1996 Steelers 13 at Oilers 23
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-16-2017, 08:30 PM

1996 Steelers 13 at Oilers 23

Trailing 13-9 in the 4th quarter of a very evenly matched contest that features tons of trash talk prior to the game, the Oilers score 2 TDs in a span of 2 minutes to break things open. Houston's first TD of the game comes on a 34-yd hitch-and-go from Chandler to Willie Davis that burns Rod Woodson with 5 minutes to play, giving Houston a 16-13 lead. On Pittsburgh's next offensive play, the ball is swatted out of Mike Tomczak's hand as he drops back to pass. John Jackson initially appears to recover it between his knees, but the ball squirts out of the pile and as Bettis stoops to pick it up, he's knocked off the ball by LB Barren Wortham who recovers at the Steelers 5-yd line. Three plays later, Eddie George takes it in from 2 yards out to give the Oilers a 23-13 win. Video features several pregame clips about the brawls and trash talk from the previous Steelers/Oilers game.
RJW
Special Teamer

12-19-2017, 03:54 PM

1) Tomlin gets brutalized for losing road games as big favorites to crap teams, but this should remind us that Cowher's teams did it, too.

2) I hated that Woodson left and still had so much success after the Steelers, but this reminds me that he had an up and down season coming off that ACL tear. He got a burned a few times this year, especially in the playoffs. Always wondered what would have happened if he stayed in Pittsburgh and switched to safety here. Was he willing to switch for '97 or did he insist he was still all-pro level at CB?

Also caught during this game, rookie Terrell Owens first NFL touchdown against the Bungles.

Tim, I've been lurking here for awhile trying to get caught up watching as many games as I could. Thank you posting these! There's various guys on YT who post all the Bills stuff, Patriots, Dolphins and there was Browns guy who had a treasure trove only to get sent to the gulag by the NFL a few years back. I've been waiting for a Steelers guy so thank you so much. I'm sure you get tons of requests but my favorite team of those old days was the 1989 squad. Any of those ever coming up? I know they're prob hard to come by but I'm dying to see the Houston game in the snow, the Chargers game with Woodson's KO return TD (first game I ever went to) and the Minnesota, Cleveland (not 51-0) and Cincinnati game (not 41-10). That was one of the most fascinating teams in NFL history. Thanks again!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-21-2017, 07:18 AM

(12-19-2017, 03:54 PM)RJW Wrote: 1) Tomlin gets brutalized for losing road games as big favorites to crap teams, but this should remind us that Cowher's teams did it, too.

Absolutely true. How 'bout the loss to '95 expansion Jaguars?  Sick How 'bout the 2002 loss to the expansion Texans???  Sick Sick Sick  I'll be posting that debacle soon, but not before this week's game vs. Houston. 

(12-19-2017, 03:54 PM)RJW Wrote: 2) I hated that Woodson left and still had so much success after the Steelers, but this reminds me that he had an up and down season coming off that ACL tear. He got a burned a few times this year, especially in the playoffs. Always wondered what would have happened if he stayed in Pittsburgh and switched to safety here. Was he willing to switch for '97 or did he insist he was still all-pro level at CB? 

I'll never forgive Tom Donahoe for pushing Woodson out. Woodson probably deserves some of the blame for being prideful, but mostly, I think Donahoe was responsible. Rod had some tough moments in 2006, but he also had some fantastic moments. A huge playmaker even at less than 100%. It truly pains me that he got his ring with Baltimore. 

(12-19-2017, 03:54 PM)RJW Wrote: Tim, I've been lurking here for awhile trying to get caught up watching as many games as I could. Thank you posting these! There's various guys on YT who post all the Bills stuff, Patriots, Dolphins and there was Browns guy who had a treasure trove only to get sent to the gulag by the NFL a few years back. I've been waiting for a Steelers guy so thank you so much. I'm sure you get tons of requests but my favorite team of those old days was the 1989 squad. Any of those ever coming up? I know they're prob hard to come by but I'm dying to see the Houston game in the snow, the Chargers game with Woodson's KO return TD (first game I ever went to) and the Minnesota, Cleveland (not 51-0) and Cincinnati game (not 41-10). That was one of the most fascinating teams in NFL history. Thanks again!

Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 games I currently have from '89 are already on the site. The only one I haven't posted yet is the 20-0 loss to Chicago.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

07-03-2018, 02:47 AM

In addition to clips about the brawl in Pittsburgh from ESPN and Fox, NBC has a nice pregame feature on the Steelers season to date. Among those interviewed are Bill Cowher, Dan Rooney, and Mike Tomczak.

After the game, highlights from NFL Primetime.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2018, 06:18 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-09-2018, 02:10 AM

Cowher in retirement has become a better coach.

He lost to three different first year expansion teams.

The Bengals in 1998 were 3-13, two wins against Cowher.

We won't even mention his post seasons.