a Hall of Famer baffled me then, and it baffles me today. I've been to close to 40 Steelers games in person and I have NEVER, will NEVER, boo a Steeler. Ever. 

In the privacy of my home... a different story sometimes.  Laugh But when you're there and the players can hear you? Never.

Enjoy the game, rollers. One of my all-time favorites and perhaps the most important regular season game in Steelers history.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-23-2017, 09:10 PM

That was a pretty good defense the Steelers had and Sipe torched them a little
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-23-2017, 09:34 PM

(12-23-2017, 09:10 PM)Rollers Wrote: That was a pretty good defense the Steelers had and Sipe torched them a little

Yeah, #2 defense in the NFL. Sipe lit 'em up early, but they sacked him 5 times late (3 times in the 4th quarter and 2 times in OT) and that's what allowed the comeback... getting off the field and giving the ball back to Bradshaw late in the game. 

L.C. Greenwood late = BAD ASS! Should be in the Hall of Fame. 

The Browns' passing game was pretty killer in those days. Have you watched the other Browns game form '79? The teams combine for almost 1,000 yards. CRAZY! 361 yds rushing (!!!) for Pittsburgh and Sipe just goes nuts. 

1979 Steelers 51 at Browns 35