1992 AFC Playoffs Steelers 3 vs Bills 24
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-30-2017, 12:33 AM

1992 AFC Playoffs Steelers 3 vs Bills 24

The game starts out well enough when the Steelers stuff the Bills on 4th and 1 near midfield on their opening drive and the Steelers quickly advance to the Buffalo 12. But Darryl Talley sacks Neil O'Donnell for a 9-yd loss on 3rd down and the Steelers settle for an Anderson FG and a 3-0 lead. The Steelers are driving toward another score when Nate Odomes picks off O'Donnell at the 34. Buffalo fails to convert that turnover into points, but they cash in on their next opportunity when Bruce Smith sack/strips O'Donnell near midfield. Frank Reich drives Buffalo 59 yds in 9 plays, capped by a 1-yd TD pass with 1:56 to go in the half. O'Donnell attempts a 2-minute drill but is intercepted again at the Buffalo 18 to bring the half to a close. Even with Barry Foster running well (104 yds on 20 carries), the Steelers fail to cross the goal line. When Rod Woodson leaves the game due to a head injury, Reich quickly takes advantage, hitting James Lofton for a 17-yd TD over Woodson's backup, Sammy Walker. Trailing 14-3, the Steelers keep fighting and drive to the Buffalo 15, but a low snap on a FG try gets away from holder Mark Royals and the Bills take over on downs. The wheels come off in the 4th quarter as the veteran Bills add 10 points to finish off the upstart Steelers. 
RJW
Special Teamer

12-30-2017, 02:36 AM

Ahhh if Shelton comes up with that ball it's a pick-six and a whole different game. Then Sammy Walker goes in the next play...ooofff.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-31-2017, 12:52 AM

(12-30-2017, 02:36 AM)RJW Wrote: Ahhh if Shelton comes up with that ball it's a pick-six and a whole different game. Then Sammy Walker goes in the next play...ooofff.

Yeah, we had our chances in this one. I hadn't watched this game since I originally recorded it. In my memory, this was a much more dominating win for Buffalo, but in reality, this game was there for the taking had we simply converted on a few opportunities and not turned the ball over. Buffalo still outplayed us... but they weren't overpowering. Pressure on O'Donnell was the key IMO.
RJW
Special Teamer

01-04-2018, 03:48 PM

(12-31-2017, 12:52 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 02:36 AM)RJW Wrote: Ahhh if Shelton comes up with that ball it's a pick-six and a whole different game. Then Sammy Walker goes in the next play...ooofff.

Yeah, we had our chances in this one. I hadn't watched this game since I originally recorded it. In my memory, this was a much more dominating win for Buffalo, but in reality, this game was there for the taking had we simply converted on a few opportunities and not turned the ball over. Buffalo still outplayed us... but they weren't overpowering. Pressure on O'Donnell was the key IMO.

And I didn't even remember how late in the 3Q it was until I watched it again. I don't think the Steelers pull this out even if they're up 10-7 heading to the 4th. But that Lofton TD made it 14-3 and just took the air out of the place.
ECboy
Special Teamer

02-26-2018, 11:37 AM

What was evident on these early Cowher teams in 1992 and 1993 was just how badly in need of a good WR we were.
Eric Green was the best receiver and Jeff Graham wasn't too bad either but when Dwight Stone is your no.2 WR, you know you're in trouble.
Also, I always thought Adrian Cooper was highly underrated and rewatching these old games confirms it, he was a real stud imo.